Can we not just have three leagues of 18 with 3 up & down from each division? Could have 2 teams promoted automatically and 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th contesting a play off?

Could have a proper winter break too.

Just please, f**k off with the Colts idea [emoji85]

Can we not just have three leagues of 18 with 3 up & down from each division? Could have 2 teams promoted automatically and 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th contesting a play off?

Could have a proper winter break too.

Just please, f**k off with the Colts idea [emoji85]

I would have thought that any push for a 54 team league would almost certainly ensure that multiple colt clubs would be admitted.
Here’s an idea, let’s not change anything.....it’s really not broken!

Here's a suggestion:
Have the League set up 12-14-14-14.

The leagues could be enlarged gradually, or all it at once (by application).

14 teams, playing 39 matches, plus playoffs would lead to some congestion, in the calendar. My remedy to this would be to ditch the Irn-Bru Cup.

Current Premiership Play-off system would remain. 

However, there would be a 2 up 2 down automatically in the other divisions with 12th facing 3rd-5th in a playoff.

Two would automatically be relegated from League 2, but 12th would face off against the winners of a playoff between 2nd place sides in the HL and LL.

Colt teams would f**k off in this scenario.

Edited by ArabAuslander

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Here's a suggestion:
Have the League set up 12-14-14-14.

The leagues could be enlarged gradually, or all it at once (by application).

14 teams, playing 39 matches, plus playoffs would lead to some congestion, in the calendar. My remedy to this would be to ditch the Irn-Bru Cup.

Current Premiership Play-off system would remain. 

However, there would be a 2 up 2 down automatically in the other divisions with 12th facing 3rd-5th in a playoff.

Two would automatically be relegated from League 2, but 12th would face off against the winners of a playoff between 2nd place sides in the HL and LL.

Colt teams would f**k off in this scenario.

I don't mind this tbh. If we're enlarging the leagues (which I don't mind as long as it remains sans-colts) then we absolutely must increase the playoff spots. If we have the lower leagues being 2 up automatically plus three play off spots, two down automatically plus one play off spot, 8/14 places in the league mean something, a similar percentage to what we have now. Any bigger than it's a nae from me, but 14 is OK. I'd also change the Premiership playoffs to match what the championship/L1/L2 currently have. 

FWIW I don't mind the current set up. 

I don't mind this tbh. If we're enlarging the leagues (which I don't mind as long as it remains sans-colts) then we absolutely must increase the playoff spots. If we have the lower leagues being 2 up automatically plus three play off spots, two down automatically plus one play off spot, 8/14 places in the league mean something, a similar percentage to what we have now. Any bigger than it's a nae from me, but 14 is OK. I'd also change the Premiership playoffs to match what the championship/L1/L2 currently have. 
FWIW I don't mind the current set up. 

Where is the extra SPFL prize money coming from to fund 12 new SPFL teams?

I used to think a top league of 16-18 teams would be far better in terms of variety.  But in reality, there would be so many meaningless pointless fixtures for the last 4-5 weeks that it would be awful.

For the past 2 seasons, St Johnstone have been bottom six but well clear of relegation. Our immediately pre, and post split fixtures have had an air of pre-season friendly about them unless we are playing a team in the relegation scrap.  And a bigger league would mean far more games like that.

The championship was brilliant for drama, entertainment and maintaining interest this season, as most clubs still had something to play for up until the last week or so.  Would we want to lose that?

11 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Where is the extra SPFL prize money coming from to fund 12 new SPFL teams?

Lower the prize money for the League Winners from 13% of the total prize pot, to 10%.

It's hardly like that extra £400-600k is do or die for Celtic.

f**k all wrong with the set up as it is on the championship. The huge, glaring problem is that our country just isn't trying hard enough to improve the quality of our players.

Playing a 44 game season for Queens, Morton and ourselves won't change that.

10 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Lower the prize money for the League Winners from 13% of the total prize pot, to 10%.

It's hardly like that extra £400-600k is do or die for Celtic.

