Jump to content
gogsy

Berwick Rangers 2019/20 thread

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Crowd was 214 on Saturday but that's not been typical. It was a rearranged game, not a nice day, anonymous opposition, and BSCG essentially brought no fans. Don't expect Gretna next week will be great either... but CB and Gala over Christmas / New Year should do better, especially latter given the local derby aspect. In the spring EK, Spartans and especially 'Shire will be more attractive.

Our other league crowds have been 452 (Bonnyrigg: midweek), 404 (Kelty), 404 (Stirling Uni), 383 (Dalbeattie), 314 (Civil Service), 303 (Vale of Leithen) and 292 (Cumbernauld). So crowd for Vale a fortnight ago was little different to CSS in August and slightly higher than Cumbernauld in September. Average of 346 in league. That'll better anyone bar Bonnyrigg and Kelty.

Our cup crowds have been 603 (Ayr - LC), 509 (Falkirk - LC), 303 (Rangers B - CC), 291 (Newtongrange - SCC), 265 (Spartans - EQC) and 186 (Spartans - EOS Cup on midweek). Average of 352 across 'all competitions'.

Did the fans not go home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve called it for a while about berwick aswell. Not many clubs at this level can continue to lose that much money year on year and they are a tad fortunate they might have a few years to get this sorted as there are 4 or 5 poor teams in the league that wouldn’t finish in the top half of the EoS premier . It’s still not to late to cut there cloth and reduce the budget but the reality is the supporters have to accept lowland league football for a few more years.

Budget needs halved at least or outside investment is needed to cover the shortfall. Paying players league 2 wages and not getting league 2 income from sfa is never going to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Crowd was 214 on Saturday but that's not been typical. It was a rearranged game, not a nice day, anonymous opposition, and BSCG essentially brought no fans. Don't expect Gretna next week will be great either... but CB and Gala over Christmas / New Year should do better, especially latter given the local derby aspect. In the spring EK, Spartans and especially 'Shire will be more attractive.

Our other league crowds have been 452 (Bonnyrigg: midweek), 404 (Kelty), 404 (Stirling Uni), 383 (Dalbeattie), 314 (Civil Service), 303 (Vale of Leithen) and 292 (Cumbernauld). So crowd for Vale a fortnight ago was little different to CSS in August and slightly higher than Cumbernauld in September. Average of 346 in league. That'll better anyone bar Bonnyrigg and Kelty.

Our cup crowds have been 603 (Ayr - LC), 509 (Falkirk - LC), 303 (Rangers B - CC), 291 (Newtongrange - SCC), 265 (Spartans - EQC) and 186 (Spartans - EOS Cup on midweek). Average of 352 across 'all competitions'.

Anonymous opposition? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Anonymous opposition? 

In respect of fewer home fans having heard of you and there being no history between the sides.

Sadly not everyone are "total regulars"... certain proportion pick 'n choose.

All other circumstances being equal we'd get a bigger crowd against like of Bonnyrigg, Spartans, 'Shire or Gala than we would against like of BSCG, Caledonian Braves, Cumbernauld or Vale. It's similar story with our away support: even if facilities or distances are similar there'd be fewer travel to Cumbernauld than 'Shire, or to Dalbeattie than Gretna, or CSS than Bonnyrigg even if all other circumstances (weather/day/etc.) were equal.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

In respect of fewer home fans having heard of you and there being no history between the sides.

Sadly not everyone are "total regulars"... certain proportion pick 'n choose.

All other circumstances being equal we'd get a bigger crowd against like of Bonnyrigg, Spartans, 'Shire or Gala than we would against like of BSCG, Caledonian Braves, Cumbernauld or Vale. It's similar story with our away support: even if facilities or distances are similar there'd be fewer travel to Cumbernauld than 'Shire, or to Dalbeattie than Gretna, or CSS than Bonnyrigg even if all other circumstances (weather/day/etc.) were equal.

