• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

5 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Although I can see the point that is being made, cup games are one offs and I've never been a fan of using them to try and guage footballing merit. 

Kelty have done well after a shaky start. All I'm trying to say (maybe not very well tbf) is that there is a difference in standard over a league season. There is a breakaway few from the LL that would struggle against the top eosfl sides but this would be less than many believe. Out of the teams in the eosfl (current) there are a gew who would sustain the levels required to maintain LL status, others would struggle. 

All that being said, I do hope that teams can go and sustain LL levels, as that will eventually open up more promotion spots. 

I'm not just basing my opinion on these results, there's Scottish Cup results between those who were Junior and the LL, and from watching a reasonable number of LL matches. Right now, I'd give Whitehill Welfare a 50-50 chance of dropping straight through, based on what I saw of them against Dalbeattie Star down in Dumfriesshire. They could improve their squad of course. Equally, I'd be very surprised in Bonnyrigg don't finish in the top 5.

Of course cup matches are generally different, but I don't think many of those EoS clubs regarded themselves as the underdog in many of those matches. It's not like they were looking for a giant-killing or had more motivation than their LL opponent.

Anybody for putting the LL, EoS Premier and WRSJFA Superleague into three conferences and see what happens? :whistle

3 hours ago, Marten said:

It turned out that the cup results were mainly caused by 2nd tier sides not being used to the completely different style of play in the 3rd tier. I'm not saying that will be the case now, but over a whole season things can be so much different than over cup games, even if the cup games seem to show a consistent pattern.

This happened within the EoS conferences, too. The EoS clubs struggled badly against the ex-Juniors at first, but gradually found their feet. I saw Leith being naive and getting run around by Oakley at the start of the season, but by the end Leith had finished above them. 

There's also EoS Qualifying Cup games where Oakley beat VoL, EK lost to Jeanfield, Gala lost to Tranent, Gretna lost to Broxburn, and CSS lost to Jeanfield.

All I was suggesting is that having coached in the LL for two years I feel that some people may be being a tad quick to assume their club would place highly. For certain clubs this would be the case, but for others, the difference in standard will be too great. 

It is too difficult to include anything other than a league campaign to compare standards between levels or leagues. 

All of this of course is based solely on what I witnessed weekly when coaching in the LL and the difference in game management, tactics and general approach I saw. When your pool of player came from league 1, league 2, other LL clubs and the exit trials. 

Will be interesting to see how other top end eosfl teams fare in the coming seasons once promoted to the LL though. 

35 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

All I was suggesting is that having coached in the LL for two years I feel that some people may be being a tad quick to assume their club would place highly. For certain clubs this would be the case, but for others, the difference in standard will be too great. 

After East Stirling pumped us 5-1, I'm not making that mistake...