Premier clubs won’t vote that through - what benefit do they get 

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

f**k all wrong with the set up as it is on the championship. The huge, glaring problem is that our country just isn't trying hard enough to improve the quality of our players.

Playing a 44 game season for Queens, Morton and ourselves won't change that.

Exactly.

People point to other leagues having B teams in the league set-up, as if that's the main reason for their success. The quantity and quality of coaches & coaching is so far ahead of Scotland.

How about a 42 team league that splits over the season, say after 10 games it splits in half, then another ten games those 2 halfs split again to make 4 leagues, then again and again till the end of the season. Would mean at the end then the two teams going for winning it would play each other last game, 2 teams going for europe would play last game, 2 teams fighting relegation play last game,plus would give an honest reflection on the leagues rather than having a team way above its level (say Brechin when they didn't win, they would not end up in that league so no wasted season

After 10 games then division 2 (of gameday 10-19) would play the challenge cup

Your last position of last season would determine where you enter the Scottish cup, so division 21 would enter first then division 20 etc

In terms of europe I would have the teams in division 1 going into the Champions league and division 2 going into europa league with the scottish cup winners going into qualifing for europa league

You might say midtable teams would be bored of having to play for nothing but over time I could see division pairs becoming friends, say Arbroath and Kilmarnock finished in division 10, then they'd play last game and be like "season 2022-2023 division 10 friendship game" 

The name would be the Scottish Fooball League "SFL" and it would be easy to set up because it requires no setup just start from scratch

25 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:

How about a 42 team league that splits over the season, say after 10 games it splits in half, then another ten games those 2 halfs split again to make 4 leagues, then again and again till the end of the season. Would mean at the end then the two teams going for winning it would play each other last game, 2 teams going for europe would play last game, 2 teams fighting relegation play last game,plus would give an honest reflection on the leagues rather than having a team way above its level (say Brechin when they didn't win, they would not end up in that league so no wasted season

After 10 games then division 2 (of gameday 10-19) would play the challenge cup

Your last position of last season would determine where you enter the Scottish cup, so division 21 would enter first then division 20 etc

In terms of europe I would have the teams in division 1 going into the Champions league and division 2 going into europa league with the scottish cup winners going into qualifing for europa league

You might say midtable teams would be bored of having to play for nothing but over time I could see division pairs becoming friends, say Arbroath and Kilmarnock finished in division 10, then they'd play last game and be like "season 2022-2023 division 10 friendship game" 

The name would be the Scottish Fooball League "SFL" and it would be easy to set up because it requires no setup just start from scratch

4349687585_244a15c8a8.jpg.a011715f24947ef64d6c41022467ebf4.jpg

1 minute ago, Oleksandr said:

What part is confusing? 

Nothing is confusing. It's just total fucking bollocks.

If you're at the wind up, congratulations. You got a bite.

If you're not I call you out as worse than Neil Doncaster.

On 08/05/2019 at 13:47, virginton said:

It's clearly not as straightforward as that though. Inverness' most recent recorded loss was £800k. Queen of the South's was over £300k. After a couple of years of actually being in the black for a change we also ran up a loss of over £200k for the last financial year - which is why Cappielow has got a revolving door attached to it right now. Raith Rovers lost £393k in the division below and nearly £200k in their relegation season. Falkirk recorded a loss of £303k and f**k knows how much more that will be for your all-round disaster of a campaign this time round. There is clearly a structural problem in Scottish football outside of the top flight: it's not credible to blame incompetent stewardship for uniform, massive losses at every single club.

I think that there is a valid financial issue about the current league structure and the rather high chance of getting relegated to the seaside leagues. No full-time club wants to get stuck in that dinosaur's tar pit of a division and so clubs feel obliged to spend to keep up with the others around them to avoid that fate. Six Championship clubs out of ten having a chance of going down with two games to go might well be an exciting story, but it's totally unsustainable in the medium never mind long term. Clubs are going to face administration if not worse in the very near future if such financial and sporting pressures don't subside. And let's not kid ourselves here - the standard of football in this second tier has also been the worst in living memory; it's not as if fans are getting swashbuckling, Ajax-style football as part of this 'competitive' edge to the league. 