I think you’ve just nailed it right there. The lack of regulars. I was really surprised how low the crowd was on Saturday despite the weather and the unfashionable opposition. I know you quoted average attendance figures in an earlier post but you will find out with East Stirlingshire, Bonnyrigg & Kelty none of the LL teams have large travelling support. Certainly not enough to make a difference. Location will obviously play a factor as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 20:19, HibeeJibee said:

In other news the accounts for last season were released yesterday:
* turnover down 9% from £299,000 to £272,000
* wage bill was reduced from £230,000 to £193,000 (or about £4k per week)
* loss of £43,000 although this was an improvement on £50,000 previous season (plus about £15k of that £43k was sale of shares/depreciation)
* also notable that Supporters Club's donation fell from £34k to £29k, and Supporters Trust's from £7k to £1k
* finished with £66,000 in bank
* reduced wage bill planned for 2020-21

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00509064/filing-history

I hadn't appreciated that the club was a PLC.  That in itself adds administration costs to the operation of the club, e.g. auditors fees, employing a qualified company secretary and maintaining a share register.

If the club was to go private (become a Ltd company) it could certainly save a few £k, albeit at a cost of not being able to offer new shares to the general public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://berwickrangers.com/gretna-2008-fc-the-visitors/

Gretna 2008 FC the visitors

Tomorrow the 7th December 2019 we play Gretna 20008 at Shielfield Park with a 3pm kick off. After this season’s earlier postponement at Gretna, this will be the first meeting between the two clubs. After losing 5-1 at Kelty last time out, Gretna welcome back a familiar face in new manager Rowan Alexander who led the old Gretna FC to a SFA Cup final back in 2006.

TEAM NEWS

Healy is still out and a few players are struggling to shake off injuries.

Chalmers is suspended after the galling straight red last Saturday vs BSC Glasgow.




what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Park was anything but dry after today.


Mighty Berwick Rangers 2-1 Gretna

Huffed 'n puffed but at the moment an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Better team throughout and should've made the score more impressive late-on (what was Osei doing?). Sloppy defending and a spill from Brennan saw the visitors take the lead before Miller equalised from the spot after handball. Darren Smith scored the winner with an arcing effort from 25yds.

Need to keep-up momentum with 3 tougher games following.

Gretna only had 11 signed players + 3 triallists (1 being sub 'keeper) but looked better than Vale or Dalbeattie.


Btw, for clarity it was the Darren Smith... who made his debut for us 21yrs ago, left 14yrs ago, and came off the bench at HT today for his 2nd debut in his 40th year.

Maybe that's the solution: bring back the legends and veterans. O'Connor. McNicholl. Neill. Diack. Wood. Where art thou?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Park was anything but dry after today.


Mighty Berwick Rangers 2-1 Gretna

Huffed 'n puffed but at the moment an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Better team throughout and should've made the score more impressive late-on (what was Osei doing?). Sloppy defending and a spill from Brennan saw the visitors take the lead before Miller equalised from the spot after handball. Darren Smith scored the winner with an arcing effort from 25yds.

Need to keep-up momentum with 3 tougher games following.

Gretna only had 11 signed players + 3 triallists (1 being sub 'keeper) but looked better than Vale or Dalbeattie.


Btw, for clarity it was the Darren Smith... who made his debut for us 21yrs ago, left 14yrs ago, and came off the bench at HT today for his 2nd debut in his 40th year.

Maybe that's the solution: bring back the legends and veterans. O'Connor. McNicholl. Neill. Diack. Wood. Where art thou?
Ghost of Sammy Reid signing incoming imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Park was anything but dry after today.


Mighty Berwick Rangers 2-1 Gretna

Huffed 'n puffed but at the moment an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Better team throughout and should've made the score more impressive late-on (what was Osei doing?). Sloppy defending and a spill from Brennan saw the visitors take the lead before Miller equalised from the spot after handball. Darren Smith scored the winner with an arcing effort from 25yds.

Need to keep-up momentum with 3 tougher games following.

