St Mirren v Accies: Monday Night Madness

17 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Sad news that well known Accies fan,Derek Findlay has passed away after losing his fight with kidney cancer at the age of 45.

Derek went home and away with myself for 30+ years and leaves behind Ross,his son who still goes to games.Social Media is awash with tributes to Big Del who was there with myself and others all the way from The SPL to The Seaside Leagues and all the way back and he was one of those who fought hard to get us back to Hamilton after seven homeless years.

He used to post on here up until a few years ago and we are all devastated.

RIP Derek Findlay-a great Accie.

Sorry to hear about that mate, would be a nice touch if all the buddies joined in with the Accies tribute to your good mate. 

45 is no age at all. RIP. 

I love all my my fellow buddies fans but have never understood why so many look down on accies and livi supporters cause they don't have big supports I think these guys are the best supporters in scottish football
The size of support is irrelevant. Anyone who travels all over the country following any non old firm team are top notch in my book. These people invest their soul into the game

Tip Big Del. Condolences to all your friends and family. While not be one of our own, we are all still part of the football family. I'm sure all St.Mirren supporters will join in with any applause/silence to mark his memory

On 10/05/2019 at 10:34, Doakes said:

Tbh I respect the few Accies fans that actually follow their club, seem to have a small hardcore band of them home and away

Never understood why so few people in Hamilton follow them

That said, hoping our crowd can make the difference and give the team a boost - this one really could go either way!

Crowd win points, aye. 

Surely the answer to the question of how few people follow Hamilton is fairly simple (appreciate the ice is thin here for a Saints fan) in that it's not really a 'place' with an identity of it's own.  Like Paisley, which has a similarly tiny crowd considering the theoretical catchment area, it's really just a suburb of greater Glasgow. So the cheeks hoover up potential supporters, fueled by generational sectarianism and supported by segregated education. If you grow up in somewhere like Larkhall, there's more forced attachment to an OF group than anything 'local'.  That's not going to change, and the industrial jobs that gave places like Hamilton a bit of a sense of local identity before everyone travelled to the cities every day are gone for good. 

Perth has a different problem (although we also have the issue of the OF sucking in support), with a small and shrinking town, losing the small number of jobs that we we have, and a big but very spasely populated catchment. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Perth has a different problem (although we also have the issue of the OF sucking in support), with a small and shrinking town, losing the small number of jobs that we we have, and a big but very spasely populated catchment. 

Is Perth shrinking?

Theres over 3000 houses being built within 2 miles of McDiarmid. With hundreds also being built just up the bypass at Broxden.

I dont think you can blame our lack of support on a lack of people.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Perth shrinking?

Theres over 3000 houses being built within 2 miles of McDiarmid. With hundreds also being built just up the bypass at Broxden.

I dont think you can blame our lack of support on a lack of people.

I thought it was? From what I hear the Bertha Park houses are stuggling to sell, and we've just lost 400 jobs at the biggest employer in the area. 

Certainly other towns closer to the central belt, Dunfermline etc, are growing faster. Speaking to estate agents it's commuters to Edinburgh that are the incomers to the city, so not likely to grow up Saints fans?

I think it's partly a lack of people, but also as we're a 'Perthshire' team as well as the city and it's a pretty big area. Do we get regular support from Blarogowrie, Crieff, Pitlochry etc? 

Also it's a town with a big difference in wealth and the 'posh' public school types were down at the Inch yesterday at the beer and rugby festival, not at the football. The working class population that we have isn't big.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Apologies for hijacking the thread with Saints talk, that wasn't the intention. More that

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I thought it was? From what I hear the Bertha Park houses are stuggling to sell, and we've just lost 400 jobs at the biggest employer in the area. 

Certainly other towns closer to the central belt, Dunfermline etc, are growing faster. Speaking to estate agents it's commuters to Edinburgh that are the incomers to the city, so not likely to grow up Saints fans?

I think it's partly a lack of people, but also as we're a 'Perthshire' team as well as the city and it's a pretty big area. Do we get regular support from Blarogowrie, Crieff, Pitlochry etc? 

Also it's a town with a big difference in wealth and the 'posh' public school types were down at the Inch yesterday at the beer and rugby festival, not at the football. The working class population that we have isn't big.

Fair enough, had no idea how the house sales were going.

A literal must win game for us then.

Read a few people saying we are in good form. Are we? We have won 3 league games out of our 19 since Christmas. Those 3 wins came against 2 opponents; Dundee and Livi. That’s pretty brutal form by any reasonable measure.

Our only win in our last 5 came when Livi got their best player and captain sent off after 15 minutes, and even then we had to come from behind. Granted we have been drawing games recently instead of losing them, but a point is no use to us here.

Despite this hopeless form we actually have a better record against the other 10 teams in the league than Accies do. The reason we are staring down the playoff barrel is Hamilton have our number in the head to heads, and not just this season.

Since August 2014 we’ve played them 8 times. Won 1, drawn 1, lost 6.

Doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence. Of course it’s a funny old game and we may still win, but I think it’s fair to say we probably... won’t. However, if Accies could do us a favour and get their best player sent off after 15 minutes then I’d certainly fancy us.

No point in us even thinking about possible final day permutations until the final whistle blows.

I’ll go for another 1-1 and all aboard the playoff train to Inverness or Dundee on a Thursday night, I can’t wait.

I fully expect this to be the sort of game that MacPherson and Reid used to play out, and I'll regret going once the final whistle goes.

We've not shown an ability to take the game to opponents all season, and we're almost guaranteed to gift Accies some decent chances. I'd be delighted if we played some variation of 3-4-3 or 5-2-3, but we're almost guaranteed to play a cagey 5-3-2 with one 'striker' playing deep despite what is at stake.

Going into this game on decent form - one loss in 6 and that was with our reserve team against Celtic.  

This is a game we really need to be on the front foot from the start. Our recent performances have been slightly cagey for obvious reasons,  but with nothing less than 3 points required we really need to go for it. 

I fully expect this to be the sort of game that MacPherson and Reid used to play out, and I'll regret going once the final whistle goes.

I doubt it'll be as big a shitfest as that era. Rice only knows one way to set up and that's to attack. He'll be urging our players further up the park if we try and sit deep. Not sure if it'll work in our favour. Only time will tell I suppose.

This is my starting eleven for tonight, Hladky P McGinn, Muzek, Popescu, McKenzie, SMcGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Mullen, Jackson, McAlister.

Just go all out for the win and make the last game interesting.

Edited by glenburn bud

Just now, glenburn bud said:

This is my starting eleven for tonight, Hladky P McGinn, Muzek, Popescu, McKenzie, SMcGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Mullen, Jackson. 

One more surely.........:angel

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

This is my starting eleven for tonight, Hladky P McGinn, Muzek, Popescu, McKenzie, SMcGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Mullen, Jackson, McAlister.

Looks a decent team with plenty of attacking options.