Season 2018-2019. How was it for you?

Pretty bad for the most part, pretty good at the end, somehow finished 5th.

Can't say it was boring off the park either. 

A cracking season - really enjoyed it.  So grateful we're getting to extend it.

Highlight: Bizarrely enough, there's actually some competition for this.  The early hammering of Ayr was good, as was the later one of Ross County.  Thrashing Dundee 3-0 in the Cup probably wins though.  

Lowlight:  Fierce competition here, but only for the runners up positions.  The winner stands out.  Saturday against Partick Thistle was just astonishingly bad.  The stakes were extremely high and we crumpled right from kick off, in front of our biggest crowd in ages.

Goal of the season: Predictably enough, our equaliser at Aberdeen.

Player of the season:  Guess.  Dobbie would win it, even if he wasn't surrounded by people who often look like they don't really follow football.

Is it possible to have an 7/10 season even though we won the league and challenge cup?

I mean, its been lovely winning most weeks and getting 2 trophies but some performances have been pretty lack laster. Limped over the line but we got there. Injuries have been our downfall but I don't think we need a massive overhaul a la St Mirren. Would much rather us go down Livis route and keep most of the squad.

Highlight- Possibly the 2-1 new year Derby. Pummeled all game yet we won. And then Graham pummeled Rooney. 5-1 @ Tannadice was good too and the 3-3 @ Somerset (which is where the title run began IMO) and the real title winner when Lindsay scored in the 94th minute was great too. f**k it, 9/10. There's some great moments to look back on

Lowlight- The first week in January when we lost to Morton on a Friday night and then got pumped by Queens 4-0. Was also during our indiscipline time when we for 3 reds in as many games and Ketts got a ban.

POTY- Josh Mullin. Unbelievable that he didn't win all the club POTY's and didn't make the team of the year. He literally won us a cup. And has single handedly dragged us out of holes this year.

Pretty gutted to end up 4th in the table to be honest, ourselves and Ross County were streets ahead of everyone else in the league during the first 4 months of the season and we were genuine title contenders even in March.

Ultimately, injuries took their toll as well as our bizarre change from fast-flowing, counter-attacking football to rancid hoofball, especially at home. We have exceeded expectations, yet I can't help but feel that it could have been so much more.

All-in-all though, to finish in the Premiership Playoff places having been widely tipped by almost everyone to finish 9th or 10th is a tremendous achievement. I wish the players that will leave all the best and just hope that McCall doesn't replace them with inferior dross that nobody else wants.

Highlight - Dishing out an absolute humiliation to Dundee United at Tannadice. Everything clicked that night and had it finished 8-0, Dundee United could have had no complaints. Honourable mention to the 5-1 win at Cappielow, which was just funny.

Lowlight - Auchinleck F***ing Talbot. Saw it coming a mile off but it didn't make it any easier to take. 

POTY - Lawrence Shankland.  Wouldn't dare even suggest anyone else. 

Ah, VirginTon plays his usual game. Quick to have a pop, but dives back into his burrow until the dust has settled if you hit him with a zinger!  At the risk of mixing my metaphors here, a one-trick pony with zero football knowledge and no backbone but like a scolded puppy you just know he'll be back for more. Bless.  

Ah, VirginTon plays his usual game. Quick to have a pop, but dives back into his burrow until the dust has settled if you hit him with a zinger!  At the risk of mixing my metaphors here, a one-trick pony with zero football knowledge and no backbone but like a scolded puppy you just know he'll be back for more. Bless.  

^^^ word salad

On 07/05/2019 at 18:50, Monkey Tennis said:

A cracking season - really enjoyed it.  So grateful we're getting to extend it.

Highlight: Thrashing Dundee 3-0 in the Cup probably wins though.  

That was thoroughly enjoyable as a neutral,  the Dee getting a thoroughly deserved Scottish Cup mauling. 

I don't think ours was that bad tbh. The 2018 part of the season was obviously mince, but once Caldwell made his signings I quite enjoyed 2019, even though we were cutting about the bottom two for most of it.

As Bairnardo says, too many teams had the arse fall out of their seasons. I remember the Dundee Utd v Dunfermline thread at the start of the season and the pars fans were all praising their team to the heavens. A huge contrast with how they present now. 

I love playing in this league. I always have done. I'm quite looking forward to next season now.

On 08/05/2019 at 10:53, AyrTroopMajor said:

Highlight - Dishing out an absolute humiliation to Dundee United at Tannadice. Everything clicked that night and had it finished 8-0, Dundee United could have had no complaints. Honourable mention to the 5-1 win at Cappielow, which was just funny.

:lol: You greedy cunt.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

:lol: You greedy cunt.

In the aftermath of the game, I was telling anyone that would listen that it could have been 6 or 7. I have now upped it to 8. Give it a year and I will probably have moved onto 9 or 10, as I casually invent chances for Ayr that never happened while completely ignoring any chances that Dundee United may have had.

We did have 14 shots on goal to be fair.

10 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

In the aftermath of the game, I was telling anyone that would listen that it could have been 6 or 7. I have now upped it to 8. Give it a year and I will probably have moved onto 9 or 10, as I casually invent chances for Ayr that never happened while completely ignoring any chances that Dundee United may have had.

We were utterly outplayed in that game and were well beaten. 3-0 with three minutes to go was absolutely fair, no complaints at all; 5-0 is rubbing it in a bit but these things happen. 8-0 is just pure gluttony.

I’d have said the same about the Cappielow game. Every time you got the ball it looked like you’d score again. Moffatt, Moore, anyone who fancied going for a run really. A complete and utter capitulation.

I’d have said the same about the Cappielow game. Every time you got the ball it looked like you’d score again. Moffatt, Moore, anyone who fancied going for a run really. A complete and utter capitulation.
That was a weird one, with 25 mins to go it could have went either way

On 5/10/2019 at 17:32, invergowrie arab said:

We finished second in a league for only the second time in my 35 years following the club and yet it was turgid.

Utter dogshit. Not a single highlight.

St Mirren away was nice. Also relegating Falkirk was okay.

If we go up, then yeah that'll be good.