Players over £100,000

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How many were successes? 

John Inglis was a good player that was sold to Aberdeen for a profit when we were relegated. Tommy Turner was a decent player, as was Gary McGinnis. 

Paul Wright was a huge success, he scored over 20 goals in both 1991/92 and 1992/93. He picked up a bad injury the next season that probably caused our relegation. Saints made a profit on him when he went to Killie, by which time Sturrock had signed George O'Boyle to replace him. 

John Davies was a bit of a target for the boo boys, from what I remember. Was he worth the money, I'm not sure. These guys were very early in my days of going to games. 

Sean McAuley was a young player but never really lived up to the hype, whilst Paul Sweeney picked up a bad injury just after signing and we never saw much of him at all. Not sure he even played on after leaving Saints? 

1 minute ago, Radford said:

John Inglis was a good player that was sold to Aberdeen for a profit when we were relegated. Tommy Turner was a decent player, as was Gary McGinnis. 

Paul Wright was a huge success, he scored over 20 goals in both 1991/92 and 1992/93. He picked up a bad injury the next season that probably caused our relegation. Saints made a profit on him when he went to Killie, by which time Sturrock had signed George O'Boyle to replace him. 

John Davies was a bit of a target for the boo boys, from what I remember. Was he worth the money, I'm not sure. These guys were very early in my days of going to games. 

Sean McAuley was a young player but never really lived up to the hype, whilst Paul Sweeney picked up a bad injury just after signing and we never saw much of him at all. Not sure he even played on after leaving Saints? 

Fair assessment,  John Davies was ok I thought, bit small,  good technically and could shoot. He split a lot of the support but I thought he was ok. Sean McAuley was decent too, he had the Man U baggage to put up with but anyone who gets on the Mainline bus when not playing is alright in my books.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Billy Dodds £400,000 from Dundee

Paul Wright £285,000 from Hibs 

John Davies £165,000 from Clydebank

Tommy Turner £100,000 from Morton

Sergi Baltacha ? from Ipswich

All in the early to mid 90's. There will be quite a few others as well. Think Gary McGinnis from Dundee United might have been six figures but could be wrong.

Tommy Lovenkrands, Paul Hartley,  and JP McBride all signed within a couple of seasons all for over £100k too

15 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Spend it wisely, or you might have to open up another one of these.

I doubt it . 

And to add - Hibs fans should be showing a bit more gratitude towards  St Mirren ie John McGinn,  Darren McGregor and Wee Stevie Mallan all learnt their trade in Paisley. 

Edited by Munoz

Davies was a frustrating player. Good passer and liked a goal or two as I recall but could also be a passenger at times. 

I do remember him winning a penalty against Airdrie with a bit of trickery that if it happened today would be a YouTube/Twitter sensation IMO.

Edited by The Saintee

By no means exhaustive but here are a few:

•  John Hendry (£200k)
  •  Scott Howie (£300k)
  • Shaun McSkimming (£350k)
  • Andy Roddie (£150k)
  • Mitchell Van Der Gaag (£400k)
  • Eddie May (£100k plus Steve Kirk & Paul McGrillen)
  • John Spencer (£500k)
  • Paul Lambert (£250k) 
  • Tommy Coyne (£125k)
  • Ged Brannan (£375k)
  • Brian Martin (£175k)

Anyone brave enough to try and guess exactly how much we spent on the likes of Caballero, Sara etc after all the "dodgy" agent's fees and third-party shenanigans were taken out of the equation??

Griffiths definitely and Harkins probably, were our last £100k+ players, I would imagine.

Please don't say that we spent as much as that on Jack Hamilton....:o 

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

By no means exhaustive but here are a few:

•  John Hendry (£200k)
  •  Scott Howie (£300k)
  • Shaun McSkimming (£350k)
  • Andy Roddie (£150k)
  • Mitchell Van Der Gaag (£400k)
  • Eddie May (£100k plus Steve Kirk & Paul McGrillen)
  • John Spencer (£500k)
  • Paul Lambert (£250k) 
  • Tommy Coyne (£125k)
  • Ged Brannan (£375k)
  • Brian Martin (£175k)

Early signs of Big Eck's health concerns right there...

1 minute ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's incredible to look back and see the fees being spent by  literally everycunt in the 90s. Even before accounting for inflation they are eyewatering compared to what clubs are willing/able to spend now. 

Was it just clubs spending what they couldn't actually afford or has this much wealth really disappeared from our game?

Game of two halves for the Motherwell ones.  The earlier ones under McLean and McLeish were broadly reinvestment of transfer fees in (eg Phil O'Donnell).  The Billy Davies ones - Brannan/Spencer - were reflective of the madness of the John Boyle era. 

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

James Collins.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

Replacement for Leigh '28 goals' Griffiths.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

£210,000 bid accepted.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

Utter goal virgin. Contributes to our relegation.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

Goes back down south and starts scoring for fun again.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

Playing in the English Championship next season with Luton.  fuckme.png.c227faba6d95ab5ea1830d07b3f63939.png.bce19bd38e1df3246611cdbfbb2cbec4.png

Someone should make a film about Hibs 2013/14 season, maybe with an epilogue of the #2016scf.  It was a diet banter years squashed into a seven month period.

On topic, I'm sure Killie paid £100k for Manuel Pascali.  Worth it IMO.  I've a feeling we paid a fee for Craig Dargo in 2000, although not sure of the amount.

Also, Motherwell bought Shaun McSkimming from us for £300k in the 90s.  The player signed up for our #TB4 bros in order to win some medals.  During his time at FP, Kilmarnock won the Scottish Cup, Motherwell won nothing.

Hard lines Shaun.

1 hour ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's incredible to look back and see the fees being spent by  literally everycunt in the 90s. Even before accounting for inflation they are eyewatering compared to what clubs are willing/able to spend now. 

Was it just clubs spending what they couldn't actually afford or has this much wealth really disappeared from our game?

Most of the transfers listed here are domestic so a lot of it was probably just the same money swilling around between a bunch of Scottish clubs.

The money Saints spent on McDougall and Somner (and Fitzpatrick's return) came from the 450k combined sale of McGarvey and Fitzpatrick. 

The money spent by TF came from the 1M sale of Ferguson but, as I said, his net spend was only 200-300k due to numerous player sales.

What set us on the path to debt was Hay spending 500-600k on his ex-Celtic cronies with all later released on frees bar Aitken who went to Aberdeen for 100k.

Lee Miller-225K (Hearts)

Charlie Telfer-206K (Newco U20's)

Steven Pressley-750K (Coventry)

Robbie Muirhead-150K (Killie)

Collin Samuel 100K (Falkirk)

Eamonn Bannon 165K (Chelsea)

Craig Conway 120K?? (Ayr)

Edited by FifeArab