Mixu Paatelainen - 100k - FC Haka

Owen Coyle - £400k - Bolton

Craig Brewster - 250k - Raith Rovers

Michael O'Neill - 350k - Newcastle

Raphael Meade - 150k - Sporting CP

Damián Casalinuovo - 200k tribunal - Platense

Willie Pettigrew - 100k - Motherwell

Jamie Dolan - 200k + player swap - Motherwell

I would complain about how little return we got for Casalinovo but he’ll always have a special place in my heart for that handball.

On 5/7/2019 at 09:41, capt_oats said:

By no means exhaustive but here are a few:

•  John Hendry (£200k)
  •  Scott Howie (£300k)
  • Shaun McSkimming (£350k)
  • Andy Roddie (£150k)
  • Mitchell Van Der Gaag (£400k)
  • Eddie May (£100k plus Steve Kirk & Paul McGrillen)
  • John Spencer (£500k)
  • Paul Lambert (£250k) 
  • Tommy Coyne (£125k)
  • Ged Brannan (£375k)
  • Brian Martin (£175k)

Alex McLeish was, and still is, a total p***k

Hamish French £150k

George O'Boyle £250k

Istvan Kozma £540k

Andrius Skerla £240k

Noel Hunt £150k

David Graham £100k

David Bingham £100k

Youssef Rossi £200k

Barry Nicholson £230k

Jack De Gier £300k

There are loads more, but that's just off the top of my head.

No, I can't see why we eventually went in to administration either.

21 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Some clubs have spent far more than I would've expected to be honest.  

Before the Bosman ruling came into effect (1996), clubs had to pay fees to get any sort of decent player, even those that were out of contract. The only players available on frees or loans were guys the "selling" club wanted shot of ASAP for whatever reason. If a player was out of contract and wanted to move, a tribunal would set the fee (like they do now with younger players, e.g. Lewis Ferguson).

Most of the fees being recalled here are from the early to mid 1990s. It sort of carried on for a while as Scottish teams were reasonably flush during the late 90s, but the Sky contract ended in 2002 and the banks stopped lending generously. That's what also led to the spate of administrations (Dundee, Livi, Motherwell). So a lot of the Premiership teams' record fees date from 2002 or earlier (Rangers with Flo, Hibs with de la Cruz, Aberdeen with Bernard).

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hamish French £150k

George O'Boyle £250k

Istvan Kozma £540k

Andrius Skerla £240k

Noel Hunt £150k

David Graham £100k

David Bingham £100k

Youssef Rossi £200k

Barry Nicholson £230k

Jack De Gier £300k

There are loads more, but that's just off the top of my head.

No, I can't see why we eventually went in to administration either.

You can also derive joy from the fact that Masterton probably approved the overdrafts of many other clubs to splash out on players and ground improvement they couldn't afford.

On 5/7/2019 at 08:24, Radford said:

John Davies was a bit of a target for the boo boys, from what I remember. Was he worth the money, I'm not sure. These guys were very early in my days of going to games. 

I think Davies suffered from the fact that we went for Owen Coyle, and ended up with him when it didn't come off.  Coyle was the target most Saints fans hoped for.

Davies was a bit Chris Millarish in the end.  Just when he started to look the part, we got shot of him.

On 5/7/2019 at 08:24, Radford said:

John Davies was a bit of a target for the boo boys, from what I remember. Was he worth the money, I'm not sure. These guys were very early in my days of going to games. 

I think Davies suffered from the fact that we went for Owen Coyle, and ended up with him when it didn't come off.  Coyle was the target most Saints fans hoped for.

Davies was a bit Chris Millarish in the end.  Just when he started to look the part, we got shot of him.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You can also derive joy from the fact that Masterton probably approved the overdrafts of many other clubs to splash out on players and ground improvement they couldn't afford.

I think at one point Masterton / BOS were the bankers for every SPL team except Celtic.

On 07/05/2019 at 23:05, Afro said:

No, we bought Wes Hoolahan from Shelbourne for £100k in January 2006. Seems halcyon days now when you consider we’ve spent, recently, £20k (apparently) on Sibbald and £5k on Josh Mullin.

Some of the fees being banded around are here are eye watering and mind boggling in equal measure. Really puts into context just how mad the 90s/early 00s we’re in Scottish football.

It was a bonkers time, amazingly some clubs just upped sticks and moved lock stock and barrel to different towns and were allowed to change their name to that of the new host town US franchise style. A mad time indeed.

2 hours ago, morrison1982 said:

I think at one point Masterton / BOS were the bankers for every SPL team except Celtic.

I don't think John Boyle had any dealings with BOS and most of our debt was liable personally to him so he was in effect the bank for Motherwell.

Masterton was at Bank of Scotland when they tried to foreclose on Celtic so after the McCann takeover they no longer did business with them. There is a lot of conspiracy stuff that BOS favoured Rangers and treated Celtic as second class. Which is probably true since Murray had all his other holdings at the bank too so he was a valuable customer for them despite any footballing liabilities.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/dark-days-ahead-for-debt-ridden-scottish-clubs-69074.html

The SPL was collectively £190m in debt at one point. That is the outcome of these mind blowing transfer fees.