Season 2018-2019 How was it for you?

Sorry I’m Brian I’ve chorred this aff ye.

The reality for me as a Rovers fan is that Barry F Smith should’ve been emptied after the play offs. But the board stuck with him and his signings were uninspiring. We all had misgivings about Nisbet. But he has been the only bright light in this meek squad. McGlynn came in knowing we had defensive frailties and that was addressed kind of with Callum Crane. But the failure to sign a right back has been our undoing. The aforementioned Crane hasn’t been all that inspiring, we all thought that his heroics for Alloa would shine through. But nah. We could’ve put 2 keepers between the sticks and still concede. Lyness and Thomson have for me been awful. McGlynn in the past would’ve had a stronger run in. This time round it’s been a bit meh.

Injuries. The season of Anterior cruciate ligament injuries. To lose any player to one is pretty brutal. For it to be to your most important player is even worse. But we went beyond that by having both Vaughan, Regan Hendry (who looked superb on his return) and Robbie Thomson have their seasons ended prematurely through them as well as losing Tony Dingwall to season ending injuries. 

Our season isn't even over, but it's been an utterly underwhelming campaign. We've scored the highest number of goals in the league, with our first 30 goal striker since Gordon Dalziel, but finished 3rd place. I reserve the right to change this in the event we go through a miracle in the playoffs. 

Injuries. The season of Anterior cruciate ligament injuries. To lose any player to one is pretty brutal. For it to be to your most important player is even worse. But we went beyond that by having both Vaughan, Regan Hendry (who looked superb on his return) and Robbie Thomson have their seasons ended prematurely through them as well as losing Tony Dingwall to season ending injuries. 
Our season isn't even over, but it's been an utterly underwhelming campaign. We've scored the highest number of goals in the league, with our first 30 goal striker since Gordon Dalziel, but finished 3rd place. I reserve the right to change this in the event we go through a miracle in the playoffs. 

Yea I was in the middle of editing the post about injuries, but the usual suspects would jump on me for addressing the #medicalbills. Your also correct that the season isn’t over. But I’m just waiting for the inevitable. We’ve had one good game in the history of the play offs.

As the thread says ‘How was it for YOU’ I shall reply about personally and not about the team.

I’m 22 and worked in retail and been to uni therefore seeing Raith on weekends has been a tough ask, therefore I only attended the odd home game. Maybe about 5/6 a season plus booked holidays for big games.

This season a new job meant weekends off (only until after February unfortunately) but with this I attended almost every game at home in that time and started attending my first away games. First one was at East Fife away which we should have been 3-0 up at half time (only 1-0) and get beat 2-1 for them to break the jinx on them that lasted decades. Although for me the atmosphere was superb and made me attend more away games which is almost a completely different feeling compared to Starks park.

After February I’ve been working weekends with the odd one off which I’d be wherever the Rovers were playing.

This season for the Rovers has been shocking but for me personally I’ve loved it. The highs the lows and that Scottish Cup game vs Dunfermline with the Vaughan hat trick was absolutely fantastic. As with the away day at Easter road at the Mash Tun in the next round.

Absolutely loved this season for me, fairy looking forward to next season, no matter where we play.

This season has surpassed expectations would of snapped your hand off for eighth and a guaranteed 2nd season in the league. (This is what comes after 23yrs in the bottom league)

After a patchy first quarter and the team adjusting to the pace of the league it’s gone really well, aye there have been a few bad performances along the way, however this was to be expected.  

Still got a minimum of 2 games to go and going to enjoy them and after Saturday if we have another 2 look forward to that.  Looking ahead to next season with Cammy coming ‘home’ and the signing of Lyons already announced can’t wait for it already whatever division we will be in

Between August and early October things were as desperate as I've seen in a long time. 

We had a manager who clearly instilled no belief in the players, and who was driving fans away with his insipid style of football, with the club reluctant to act given the fact he'd require a hefty payoff. Combine that with a woefully balanced squad (I mean one left-back in the entire squad, and that was Willie Dyer...) and it wasn't a surprise to see us hurtling towards League Two.

Jim Duffy came in and, aside from a couple of red hot performances, it felt like a matter of just limping into January and then trying to fix things. Duffy's business wasn't drastic, and only really David Ferguson came in and played every week (good player mind you...) but the difference in the team was incredible. 

After losing 1-0 to Brechin in January (with Michael Paton starting at RB and being sent off after 60 minutes...) I got a message from a P&Ber that just read 'Doon'. I felt the same, but the turnaround since that day has been nothing short of remarkable. Two defeats in 15, an incredible game against East Fife, success against the Champions, and finally winning at Stair Park. All capped off by Dom Thomas producing possibly the best run of form I've ever seen from a Dumbarton player.

With the benefit of hindsight it would've been great to get rid of Aitken after the playoffs - but I understand why we didn't, and perhaps Duffy wouldn't have fancied it back then. Keeping him has to be our #1 priority over the summer - followed by building a more balanced squad of players. I've no doubt plenty will move on (tbh I wouldn't be surprised if everyone moved on), but hopefully Duffy sticks around, because I trust him to build a squad capable of reaching the playoffs.

Tl;dr. Up until December I thought we'd be 9th at best. If the season ended in July I'd fancy us to be 4th. Jim Duffy's footballing roadshow > Stevie Aitken's footballing car crash.

This season eh? In a word....mince. At the moment the only real positive has been unearthing a gem of a player in Nisbet and the 3-0 pumping of Dunfermline. Nothing much else stands out in all honesty. That all might change if we do the unthinkable and go up via the playoffs.

My original expectation was that another play off finish would be a solid enough season. We had a few positive results in the league cup then went on that obscene run in the league, really beyond my wildest expectations and is probably the best ever following the team. Looking forward to some different away days next year and if we stay up, great.  

Edited by Mexico

Terrible.

We finished only a few points better off than last season’s team (which consisted of mainly kids), will a far superior squad of players. A real let down overall.

The fact that the only player worth watching in our squad got shipped out to Stranraer on loan was the cherry on top.

It's not over yet.
In all honesty, we have exceeded all expectations. Our aim at the start of the season was 8th or better. To be in the play offs (at the right end of the table) is remarkable.
The journey since Stewart Petrie was appointed has been amazing and it's not over yet.
We've got nothing to lose going into these games so I hope the guys give it their all. No matter the outcome, every last one of them will heroes to the Mo faithful.