1 hour ago, parxyz said:

It's all just a big plan put in place to benefit the two favourite sons of Scottish Football, and the fact that this is *rumoured to be* getting lapped up by he Championship clubs is a disgrace. I for one will be absolutely disgusted if I find out we've voted for this pish.

According to our chairman in todays paper there has been no official proposals put to the clubs to vote on or discuss, they did this last year as well, seems like an attempt to sell a few more copies of certain paper.

12-16-16 (no colt teams)

Keep the top tier the same, tiers 2 and 3 follow the Polish model of 2 rounds of 15 then split 8/8 for one round of 7 games, total of 37. Teams that finish 1-4 and 9-12 get the extra home game.

Tier 1 / Tier 2 relegation & playoffs same as now, bottom 2 in tier 2 straight down

Winner of tier 3 straight up, teams 2-5 in tier 3 play off like current English lower leagues for 2nd promotion spot. Bottom of tier 3 straight down replaced by HL/LL playoff winner. 2nd bottom in tier 3 plays loser of HL/LL playoff.

It's obviously still shite and folk would argue too many meaningless games in the bottom half of the 16 team leagues but it would combat the "death spiral championship spending" and "4 times a season" issues in the lower leagues.

Also rename the fucking leagues differently from England. And no colt teams.

edit: can't count

Edited by Fuctifano

It will probably never happen because it’s too drastic a reshuffle for our governing bodies to consider, but I’d be on board with that structure. Bigger divisions with more promotions and relegations should keep opponents fresh. Plus, if they’re so desperate to go down this colts route (it’s the only reason we’d have the restructure in the first place), it would limit the amount of times actual clubs have to deal with them.

The top flight has been the “Premiership” for several years now and managers, players, pundits and journos still almost exclusively call it the “SPL”

The names really don’t matter.
BT Sport in some ads not long ago thought SPFL was Scottish Premier Football League. Regardless of name folk'll still cock it up.

Amazing in a thread about ‘Colt’ sides the most embarrassing post is a Falkirk fan trying to lord it up because they’ve won the Challenge Cup of all things.

About as minter-iffic as you can possibly get.

Embarrassing for the Pars no doubt, nearly 30 years and still never won a competition that you are trying to make out is diddy and beneath your club...[emoji16]

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Embarrassing for the Pars no doubt, nearly 30 years and still never won a competition that you are trying to make out is diddy and beneath your club...emoji16.png

We got to the final in 07 or 08 and I didn't even go. That's how exciting the competition is.

We lost money playing in it last season and should seriously look at pulling out unless we see it as good experience for the Under 19s.

We got to the final in 07 or 08 and I didn't even go. That's how exciting the competition is.
We lost money playing in it last season and should seriously look at pulling out unless we see it as good experience for the Under 19s.

I don’t disagree actually.
It was a decent competition a few years back but some of these ridiculous changes have turned it into a joke and if there was ever a plan to use to allow lower league clubs to generate a bit of additional income, that’s well and truly fucked.
I’d say it’s just about end of life for the competition sadly....

On 5/7/2019 at 09:34, LeodhasXD said:

I remember last time it was touted to split the top two leagues into 3 leagues of 8 come the end of the season. 3 rounds against the other 11 then 7 in the split makes it down to 40.

IIRC the 12-12/8-8-8 proposal was based on an earlier split after 22 games, then a 14 game H&A round robin with the original points either being halved (In the top and bottom section) or scrapped completely (the middle)

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

IIRC the 12-12/8-8-8 proposal was based on an earlier split after 22 games, then a 14 game H&A round robin with the original points either being halved (In the top and bottom section) or scrapped completely (the middle)

Changed my mind scratch any kind of split then. The Nation's League sounds less convoluted.

On 5/9/2019 at 00:35, Poet of the Macabre said:

The top flight has been the “Premiership” for several years now and managers, players, pundits and journos still almost exclusively call it the “SPL”

The names really don’t matter.

I think it's died out now but for many many months pundits were referring to the renamed Scottish Premiership as "the SPFL".  Annoying.

Meanwhile, 

I'd welcome bigger leagues if it meant not playing a small number of opponents so many times, but still having about the same or maybe a couple more games.

Splits have worked well in the top league so why not get creative elsewhere?

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Surely those clubs pushing for 12-team league with 44 games a season are just desperately looking for extra home matches due to gaps in the budget?

Any change to the league system that includes 'Colt' sides and/or keeps the routine of playing sides 4x per season, should be swiftly chucked into the bin.

There’s nobody pushing for a 44 game season plus 6 play off matches possibly for one club - there would be some form of split