Scottish Amateur Football League

SAFL 2019/20 - CENTENARY TROPHY DRAW

Section 1  Kings Park Rangers,Port Glas Ams, St.Joseph Section 2    Carlton YM, Cardross, Goldenhill ,Port Glas OBU

Section 3  Duncanrig FP, Easthall Star, Motherwell Th       Section 4    Busby, Glenburn, Glynhill, Inverclyde

Section 5  Barrhead Arky, FC Argyle, Parkhall                        Section 6     Hillington, Neilston, Rutherglen, St.Convals,

Section 7  Castlemilk, Claremont, Houston, Starthaven     Section 8     Campbeltown Pupils, Dunoon, Lochgilhead, Tarbert

1/4 FINALS                                                                                                                                                 SEMI FINALS

1.    Winner Section 1      -V-    Winner Section 5                                                                                  Winner Tie 1       -V-      Winner Tie 3

2.    Winner Section 2      -V-     Winner Section 6                                                                                  Winner Tie 2       -V-     Winner Tie 4

3.    Winner Section 3     -V-      Winner Section 7

4.    Winner Section 4     -V-      Winner Section 8

Ties to be listed from Saturday 10th August 2019

Edited by auld yin wae knowledge

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KM1991 said:

what's the point in calling this a 'draw' when it's virtually the same group every year... in fact, ours is definitely identical to the previous 2 (maybe 3) seasons. makes it so boring. 

KM1991 Not sure why I bother to reply to you post, however I will make it clear to others users your post is a totally false accusation …..it was a draw and NOT ONE SECTION is the same as last year, yes they may be one or two sections with two teams in the same section as last year but that can happen in a DRAW but none "Identical"

And Crazy Feet Alba Th have taken a year out.

8 hours ago, KM1991 said:

what's the point in calling this a 'draw' when it's virtually the same group every year... in fact, ours is definitely identical to the previous 2 (maybe 3) seasons. makes it so boring. 

The Argyll clubs haven't been in it for a few years.

Is the draw seeded?

Yes it was seeded,the Top 7 teams in the premier were placed in the first 7 sections in the order they finished last season

[ St joseph's finished top and were placed in section 1 and so on down the Division.]

and the argyle clubs were placed in Section 8 altogether the only part that was not a draw,

[ in the past it was felt they were to many games for the Argyll clubs to play and try and finish before the season ended, this season we are starting a week earlier and they are fewer teams in Premier 1 and Premier 2 ]

Yes it was seeded,the Top 7 teams in the premier were placed in the first 7 sections in the order they finished last season
[ St joseph's finished top and were placed in section 1 and so on down the Division.]
and the argyle clubs were placed in Section 8 altogether the only part that was not a draw,
[ in the past it was felt they were to many games for the Argyll clubs to play and try and finish before the season ended, this season we are starting a week earlier and they are fewer teams in Premier 1 and Premier 2 ]

Not sure I agree with seeding clubs, for me it takes away from what a cup is all about, where everyone is in the mix. Also think the Argyl Clubs in a Section differentiates them geographically and effectively ensures progression. If you join a league and enter a cup you should be treated no different from any other team imho.

13 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

KM1991 Not sure why I bother to reply to you post, however I will make it clear to others users your post is a totally false accusation …..it was a draw and NOT ONE SECTION is the same as last year, yes they may be one or two sections with two teams in the same section as last year but that can happen in a DRAW but none "Identical"

And Crazy Feet Alba Th have taken a year out.

I hope they make it back but it rarely happens. Good luck to them though!

4 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Sounds fair enough to me. Makes sense with their being less teams etc.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Heard Goldenhill are struggling at the moment? Any truth in that? Would effectively become a 1 team league if that was the case.

Castlemilk will surprise some people this year. Have been improving year on year, were very good last season and some of the comments from teams they've played preseason suggest they have continued to improve. Not saying they will win the league - but they might show up better than a lot of teams do coming up from a division below. 

2 minutes ago, Gunner said:

Castlemilk will surprise some people this year. Have been improving year on year, were very good last season and some of the comments from teams they've played preseason suggest they have continued to improve. Not saying they will win the league - but they might show up better than a lot of teams do coming up from a division below. 

I'd agree with this, if they keep and add to that group they have then they should do well. Young hungry side.

On a Separate note, and as someone who has a genuine fondness for the SAFL having played in it for a number of years it's sad to see how small it's become. Only 5 years ago it had over 50 clubs in it's set up (including a number of B teams). Even 3 years ago it still had over 40 teams. This season, it's starting with 29 teams. That's an incredible drop off and hopefully it slows now. To LOJ's predictions - tipping Strathaven Dynamo is a positive, a new team who i've reffed in a friendly and they are a decent outfit... hopefully a positive for the SAFL if they can bring in good teams. 

1 hour ago, Gunner said:

On a Separate note, and as someone who has a genuine fondness for the SAFL having played in it for a number of years it's sad to see how small it's become. Only 5 years ago it had over 50 clubs in it's set up (including a number of B teams). Even 3 years ago it still had over 40 teams. This season, it's starting with 29 teams. That's an incredible drop off and hopefully it slows now. To LOJ's predictions - tipping Strathaven Dynamo is a positive, a new team who i've reffed in a friendly and they are a decent outfit... hopefully a positive for the SAFL if they can bring in good teams. 

I've been involved for about 12 years now and it is definitely a lot smaller although I still love it, can easily lose an afternoon of work reminiscing about different seasons on the archive page!

Although the league has lost a lot of bigger named clubs last season was a positive in that not too many sides (if any) folded during the season. I'd rather have 29 teams starting and finishing than 40 starting and 8-10 teams folding early to mid season.  

My old man played in it back in the 80s/90s and there were about 11 divisions, reserve leagues etc.

http://www.safl.co.uk/index.php?id=archives

ETA - The archives let you scroll down for decades, the late 80s was some time to be alive, three reserve leagues!

Edited by List_of_Jericho

Gunner and LIJ yeah I sure remember the 11 divisions, as I spent every Saturday night doing the fixtures then every Sunday taken calls to give the fixtures out [ before the internet ] and I was a hackney owner/ driver in Glasgow at the time ……...cost me a fortune in wages lol....

Yes it is a worry what is happening to Scotland oldest League and most successful, [ west / Scottish winners ] we even had a meeting with The SAFA office bearers to put forward suggestions to prevent Leagues going under, which if our proposals were considered  would stop completely this annual movement of clubs, but after a 30 minute meeting we were later told that the executive committee had no reason to support the proposals which would only effect Saturday afternoon Leagues.

Edited by auld yin wae knowledge

14 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Gunner and LIJ yeah I sure remember the 11 divisions, as I spent every Saturday night doing the fixtures then every Sunday taken calls to give the fixtures out [ before the internet ] and I was a hackney owner/ driver in Glasgow at the time ……...cost me a fortune in wages lol....

Yes it is a worry what is happening to Scotland oldest League and most successful, [ west / Scottish winners ] we even had a meeting with The SAFA office bearers to put forward suggestions to prevent Leagues going under, which if our proposals were considered  would stop completely this annual movement of clubs, but after a 30 minute meeting we were later told that the executive committee had no reason to support the proposals which would only effect Saturday afternoon Leagues.

You'll remember Lochside AFC? Played by the shore at Furnace near Inveraray.

8 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

You'll remember Lochside AFC? Played by the shore at Furnace near Inveraray.

Sure do never played on it, but did watch a few games their was one of the best surroundings for an amateur park in The SAFL [ cant say much good about the changing facilities  right enough lol ]