Gretna only had 11 signed players + 3 triallists (1 being sub 'keeper) but looked better than Vale or Dalbeattie.


Btw, for clarity it was the Darren Smith... who made his debut for us 21yrs ago, left 14yrs ago, and came off the bench at HT today for his 2nd debut in his 40th year.

Maybe that's the solution: bring back the legends and veterans. O'Connor. McNicholl. Neill. Diack. Wood. Where art thou?

A transitional period for us i sense.  Much better scoreline wise, just need a settled team in the coming weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Park was anything but dry after today.


Mighty Berwick Rangers 2-1 Gretna

Huffed 'n puffed but at the moment an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Better team throughout and should've made the score more impressive late-on (what was Osei doing?). Sloppy defending and a spill from Brennan saw the visitors take the lead before Miller equalised from the spot after handball. Darren Smith scored the winner with an arcing effort from 25yds.

Need to keep-up momentum with 3 tougher games following.

Gretna only had 11 signed players + 3 triallists (1 being sub 'keeper) but looked better than Vale or Dalbeattie.


Btw, for clarity it was the Darren Smith... who made his debut for us 21yrs ago, left 14yrs ago, and came off the bench at HT today for his 2nd debut in his 40th year.

Maybe that's the solution: bring back the legends and veterans. O'Connor. McNicholl. Neill. Diack. Wood. Where art thou?

I thought we were better than that today. Seemed a bit more intensity about our play, moved the ball quicker and defended in numbers when we needed to. Final ball wasn't always there and we lack a real striker getting in there. On a positive note, and given the sticks he usually gets, I think it's only fair to say Grant Rose had the best game I've seen him have for us. Smith's goal was a beauty, he started the move, jinked past the defence when he got the ball back and the finish was sublime.

I also think you're being a bit generous towards Gretna. I thought the only difference between them and Vale or Dalbeattie was their physicality, they were far and away the dirtiest team I've seen in the Lowland this season.

Edited by Stewie Griffin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stewie Griffin said:

I thought we were better than that today. Seemed a bit more intensity about our play, moved the ball quicker and defended in numbers when we needed to. Final ball wasn't always there and we lack a real striker getting in there. On a positive note, and given the sticks he usually gets, I think it's only fair to say Grant Rose had the best game I've seen him have for us. Smith's goal was a beauty, he started the move, jinked past the defence when he got the ball back and the finish was sublime.

I also think you're being a bit generous towards Gretna. I thought the only difference between them and Vale or Dalbeattie was their physicality, they were far and away the dirtiest team I've seen in the Lowland this season.

Agree about Rose. Good movement and control, (without ever being a goal threat though). Surely should have had a penalty too, instead of a yellow card. 

Agree too about Gretna being the dirtiest team we've seen this season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My  Brother said to me before the game that Brennan would give away a goal and he was right! What a plonker Brennan.:oops

Poor game overall. I kept drifting off into a day dream at times and for a while in the first half watching the birds fighting each other in the west end of the main stand was much more entertaining.

Yaw Osei had a mare.

The highlight was Darren Smith. His calm delivery of the ball forward was class and his goal was an absolute peach. His experience and professionalism was plain to see and I hope the rest of the team can learn from him. 

Onward and upward (I hope)🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Redcar said:

 

Agree too about Gretna being the dirtiest team we've seen this season. 

 

How many were booked or sent off if Gretna were so dirty?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sureiknow said:

How many were booked or sent off if Gretna were so dirty?

 

That would require a decent ref. This one missed 2 pens, gave one the other way as a dive, and gave an indirect free kick for a pass back, then rescinded it when the linesman told him the rules.

For further proof that cards aren't an indication of honest play, checkout Morelos in today's cup final

Edited by Redcar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darren Smith was a trialist on Saturday, but signed after the game. 

We desperately needed someone with a bit of nous and who can pick a pass, though 39 years old is a big ask. 

So long as Lewy Barr does his running for him, I think this is a good signing. The youngsters can watch and learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...