Now that the title race is over, I decided to check out a stat that I thought I must have misheard from a few weeks back - I think it was in the build-up to the Aberdeen-Celtic SF.

They were discussing Scott Bain's promotion to the starting line-up, and someone came up with his shut-out stats in all competitions this season. I think he was running at something like 80%, which seemed far too high for me. I'm not sure how much you can trust the published numbers, but here's the record for this season's Premiership goalies from the first source I found:

image.png.474ab4eebe88d08d4bee3d75e9558cb4.png 

This appears to confirm what the pundit was saying on the radio. It's also notable that Gordon and McGregor are just about the same level on the clean sheets front, and Celtic and Ranges were battling it out in the first half of the season; but Bain is miles ahead in percentage terms, and has been playing during the part of the season when Celtic pulled ahead.

I suspect you could find similar correlations between individual player' performances and their teams' successes; but the size of the difference here and the comparison with Gordon make me think that Bain's personal record may have made a big contribution to Celtic's title win. 

image.png

Edited by sugna
Extra image inserted

Bain has been a smashing keeper since he came in, hard pushed to think of one mistake he's made.  Gordon may just edge him in terms of reflex saves but Bain for me, has proved himself to be a superior all round keeper.   Bain's distribution of the ball appears to have settled our defence so I wouldn't say it's beyond reason to suggest Bain's form has played it's part in the whole team's form in the second half of the season. 

You've also seen Dundee crumble to absolute shit since he left. A top six finish and another decent placing with him in the team, and then since he left they've been relegation fodder - narrowly avoided it last year and then completely embarrassed this campaign.

I can't remember him making more than one decent save in any single match BUT he certainly hasn't dropped any clangers and I can't think of a goal for which I'd blame him.

Will be interesting to see if he remains as number one next season.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You've also seen Dundee crumble to absolute shit since he left. Two top six finishes with him in the team, and then since he left they've been relegation fodder - narrowly avoided it last year and then completely embarrassed this campaign.

Two? Did they really?

probably played just as well if not better when at Dundee...yet didn't get much credit from media.....goes to celtic where a traffic cone can keep a clean sheet most games and suddenly hes scotlands number 1 keeper....might just be a coincidence that he only now gets the credit he deserves

wee huffy rat b*****d though engineered a move from dens...because his mates got moves and he didn't.

In fairness, he was in the final year of his contract when he started the shite, not a lot the board could have done.
Made the c**t see it out or canned him into the reserves [emoji38]

Instead we got Jack fucking Hamilton.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

He's rarely put a foot wrong for us past few months.

Dundee fans are horrible bitter c***s and should f**k off to the championship forum now where they belong.

Thank you.

That Dundee fan at the midweek game back in November against Celtic at Dens Park who, while arguing with the police started punching himself in the face at the front of the Derry enclosure sums up the Dundee supporters on here, very angry and very strange.