Montrose v Queens / Queens v Montrose

Connor Murray in 45 minutes looks like the only person that had any sort of ability going forward in that team.

Johnston went with as close to the players that he knew about as he could.  Which I suppose he doesn’t have much of anything else to go on. Though that doesn’t justify keeping Aird on for the full match. I appreciate that he’s got his work cut out aiming a cross at the Ironing board up front but he does nothing, doesn’t commit players, doesn’t track back and is probably the last player I’d want out there. 

Subbing Mercer I thought was actually harsh as he wasn’t particularly bad out there, compared to the other jabronis. Jacobs is a player that will always avoid a lot of criticism, because he tackles a lot but he just can’t pass a ball and looked so slow. Doyle is a player I like and feel tries his best but he isn’t a centre mid and it showed, I’d have just stuck him out wide instead of staunch Ryan Conroy. Wilson was also dreadful, you need him to commit people and be unpredictable in a positive way.

Dykes is someone I just can’t be fucked with really. I defended him time and again but he  and Todd have checked out mentally.  The decision to bring him back rather than move on has looked ill advised.

I genuinely can’t wait to see the back on a lot of these gormless sand dancers and underachievers. 

28 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Hi Gary hiya pal.

You are correct though 

It was definitely a Naysmith team selection.

Maybe it was a parting gift choosing tonight's squad?

2 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Connor Murray in 45 minutes looks like the only person that had any sort of ability going forward in that team.

Johnston went with as close to the players that he knew about as he could.  Which I suppose he doesn’t have much of anything else to go on. Though that doesn’t justify keeping Aird on for the full match. I appreciate that he’s got his work cut out aiming a cross at the Ironing board up front but he does nothing, doesn’t commit players, doesn’t track back and is probably the last player I’d want out there. 

Subbing Mercer I thought was actually harsh as he wasn’t particularly bad out there, compared to the other jabronis. Jacobs is a player that will always avoid a lot of criticism, because he tackles a lot but he just can’t pass a ball and looked so slow. Doyle is a player I like and feel tries his best but he isn’t a centre mid and it showed, I’d have just stuck him out wide instead of staunch Ryan Conroy. Wilson was also dreadful, you need him to commit people and be unpredictable in a positive way.

Dykes is someone I just can’t be fucked with really. I defended him time and again but he  and Todd have checked out mentally.  The decision to bring him back rather than move on has looked ill advised.

I genuinely can’t wait to see the back on a lot of these gormless sand dancers and underachievers. 

Doyle was just as bad at RB in all honesty. Endlessly out of position and gave away some really stupid fouls. I like him but he was awful tonight. He of course wasn't alone in that.  It's difficult to know where to start with our centre halfs though. Deary me :(

7 hours ago, weeredbook said:

Been reading it .Holy f**k its hilarious .

You’ll be referring to yet another social media slagging match between JT & his ex ? How embarrassing was that ? I’ve zero time for her and the big man doesn’t fool me either.  Pathetic stuff , leave us and the club alone. 

By sounds of it the only consolation is firstly we have Saturday to rectify a terrible situation and secondly we only have Dobbie signed up and start from scratch next season. 

Edited by Dobbie11

2 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

You’ll be referring to yet another social media slagging match between JT & his ex ? How embarrassing was that ? I’ve zero time for her and the big man doesn’t fool me either.  Pathetic stuff , leave us and the club alone. 

Old Fishwives Gossip Thread for this pish.  Bad enough reading about our shite football without having to endure what should be kept as the private lives of this dysfunctional pair. 

12 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Team for Sat -

Martin or Mehmet

Mercer Doyle Maguire Marshall

Stirling Wilson Jacobs Todd 

DOBBIE Dykes 

Subs Murray Aird Brownlie Fordyce Low

Michael Doyle will play but he needs binned/rested til our fate is confirmed. It was hard to stand out at as much worse than the others last night but he, Aird, Todd and Dykes managed to quite easily. Four absolute passengers last night, if Aird plays Saturday just stick us down. 

It was a tremendous performance by Montrose last night. They did ride their luck a couple of times, but some of the football they played was excellent. I loved the way that they dominated the last 10 minutes and really deserved a third goal, and the fact that they didn’t may prove to be crucial. The Montrose players fitness in the last quarter of the game surprised me, as it should have been Queens  finishing the stronger. One player that impresses me every time I watch Montrose is Andrew Steeves. He may have been slightly at fault for Queens goal, I’m not sure, but he’s great down Montrose’s left and rarely gives the ball away. Graham Webster had an excellent match as well and a couple of great runs near the end of the match. One thing puzzled me with Queens. Why have Dobbie on the bench when Johnston obviously had no intention of ever putting him on the pitch.

It was a tremendous performance by Montrose last night. They did ride their luck a couple of times, but some of the football they played was excellent. I loved the way that they dominated the last 10 minutes and really deserved a third goal, and the fact that they didn’t may prove to be crucial. The Montrose players fitness in the last quarter of the game surprised me, as it should have been Queens  finishing the stronger. One player that impresses me every time I watch Montrose is Andrew Steeves. He may have been slightly at fault for Queens goal, I’m not sure, but he’s great down Montrose’s left and rarely gives the ball away. Graham Webster had an excellent match as well and a couple of great runs near the end of the match. One thing puzzled me with Queens. Why have Dobbie on the bench when Johnston obviously had no intention of ever putting him on the pitch.
On the last point. As I said last night, my theory (hope!) is that Dobbie was a last resort. At 2-1 we're very much still in the tie but had we been 3-1 down I wonder if AJ would have put Dobbie on to try and salvage a goal. At 1 goal behind I don't think he needed to be risked and 3 more days rest might be enough.

On the last point. As I said last night, my theory (hope!) is that Dobbie was a last resort. At 2-1 we're very much still in the tie but had we been 3-1 down I wonder if AJ would have put Dobbie on to try and salvage a goal. At 1 goal behind I don't think he needed to be risked and 3 more days rest might be enough.

Yep agree with that. Dobbie didn’t need to be risked at 2-1 when the tie has another 90 or possibly 120 minutes to go on Saturday. The same rationale mind you makes it ludicrous that bad as we had been we completely lost any shape at the end and should have been 3-1 down. We still have the chance to turn this round so thankful for small mercies.

Poor performance but I back us to win at home, which at worst would result in ET. If it goes to penalties, we have Martin in goals so as long as Montrose put their efforts on target, they’ll go through,

I’d go with;

Deniz
Doyle Brownlie Maguire
Mercer Jacobs Wilson Marshall
Stirling
Dobbie Murray

We need goals, Dykes doesn’t bring them. Todd has been woeful lately and Aird constantly gave the ball away last night. Brownlie is ok in a back 3, need his height

Team for Sat -
Martin or Mehmet
Mercer Doyle Maguire Marshall
Stirling Wilson Jacobs Todd 
DOBBIE Dykes 
Subs Murray Aird Brownlie Fordyce Low

I would definitely have found places for McGuire and Stirling last night but I am getting to the stage with this gutless squad that I am not sure that any permutation will get the job done.

I would definitely have found places for McGuire and Stirling last night but I am getting to the stage with this gutless squad that I am not sure that any permutation will get the job done.

Yep. We looked to start 442 with Wilson wide right last night . Had a spell at 433 late in the first half with Aird Dykes and Todd as the front 3 then went back to 442 at the start of 2nd half with Wilson and Jacobs central with Aird and Todd wide and Dykes and Murray up front. In all honesty we didn’t look a threat at really any stage. As you suggest that isn’t about formation but about a group of players who have developed the knack of getting a poor result in almost any setting.