Montrose v Queens / Queens v Montrose

This is it then.

We've been haunted by the danger of relegation for a couple of months now, but it didn't seem absolutely real (to me at least) until the last few weeks.  

All those pitiful defeats didn't spell relegation by themselves, but today, even a draw would mean just that.

Can we deliver when staring down the barrel like this?  I have my doubts, but let's see.

What I saw in the first game was a very committed, and frequently quite dirty, Montrose team who are very much up for this game. They get in your face when you have possession and they use the ball well when they win it back. They have 2 very strong central defenders who don't mess about and an older guy up front who battles hard and holds the ball up well for them.  Queens almost looked a bit intimidated by them at times.

We probably have the better players, but we need to match them physically and be as committed to earn the right to play. With the current squad it will be a tough task for AJ to pick the right 11 players who are up for the fight but, with a bit of inspiration from Dobbie we can win it. 

Hoping for a strong ref to clamp down early if Montrose are overly physical.

1 minute ago, sidofthesouth said:

What I saw in the first game was a very committed, and frequently quite dirty, Montrose team who are very much up for this game. They get in your face when you have possession and they use the ball well when they win it back. They have 2 very strong central defenders who don't mess about and an older guy up front who battles hard and holds the ball up well for them.  Queens almost looked a bit intimidated by them at times.

We probably have the better players, but we need to match them physically and be as committed to earn the right to play. With the current squad it will be a tough task for AJ to pick the right 11 players who are up for the fight but, with a bit of inspiration from Dobbie we can win it. 

Hoping for a strong ref to clamp down early if Montrose are overly physical.

Obviously I wasn't there on Tuesday, but I don't think it's fair to call Montrose dirty. I called them the 'Angus Azzuri' earlier in the season because they know how to kill a break with a tactical foul, but I haven't thought that they were dirty or overly physical at any point during the five games we've played them. 

When they get the ball down and play it then they're probably the best footballing side we've played. It's just unfortunate from their point of view that they really lack a quality forward. 

11 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Obviously I wasn't there on Tuesday, but I don't think it's fair to call Montrose dirty. I called them the 'Angus Azzuri' earlier in the season because they know how to kill a break with a tactical foul, but I haven't thought that they were dirty or overly physical at any point during the five games we've played them. 

When they get the ball down and play it then they're probably the best footballing side we've played. It's just unfortunate from their point of view that they really lack a quality forward. 

Yes, they did a few tactical fouls to stop us breaking - cynical, but obviously well drilled by their manager in that side of the game. They also love a tackle.

Just hope our lot stand up to it a bit better today than they did in the first game

19 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I would agree with that, if Montrose had a Bobby Linn/Baird/Nisbet type up front League 1 might have been very interesting at the top end.

6 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Fully expecting under 1,000 at the game today, probably around 750.  The players have only themselves to blame.

Won’t be much of a protest at the game if we don’t win then. Suppose the protest is the low crowds.

34 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I would agree with that, if Montrose had a Bobby Linn/Baird/Nisbet type up front League 1 might have been very interesting at the top end.

Did I notice Russell McLean coming on as a sub for Montrose on Tues if he has recovered from injury could give the Mo something different

Good luck to  Montrose this afternoon, hope they can see the job out and reach the playoff final.  

To get within 2 games of the Championship this season would be an incredible turn around of fortunes for Montrose given they came dangerously close to being relegated to the Highland League a few years ago.