gogsy

Berwick Rangers 2019/20 thread

13 hours ago, Jason King said:

Ducket Lodger really comes across as someone with no idea of how football clubs are actually run.

Your wrong Jason, unknown to many, I am a previous board member at BRFC and my family holds significant worthless shares, I know how much investment is required, what the overheads are and what the likelihood of success will be, when the current directors fail to put money in,  begging a few quid here and there, will not cut it.

The club has suffered from a lack of investment over recent years and although the current incumbents may have ideas to take the club forwards, none of them appear to want to put their own money in, it is therefore questionable as to why are they in office!

What income is to be generated from the SC and the ST ?

2 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Jordan Orru leaves for Musselburgh

My flabber never has been so gasted.

Mixed feelings about Orru. Plenty of energy and effort, and OK pushing forward, but as bad as the rest when it came to defending. 

He was probably one of the best 5 players at the club last year. Which says more about the rest of them than it does about him. 

Craig Stevenson... did he not sign for Berwick a number of years ago then left again within weeks?

Btw, in context of bombing out of SPFL2 it's interesting the players leaving are all joining tier 6/worse.

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Craig Stevenson... did he not sign for Berwick a number of years ago then left again within weeks?

Btw, in context of bombing out of SPFL2 it's interesting the players leaving are all joining tier 6/worse.

Aye but there probably still getting much the same wage wise as they would have had at Berwick without the hassle of having to travel down there and instead can playing on their own  door step. The lure of SPDL football would have been  a factor in signing for Berwick now that's gone its not so an attractive option.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yes I’m sure Ian little was manager at the time also, could be wrong though

Well, this Berwick Rangers thread isn’t quite as depressing as the 18/19 season edition… Yet. This is my first post on here. I popped in entirely because a trip to Berwick was close to being the best day out in the SPFL. I always enjoyed trips to Berwick. I’ve a BRFC mug in my kitchen and another at work.

Very sad to see the club go down. Sad to see the predictable posts from angry fans on the 18/19 thread.

There are similar posts on the forums of Dundee and Falkirk, following relegation to a level their fans consider to be beneath them. Raith's forum was in identical mood, after their failure to escape a league that looked a "gimme" for a full-time club last season. They’ve chilled-out a mite since.  Q.o.S. have survived, but the natives with pitchforks and blazing torches are still all for marching on the castle, due to directors failing to “invest” and showing a lack of “ambition.” I'm sure the English clubs who fell below their place in the traditional order last month - Ipswich, Plymouth, Bradford, Notts. County and the like - will have "Sack the Board" threads on their forums.

Nobody should need to have sat on a board to understand that running a football club at SPFL level, or at the top of the Junior game these days, primarily involves trawling for sponsors and – more significantly – trying to rope-in warped or sad barstewards who are laughably termed "investors."

These “investors” will pour money into an "ambitious" club.

The money will almost inevitably be poured straight into the pockets of "blow-in" mercenaries, who've failed to make it as players at top level, but who will be paid £250 or £300 for two nights training and playing a game on Saturday.

Few of these players will have any connection with the town in which they're being paid to perform. Almost none of them will have come through the age group teams in the club's youth set-up. The vast majority won’t even buy a steak bake and a yum-yum in the high street Gregg’s, never mind make any more meaningful contribution to the local economy and community.

They will never step foot in the town again, once their agent has got them £350 for playing elsewhere.

To quote a junkie Spoonburner, “It’s a scheidt state of affairs” – and all the “community” patter, spin and flannel in the world won’t make any difference.

With the major clubs hoovering up all the age group talent, there’s scarcely any point in the likes of Berwick running age group teams. If the under-10s manager at a bigger club fancies your 9-year-old left winger, a word in a parent’s ear is usually enough to have the lad signed up – possibly to a contract that won’t allow him to play for anyone else and will probably lead to his enthusiasm for football diminishing fairly quickly.

The best young local players will long ago have been reeled-in by the factory trawler system of the larger clubs. 99% of those kids will be spat out before signing a full-time professional contract. They’ll still likely be well ahead of lads that stayed in local youth systems. So they’ll re-emerge at League Two, Junior or “ambitious” Lowland League or Highland League clubs, inevitably being preferred by managers to possible late developers coming through locally. The gulf local players need to bridge to reach the standard of the rejects is vast.    

Apart from the players who are reportedly picking-up £400+ per week, who is gaining from the “ambition” shown by Cove Rangers? They’re reportedly in for Fraser Fyvie. He’s an Aberdeen lad and maybe he’s an education or career avenue he can concentrate on while playing part-time, but the man’s 26, won the Scottish Cup three years back and has been at a club that missed promotion to the Premiership on penalty kicks.

As for Kelty Hearts, I concede I’ve only even passed through Kelty once and that was a long while back, in the desperate days of Maggie’s Millions. The place made some of the desolate and semi-derelict Ayrshire mining villages look like Monte Carlo. It’s a suburb of Cowdenbeath, for Pete’s sake! How and why should anyone with any connection to Kelty be donating £3,000+ per week to players who wouldn’t have been able to locate the kip without a SatNav when the club first phoned them?              

What I can never get my head around is why these “investors” throw money at semi-pro football clubs.

The money they put into clubs is not an investment. “Investors” are very unlikely to see a return on their cash. It’s a gratuity. A donation. The only way they’ll see a return on it is if they acquire and then sell the leasehold or freehold of a stadium in a town centre. Short-term, they might get lucky with cup trips to Ibrox or Darkheid, but there’s no way these days that a player coming through at part-time clubs will be sold for a fee that covers the payroll for more than a couple of months.  

