Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

There’s nobody pushing for a 44 game season plus 6 play off matches possibly for one club - there would be some form of split

That'll be news to the Stenny chairman who says that's exactly what some teams were calling for.

 

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 20:26, roman_bairn said:


I don’t disagree actually.
It was a decent competition a few years back 

No it wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we not just have three leagues of 18 with 3 up & down from each division? Could have 2 teams promoted automatically and 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th contesting a play off?

Could have a proper winter break too.

Just please, f**k off with the Colts idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can we not just have three leagues of 18 with 3 up & down from each division? Could have 2 teams promoted automatically and 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th contesting a play off?

Could have a proper winter break too.

Just please, f**k off with the Colts idea

I would have thought that any push for a 54 team league would almost certainly ensure that multiple colt clubs would be admitted.
Here’s an idea, let’s not change anything.....it’s really not broken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This

lets not pander to the ugly sisters

The league is won,**** are runners up so with nothing at stake they could play their colts to tomorrow , but

We all know they wont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a suggestion:
Have the League set up 12-14-14-14.

The leagues could be enlarged gradually, or all it at once (by application).

14 teams, playing 39 matches, plus playoffs would lead to some congestion, in the calendar. My remedy to this would be to ditch the Irn-Bru Cup.

Current Premiership Play-off system would remain. 

However, there would be a 2 up 2 down automatically in the other divisions with 12th facing 3rd-5th in a playoff.

Two would automatically be relegated from League 2, but 12th would face off against the winners of a playoff between 2nd place sides in the HL and LL.

Colt teams would f**k off in this scenario.

Edited by ArabAuslander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Here's a suggestion:
Have the League set up 12-14-14-14.

The leagues could be enlarged gradually, or all it at once (by application).

14 teams, playing 39 matches, plus playoffs would lead to some congestion, in the calendar. My remedy to this would be to ditch the Irn-Bru Cup.

Current Premiership Play-off system would remain. 

However, there would be a 2 up 2 down automatically in the other divisions with 12th facing 3rd-5th in a playoff.

Two would automatically be relegated from League 2, but 12th would face off against the winners of a playoff between 2nd place sides in the HL and LL.

Colt teams would f**k off in this scenario.

I don't mind this tbh. If we're enlarging the leagues (which I don't mind as long as it remains sans-colts) then we absolutely must increase the playoff spots. If we have the lower leagues being 2 up automatically plus three play off spots, two down automatically plus one play off spot, 8/14 places in the league mean something, a similar percentage to what we have now. Any bigger than it's a nae from me, but 14 is OK. I'd also change the Premiership playoffs to match what the championship/L1/L2 currently have. 

FWIW I don't mind the current set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't mind this tbh. If we're enlarging the leagues (which I don't mind as long as it remains sans-colts) then we absolutely must increase the playoff spots. If we have the lower leagues being 2 up automatically plus three play off spots, two down automatically plus one play off spot, 8/14 places in the league mean something, a similar percentage to what we have now. Any bigger than it's a nae from me, but 14 is OK. I'd also change the Premiership playoffs to match what the championship/L1/L2 currently have. 
FWIW I don't mind the current set up. 

Where is the extra SPFL prize money coming from to fund 12 new SPFL teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like folk saying just punt the Irn Bru cup because they don't like it. It totally disregards teams in the lower leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't like folk saying just punt the Irn Bru cup because they don't like it. It totally disregards teams in the lower leagues.

The Irn Bru cup is fine. It's Tuesday night fixtures to Wales and NI that need to get to f**k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many 'Tuesday night fixtures to Wales and NI' are currently scheduled within the Challenge Cup? 

Edited by vikingTON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to think a top league of 16-18 teams would be far better in terms of variety.  But in reality, there would be so many meaningless pointless fixtures for the last 4-5 weeks that it would be awful.

For the past 2 seasons, St Johnstone have been bottom six but well clear of relegation. Our immediately pre, and post split fixtures have had an air of pre-season friendly about them unless we are playing a team in the relegation scrap.  And a bigger league would mean far more games like that.

The championship was brilliant for drama, entertainment and maintaining interest this season, as most clubs still had something to play for up until the last week or so.  Would we want to lose that?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:


Where is the extra SPFL prize money coming from to fund 12 new SPFL teams?

Lower the prize money for the League Winners from 13% of the total prize pot, to 10%.

It's hardly like that extra £400-600k is do or die for Celtic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f**k all wrong with the set up as it is on the championship. The huge, glaring problem is that our country just isn't trying hard enough to improve the quality of our players.

Playing a 44 game season for Queens, Morton and ourselves won't change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Lower the prize money for the League Winners from 13% of the total prize pot, to 10%.

It's hardly like that extra £400-600k is do or die for Celtic.

Premier clubs won’t vote that through - what benefit do they get 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

f**k all wrong with the set up as it is on the championship. The huge, glaring problem is that our country just isn't trying hard enough to improve the quality of our players.

Playing a 44 game season for Queens, Morton and ourselves won't change that.

Exactly.

People point to other leagues having B teams in the league set-up, as if that's the main reason for their success. The quantity and quality of coaches & coaching is so far ahead of Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 42 team league that splits over the season, say after 10 games it splits in half, then another ten games those 2 halfs split again to make 4 leagues, then again and again till the end of the season. Would mean at the end then the two teams going for winning it would play each other last game, 2 teams going for europe would play last game, 2 teams fighting relegation play last game,plus would give an honest reflection on the leagues rather than having a team way above its level (say Brechin when they didn't win, they would not end up in that league so no wasted season

After 10 games then division 2 (of gameday 10-19) would play the challenge cup

Your last position of last season would determine where you enter the Scottish cup, so division 21 would enter first then division 20 etc

In terms of europe I would have the teams in division 1 going into the Champions league and division 2 going into europa league with the scottish cup winners going into qualifing for europa league

You might say midtable teams would be bored of having to play for nothing but over time I could see division pairs becoming friends, say Arbroath and Kilmarnock finished in division 10, then they'd play last game and be like "season 2022-2023 division 10 friendship game" 

The name would be the Scottish Fooball League "SFL" and it would be easy to set up because it requires no setup just start from scratch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:

How about a 42 team league that splits over the season, say after 10 games it splits in half, then another ten games those 2 halfs split again to make 4 leagues, then again and again till the end of the season. Would mean at the end then the two teams going for winning it would play each other last game, 2 teams going for europe would play last game, 2 teams fighting relegation play last game,plus would give an honest reflection on the leagues rather than having a team way above its level (say Brechin when they didn't win, they would not end up in that league so no wasted season

After 10 games then division 2 (of gameday 10-19) would play the challenge cup

Your last position of last season would determine where you enter the Scottish cup, so division 21 would enter first then division 20 etc

In terms of europe I would have the teams in division 1 going into the Champions league and division 2 going into europa league with the scottish cup winners going into qualifing for europa league

You might say midtable teams would be bored of having to play for nothing but over time I could see division pairs becoming friends, say Arbroath and Kilmarnock finished in division 10, then they'd play last game and be like "season 2022-2023 division 10 friendship game" 

The name would be the Scottish Fooball League "SFL" and it would be easy to set up because it requires no setup just start from scratch

4349687585_244a15c8a8.jpg.a011715f24947ef64d6c41022467ebf4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×