• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
die hard doonhamer

Montrose v Queens / Queens v Montrose

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think Dykes is massively under appreciated in what he does for Dobbie and I dont think he will be easily replaced at all to be honest.

This.

It's clear that Dobbie understands his value. He can be frustrating player for us but he is a crucial part of the team IMHO. 

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think Dykes is massively under appreciated in what he does for Dobbie and I dont think he will be easily replaced at all to be honest.

Dobbie aside of course I think Dykes had a fantastic game. If he's getting on a bit and looking for another club at any time soon I'd have him in our squad at Links Park.

Anyway respect to Queens for turning it around. Good passing team in the first leg but without a clinical touch BUT Dobbie provided that touch yesterday, aided I have to say by a more than the usual number of defensive errors by the Mo. Better team won on the day. Good club Queens, good fans and a decent place to go to.

Hope you stay up but a poster above reckoned you would easily do Raith - don't go believing that, they are a decent side and if Queens are complacent they might get done. I reckon with AJ in charge though they might just now do it.

20 hours ago, Sankasouthy said:

AJ clearly likes to attack, which is what the supporters want to see. Hopefully this will bring the crowds back. I liked GN but he tended to worry more about the opposition instead of getting the team to play more on the front foot and take the game to the opposition. ( how many times has that been said on P n B this season )

The biggest thing that stuck out for me today was that Dobbs wasn’t left up front on his own today and had options left and right with Murray and Dykes.

I’m certainly a lot more confident that we can take Raith Rovers over the 2 legs and remain in the Championship for next season.

Yes, that was refreshing. I had been thinking about AJ’s first game in charge v Ross Co at the end of the awful relegation season when, with the same players, he binned the dire negative stuff and set the team up to attack. A breath of fresh air.

I liked GN too but last season it amazed me to see Dobbie in the role of a lone striker, sometimes even at Palmerston. Our home record was one of the poorest in the league. This season saw an improvement in that until the new year but after that it looked like we went backwards tactically. Playing Dykes out wide seemed to mean that he and Dobbie didn’t always link up as well as they needed to.

Raith will be tough but at least there’s a bit more drive and confidence about the team.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Sorry, I should have clarified that my post was in no way aimed at any Queens fans on here. From my recollection it was Caley, Falkirk and Morton fans.

Maybe best then not to start the post in question with: "I would just like to temper the enthusiasm of Queens supporters here. You..."

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Maybe best then not to start the post in question with: "I would just like to temper the enthusiasm of Queens supporters here. You..."

I will try to phrase my points more accurately in future. 

As I said in a previous post if Queens couldn't beat Montrose over 2 legs they didn't deserve to be anywhere near the Championship.The Angus club are workmanlike but to be honest not a lot between them in 4th in League 1 than Stranraer in 8th,in fact if Easy Fife hadn't imploded,it would have been them in the play offs,if I had been a betting man I would have lumped on Queens on Saturday.The final should be won by Queens as well,Nisbet is a danger but can honestly see Queens winning both legs.My own team beat Raith up at Starks only last month,plus they are not very good away from home,looks like Queens will escape this time.

Well done QoS.

Despite the great night at Links Park on Tuesday, there was always the fear this would happen.  I was at Cove and occasionally clicking LiveScore with horror - and am glad that games that are 5-0 or similar at HT often end up that way (unless Mark McGhee is the manager of the losing side).

Playing in the second tier likely was absolutely nowhere on even the most optimistic Montrose masterplan, so take the positives of getting 4th and move on to hopefully similar next season - but as stated, there' so little between so many sides in that division (except with perhaps Falkirk and either Raith/QoS being clear front runners), that avoiding relegation will still be the first aim.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Are there no highlights for this? Extremely tinpot. It's a playoff semi final for christ sake.

If there are highlights,  and I'm sure there will be,  it usually takes a day or two before they are available as MOTD Wannabe,  has to fit it in around his proper job. 

There were two teams on the pitch but the result was never in doubt. Montrose were there simply just to make up the numbers, like a tinpot seaside version of Alloa. The ‘Angus Azzurri’ were well and truly Dobbie’d. Better luck next time Montrose, in your bid to escape perennial irrelevance.
Wow, trying to lord it up over Montrose. Big man found.

Excellent highlights again :) 

Pretty clear Campbell should have gone for that elbow, but more importantly how good were all 3 of Dobbies goals? 

Excellent highlights again  

Pretty clear Campbell should have gone for that elbow, but more importantly how good were all 3 of Dobbies goals? 

Doyle’s wasn’t bad either

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Excellent highlights again :) 

Cracking finish for Mikey Doyle's goal too after the pinball around the box.  The defending at the 2nd goal is awful.

Campbell very lucky to stay on the pitch.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Doyle’s wasn’t bad either
Cracking finish for Mikey Doyle's goal too after the pinball around the box.  The defending at the 2nd goal is awful.
Campbell very lucky to stay on the pitch.
Indeed. Got too caught up watching Dobbies goals. I didn't realise at the time that Doyle took the shot on the volley. Great finish, as you say

Very pleasing that not only did we score from the resulting freekick of his thuggery, but that Doyle then also gets himself on the scoresheet with a peach of a volley.  GIRFUY.

Dobbie's goals are just ridiculously good, but also the sort we have become so used to him scoring.  I'm not sure how I'm going to cope when the day comes that I will never see him doing it again.

Dykes also with a pretty typical opportunistic finish where he's gone with instinct rather than having to think too much about it.  He's a strange player in that sense.  I'd fancy him to score a one touch lob from a tight angle on far more occasions than a one-on-one in the centre of the goals.

42 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Pretty clear Campbell should have gone for that elbow,

Said at the time it was as blatant a deliberate elbow as you'll ever see. Irnoic really as it was Brownlie who had him in his pocket all game yet Doyle he picked on when he escaped that once. He should have been straight off the pitch. As cammy says though, direct justice in the goal coming from the resulting free kick.

I think Dykes' goal is very good. He actually gets out muscled by the defender and starts the move further away from the ball than his man. Fortunately he kept going and when the defender paused it was a perfect lob. 

From our point of view, shambolic defending at all 5 goals with Dillon in frame for every one of them.