If the “investors” wanted to do something to genuinely help the community, putting money into a youth facility or training project would be the way to go. If the “investor” insists on backing a sports club, why not finance a boxing club or bankroll the local rugby team? Local lads will be the beneficiaries in either of those cases.

Yes, there are youth set-ups at part-time clubs, but these normally operate in impoverished circumstances, with laughably inadequate facilities and with underqualified volunteers as coaches… while the blow-ins in the first team trouser their £250 per week. As I’ve said, few youngsters in those set-ups have a prayer of progressing even as far as a League Two 1st XI. It’s hard to escape the cynical view that youth set-ups, together with women’s teams, walking football for veterans, disabled sections, gay sections, dwarf sections, hijab sections, etc. exist solely to attract support from gullible local authorities.

In most countries, clubs at this level, pulling 300 punters though the gates, pay players expenses only. Because of that, they receive backing from the local authority, field local players and are integrated into the community at first team level. The club will play in a council-owned stadium (Yes, it will likely have a running track) and its youth coaches will be trained in schemes financed by regional branches of the national FA, in conjunction with local authorities. They won’t have to pay for their badges or for background checks. First team players will coach at schools.

There are two ways UK football can move towards this model.

Method one would be for the German system to be implemented, where 50% +1 of a club’s shares must be held by fans.

Method two would be for clubs to be required to submit income streams, contracts and budget projections to a licensing body, on an annual basis, before they were granted a licence to play at any given level. Only legitimate income streams – gate receipts, matchday takings, club/bar revenue, prizemoney, transfer fees, advertising & sponsorship from businesses not directly connected to club directors - would be recognised. If a club can’t raise sufficient revenue, then it doesn’t get a licence and has to drop down a level or two.

If that meant Berwick Rangers FC had to compete in a league where it played clubs no further afield than Alnwick and Dunbar, while Kelty played in a league restricted to clubs in Fife, so be it. The current system makes no sense from anyone’s viewpoint – except that of the failed, fourth-rate players who are getting £250 per week.

While we’re about it, professional clubs should be banned from having youth teams at any age group level below U-17s. Kids currently in the factory trawler youth systems of professional clubs should be removed - along with their qualified youth coaches - and transferred to genuine youth clubs, which would be financed by local FAs, through a levy on the TV income generated by the major leagues.

It won’t happen.

Too many vested interests. Too many snouts in troughs. Too many football fans with an outrageous sense of entitlement that makes them believe someone else should finance their hobby... In a country with a housing crisis, a crumbling health service and food banks.             

As for the lack of signings at Shielfield?

Let’s take an experienced part-time player of title contender or promotion contender calibre at a given level. He was out of contract last month. It’s extremely unlikely he’ll have had a contract that pays him over summer. Let’s say he’s a £250 per week player at League Two or top Junior level… Not that Berwick paid anyone £250 last term or will be paying anyone £250 next term, but just as a general example.

If he has a soft spot for a club, he might sign early in the summer. If he’s fairly local and likes the convenience of not having to travel far, he might sign early in the summer. If he knows a club manager or has mates at a club, he might sign early in the summer. The only other situation in which he’ll sign early in the close season is if he’s offered £300 or £350 per week by an “ambitious” club.

Such “ambitious” clubs are out there. Maybe their first choice targets haven’t been landed in May. So maybe they’ll call the £250pw player with an over-the-odds offer any day now. The £250pw per week player is currently in Ayia Napa or Magaluf. His phone’s switched on. He can afford to wait. Even if he waits three more weeks and runs out as “A. Trialist” in a few pre-season games, there’s a 90%+ chance he’ll get a £250pw contract. So why would he sign for £250pw now?

There’s no point in Berwick Rangers spunking money by paying over the odds for players just now. I doubt there’s any realistic chance of Berwick getting in a blow in next season’s title race, given the level of insolvent trading going on in East Kilbride and the suburb of Cowdenbeath. It’ll be a long road back. Sadly, fans of the Wee Rangers – even those who were once on the board – don’t have a divine right to have someone else subsidise their fare for the journey.   

Edited by Victor von Doom

Interesting use of "suburb" there.

Claiming Kelty is a suburb of Cowdenbeath is a bit like saying  Linlithgow is a suburb of Falkirk.

I lost interest after “This is my first post on here” 

Divvint listen to them Victor, I think that's a good post!

The organ doesn't play without money in the slot!

Still no meaningful signings for BRFC, I'm getting really worried that the powers that be, cannot attract players, I fear the Lodger's predictions will come true!

Never mind I'm off to Mexico on holiday today, for 3 weeks, hopefully, no internet, so P&B will have to function without the great DL, just for a wee while.

But, I'll be back, ready to give my humble opinion once more, hopefully, we will have a team by then, a team that I hope will at least be capable of beating the mighty Coldstream.

I'll be lazing about  drinking my Pina Colada's in the sun, dreaming of the day when we might hear something positive from the board of BRFC, then I'll wake up!

See You's in 3

If this is the sort of stuff Berwick fans are going to bring to the LL forum I might start lobbying for them to be kept in League Two for next season

34 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

If this is the sort of stuff Berwick fans are going to bring to the LL forum I might start lobbying for them to be kept in League Two for next season

What telling folks he’s off to Mexico on holiday!!!!  It is a bit OTT he could have gone to Haggerson Castle.