Montrose v Queens / Queens v Montrose

Think AJ may have rested Stirling Maguire & Dobbie last night gambling on players who hadn't played on Sat rather than fatigue key players that we will need on Sat. Hopefully Montrose tire, and looks like there goalscorer Campbell will be out injured. Massive effort from all needed but its still a very much winnable tie. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think AJ may have rested Stirling Maguire & Dobbie last night gambling on players who hadn't played on Sat rather than fatigue key players that we will need on Sat. Hopefully Montrose tire, and looks like there goalscorer Campbell will be out injured. Massive effort from all needed but its still a very much winnable tie. 

Nice idea. Not sure it's true though. Johnston well knows how shite we are defensively so if he felt Maguire was his best CH he would have played him last night IMHO.

I thought Campbell just had cramp when he came off.  He put in a great shift and totally dominated Fordyce and Brownlie. 

Edit to add I thought Montrose looked fitter than us at the end last night. Their ball retention was good late on something tiring teams generally struggle with. Petrie used his subs well to freshen things up. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

51 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'd start Dobbie and Murray up top on Saturday. Murray has been man of the match off the bench in each of the last 2 games, he deserves the start.

Mehmet

Mercer Doyle Maguire Marshall

Stirling Wilson Jacobs Todd

Dobbie Murray

For all his many faults Dykes remains crucial to getting the best out of Dobbie. I`d still start him in all honesty.

I'd be tempted to start Murray wide right and Stirling on the left. Todd looks like he's carrying a knock. 

Johnston well knows how shite we are defensively... 

I noticed in his interview he commented on our first goal that we "conceded from a cross again". Not sure if he just made a mistake and was thinking about our second goal or if he has perhaps been watching us for a wee while. Or he may well just know how shite we are at crosses because it's constantly being spoken about.

I can't recall Naysmith ever highlighting this problem head on, normally "soft goals" was what he said. If Johnston knows it's a problem area then hopefully he can work on it straight away in pre-season. I'm not sure we can be any worse.

For all his many faults Dykes remains crucial to getting the best out of Dobbie. I`d still start him in all honesty.
I'd be tempted to start Murray wide right and Stirling on the left. Todd looks like he's carrying a knock. 

Murray isn’t great on the wing. Centrally, he’s thrived for the 20s/reserves and played better in the first team.

I’d go with Murray and Dobbie up front, but can see why people still call for Dykes. If we can get a win and take it to extra-time, he’ll be an absolute handful for the tired Montrose defence if he comes off the bench

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I noticed in his interview he commented on our first goal that we "conceded from a cross again". Not sure if he just made a mistake and was thinking about our second goal or if he has perhaps been watching us for a wee while. Or he may well just know how shite we are at crosses because it's constantly being spoken about.

I can't recall Naysmith ever highlighting this problem head on, normally "soft goals" was what he said. If Johnston knows it's a problem area then hopefully he can work on it straight away in pre-season. I'm not sure we can be any worse.

Yes we have (at least) a triad of issues in terms of the cross ball.

We don't stop crosses coming in.

We don't defend them well/at all when they do come in.

We have goalkeepers who can't/won't come for crosses.

A couple of Montrose fans near me were having palpitations when their keeper came for some cross balls last night.  He came positively though and made sure he got something on the cross. The notion that Martin is the best keeper we can afford in terms of resource put forward by some is frankly laughable.

17 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Murray isn’t great on the wing. Centrally, he’s thrived for the 20s/reserves and played better in the first team.

I’d go with Murray and Dobbie up front, but can see why people still call for Dykes. If we can get a win and take it to extra-time, he’ll be an absolute handful for the tired Montrose defence if he comes off the bench

Fair enough. Murray did well last night.  I think he will start as AJ remarked that he made a big difference when he did come on. That said I expect Dykes to start too.

Really enjoyed that - most have summed it up well, but well played Montrose.

QoS were much better in the early stages of the match - but Petrie has acknowledged that and made an early shape change. after that the game wavered between fairly even and Montrose being on top.

I recall the play-off with Peterhead a couple of seasons back when Montrose produced an encouraging performance, albeit with a lesser side than they have now.  Rory McAllister made the difference in the second leg, and the fear is obviously that Dobbie still emerges to do so here.

Would rate it as 55/45 that QoS will go through - but I expected to come out of there last night with it being a lot more clearcut than that.   Mon the Mo....

Fair enough. Murray did well last night.  I think he will start as AJ remarked that he made a huge difference when he did come on. 
Have to echo this. When Murray was in the 20's I got to a few games and he was comfortably the best player on show and he was played centrally. When he's out wide for us he doesn't look that good and I think it's down to him not knowing the role. I don't think it's a coincidence he has looked far sharper when he's been played off the striker. I hope he continues to do well in there and takes his shot. As DD has said, I did pick up on that comment by AJ and it felt like more than just a wee compliment. I expect Murray will be in his plans.

My thoughts after the game last night was that Dobbie might well not start on Saturday but would hopefully be fit enough to feature. On reflection the difficulty with that is  when do you bring him on given the game might go to 120 minutes. If he's fit he should start. I still feel we'll want Dykes as his partner but accept that Murray made a good case to start after his efforts when he came on last night. If Dobbie does start I expect AJ will look to come up with a formation to include Dykes and Murray too. If Dobbie is on bench then Dykes and Murray up front.

Those intro graphics are a combination of very smart but also quite cheesy. I thought I was about to start watching an NFL game for a moment.

Good highlights.

Montrose looked much better in possession than we did.

Dykes is unlucky with the one that hit the post and while his other chance isn't the sitter I thought at the time he needs to score that.

Defensively we are an absolute gang.  The mere sight of Alan "finger" Martin makes me angry :lol:

Why is Nicky Low not playing?  Is he injured or just shite?
Played against Thistle and was hooked at HT. Nowhere near match fit.

Murray's goal was a topper. I'm actually glad Aird hasn't played as much because 5 of his 6 crosses were excellent there and not once did we look like attacking them. Oh to have someone not afraid to attack the ball. We never looked like cutting Montrose open there but I can't see Montrose looked spectacular either. They took advantage of our inability to defend crosses.

Apols for few or even no comments from Mo fans on here but we're still just getting used to looking on the L1 messageboard! Just had a wee look in at the Championship board and found this thread.

Anyway, my take on the game last night was that it was a game of very different styles or tactics at least. First half Queens passed us off the pitch but with no serious end product. The Mo played to their strengths which if they were not obvious then I'm not going to tell you. First half though you could tell who were the Championship side. Second half though it was different as the Mo realised they were in with a shout and gave Queens more to think about. At 1-1 it could have gone either way for a minute at least but when the Mo scored again after that minute Queens wobbled and at the end I think were relieved to go home with a single goal deficit. All to play for in the second leg and provided the Mo don't give Queens too much respect and have a right good go this tie is still very much in the balance. I certainly think Mo are capable of scoring at Palmerston and if they do then Queens have to score three to win barring penalties.

Should be a decent away following with several buses going down plus a few cars - and me. Whoever wins through I think will find it hard against Forfar or Raith because both are decent sides and both have good strikers. BUT, the Mo have beaten both once this season so there are possibilities but over two legs it's a big ask.