That does not mean of course that the changes being proposed are for the good of the Scottish domestic game - most of them are just terrible ideas. But I can understand why Championship clubs might be pushing for some new form of reconstruction to make the game sustainable at this level. What I'd like to know is where the significantly increased prize money has disappeared to compared to several years ago. It's absolutely ridiculous that clubs find themselves in exactly the same boat as they were in the old SFL, when Morton for example got just £50k or something for finishing 2nd at this level in 2013. If that extra money has just been spunked on inflated player wages all round then the clubs deserve everything they get right now tbh. 

I was reminded of this post when looking at a summary of the Q&A Dunfermline held last night in their thread, where their Chairman said:

10 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Ross' report - Pretty much as per his statement the club will be looking at cutting costs and increasing revenue, just like every club in the division they are struggling financially due to the financial golden era created by Rangers* Hearts and Hibs all being in the division boosting attendances but also increasing average wages. He also touched on that this season has been unparalleled in terms of 5 members of staff leaving 14 operations carried out on players and a 6 figure sum down on the ticket sales of walk up sales. 

Ross is in favour of a 12 team championship although has reservations with how many fixtures there would be, would there be a spilt etc etc. He also said that the extra teams would be brought in from the lowland and highland leagues and that assumptions that it would be Celtic and Rangers* weren't founded in any kind of fact (I personally would worry that Celtic and Rangers would just go ahead and push this)

ETA - The club are working with the other Championship clubs to make the spread of our divisions prize money more even, only one club is against that at present and with both representatives of the Championship to the SPFL either being related (Falkirk) or leaving their job (Chairman Morton) then there is scope for some new ideas - but no way to get the Premiership to share more of their pie - Sadly Aberdeen voting with Celtic when Rangers went bust has really scuppered this.

Left all the stuff relevant to this thread in the quote, but the bold suggests that clubs have indeed fucked money up the wall on increased wages for the exact same standard of player, leaving themselves with the same struggle to scrape by as they had before prize money more or less quadrupled.

Not only that, but above and beyond the increased prize money they’ve budgeted for increased attendances based on playing clubs who bring upwards of 1000 away fans several times a season as if that was going to last. That’s particularly strange in Dunfermline’s case since they weren’t in this league when Hearts or Rangers were, but I digress.

It appears that as you said clubs have indeed thrown money at wages, and are actually using the fact there was more money in the division than normal in recent seasons as a reason to plead poverty - they just had to spend more to compete - as opposed to an opportunity to get their finances in order.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:
Left all the stuff relevant to this thread in the quote, but the bold suggests that clubs have indeed fucked money up the wall on increased wages for the exact same standard of player, leaving themselves with the same struggle to scrape by as they had before prize money more or less quadrupled.
Not only that, but above and beyond the increased prize money they’ve budgeted for increased attendances based on playing clubs who bring upwards of 1000 away fans several times a season as if that was going to last. That’s particularly strange in Dunfermline’s case since they weren’t in this league when Hearts or Rangers were, but I digress.
It appears that as you said clubs have indeed thrown money at wages, and are actually using the fact there was more money in the division than normal in recent seasons as a reason to plead poverty - they just had to spend more to compete - as opposed to an opportunity to get their finances in order.

I wouldn't say that has been our downfall tbh. It contributes but having 14 players taken to London for operations costing well in excess of £100k has burnt our fingers, but there is literally nothing you can do other to forecast that. The most we have had in previous season was 4 operations. Combine that with a fall in walk up revenue of over £100k than I don't think the board could really do much to protect the profits we have made in the last 4 seasons.

Edit to add our club budgeted on last season's gate and merchandise sales so this is a factor in the club struggling, I think it's crazy that clubs have pumped up their players wages because they are going to Easter Road instead of building up cash reserves

Edited by Adam101