gogsy

Berwick Rangers 2019/20 thread

The league and cups are too difficult for that Facebook group to understand it seems, apparently four games in hand already means it's a Mickey Mouse setup . :lol:

By the end of September the gap will close - the three teams who have played 6 games don't play this coming midweek (as they played on the 17th instead). And then EK and Berwick play next month when everyone else is on Scottish Cup duty.

Granted most Berwick fans won't realise, but it's a fairly freak set of circumstances.

We're 3 games 'behind' due to playing in SPFL League Cup group, Gretna being waterlogged, and being drawn in South Challenge Cup R1; a few clubs are 1 game 'ahead' because they didn't have a cup-tie last Saturday so accordingly don't have a league game this midweek. We will catch that game up on Tuesday and the opening day game in 3 weeks time. Had there been no waterloggings in the opening weeks everyone would have been on 8 games come September 21st except for ourselves and BSCG on 7 games.

Indeed 7 of our next 8 matches are league games. I doubt anyone wants to visit Gretna midweek unless it's unavoidable, either, whereas in SPFL2 it would have been almost inevitable.

I think it is probably understandable that some fans feel playing in these cups is "beneath" us. However - like the radio station taking the fun out of our opponents, as they've got "funny" or "silly" names like Stirling University, Spartans, "Newton Grange" Star and Civil Service Strollers - it is a bit disappointing; and others will see it as lacking a bit of class. We're playing in these cups and against these teams as we've got ourselves relegated out of the Scottish League. We're not a cut above them, end-of-story.

On the other hand there were fans in the row behind me yesterday saying it was refreshing to play different teams, and that if there was no realistic prospect of us challenging for the title the chance to reach a cup semi-final or final would be excellent. Winning these 2 cup-ties after 16 consecutive defeats has also been very welcome.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

How is Euan Smith doing for you guys ? a player I personally would have kept at Brechin 

Key player for us, but he has hardly played. (Some major family health issues which we all hope are improving) 

Was back yesterday and scored, and should be the anchor in our midfield. 

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Granted most Berwick fans won't realise, but it's a fairly freak set of circumstances.

We're 3 games 'behind' due to playing in SPFL League Cup group, Gretna being waterlogged, and being drawn in South Challenge Cup R1; a few clubs are 1 game 'ahead' because they didn't have a cup-tie last Saturday so accordingly don't have a league game this midweek. We will catch that game up on Tuesday and the opening day game in 3 weeks time. Had there been no waterloggings in the opening weeks everyone would have been on 8 games come September 21st except for ourselves and BSCG on 7 games.

Indeed 7 of our next 8 matches are league games. I doubt anyone wants to visit Gretna midweek unless it's unavoidable, either, whereas in SPFL2 it would have been almost inevitable.

I think it is probably understandable that some fans feel playing in these cups is "beneath" us. However - like the radio station taking the fun out of our opponents, as they've got "funny" or "silly" names like Stirling University, Spartans, "Newton Grange" Star and Civil Service Strollers - it is a bit disappointing; and others will see it as lacking a bit of class. We've playing in these cups and against these teams as we've got ourselves relegated out of the Scottish League. We're not a cut above them. End-of-story.

On the other hand there were fans in the row behind me yesterday saying it was refreshing to play different teams, and that if there was no realistic prospect of us challenging for the title the chance to reach a cup semi-final or final would be welcome.

Fair comment. I'm guilty as charged and will be celebrating if we win one of these 'Mickey Mouse' cups

Realism also required IMO.

Are we going to win LL this season? If not we won't be playing in the Scottish League Cup group next season. (Which is no bad thing on the avoiding pumpings front, frankly it was demoralising - its prime benefit has been prizemoney and gates receipts).

Are we going to finish top 4 in LL this season? If not we wont be playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup next season. (Which is a fairly indifferent thing, anyway: we crashed out to a 'B' team this season for comparatively little prizemoney and some biscuits).

If so, then regarding 'domestic' cups as Mickey Mouse is going to be a bit pointless, as the only other is the Scottish Cup. Rather dreary to only be interested in 1 competition and potentially exit it after 1 tie.

Edited by HibeeJibee

45 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Realism also required IMO.

Are we going to win LL this season? If not we won't be playing in the Scottish League Cup group next season. (Which is no bad thing on the avoiding pumpings front, frankly it was demoralising - its prime benefit has been prizemoney and gates receipts).

Are we going to finish top 4 in LL this season? If not we wont be playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup next season. (Which is a fairly indifferent thing, anyway: we crashed out to a 'B' team this season for comparatively little prizemoney and some biscuits).

If so, then regarding 'domestic' cups as Mickey Mouse is going to be a bit pointless, as the only other is the Scottish Cup. Rather dreary to only be interested in 1 competition and potentially exit it after 1 tie.

I can imagine at this time next season your club missing the little prize money from the Challenge Cup do you even get a tea cake for winning anything the the LL/EOS.

I'm meaning in comparison to League Cup.

I don't see us winning LL. Finishing top 4 possible if challenging. If so the prizemoney will be welcome, but I can't think anyone is assuming we're going to finish above at least 2 of Kelty/Bonnyrigg/EK/'Shire/BSCG/etc. My point is that even if these cups aren't exciting everyone, exiting in R1 to a 'B' team again wouldn't excite either. Indeed yesterday's crowd v team with a "silly name" in a "Mickey Mouse" cup - not in my eyes but you follow - was actually little different to v Rangers 'B' (291 v 303).

Personally I'm happy a terrible losing run is over, regardless of coming in East/South cups - and a chance of making the Challenge Cup again doesn't diminish them.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Love the dougster guy asking if there wasn't a team playing seven games in may last season, still cant figure out what league Berwick are in. :lol: Like the claims of scheduling games early in case of  heavy backlog of  games in case there is a bad winter and the claim there isn't a structured format to the season.

Well, there's not really much defending that. Cursory glance at the club or league website, or the match programme, would show the league season ends in April and there is a fixture-list.

Tbf there still seems to be a dose of cynicism/hysteria among sections of the support about almost everything - the board, the match officials, the sponsors, the missing burger van.

Someone even had a conspiracy theory at Saturday's game because Jimmy Twice wasn't around and the 50/50 draw numbers had started again from 0.

That was sore on the eye that game. Edin uni were never going to score but was shocked how bad berwick were first half. 2nd half slightly better and would say they deserved there win but not by much.

Another scrappy game.  A very humid evening to start with but improved when the temp dropped and the flies went away.  I wasn't impressed with the playing surface, the grass was far too short like a bowling green, and with it being so wet from the rain before the match it was very slippery.

Euan Smith off his game (understandably) and Healy seemed to be still tired after Saturday's game. Bringing Yaw on was the game changer. Unfortunately he had to put up with some unnecessary off the ball physical aggression from Edinburgh's number 3 when he came on. 

Thank you to Hallowed Turf for his footage.

A couple 'sitters' missed but a good goal, pleased with the result, good to get 3 points on the board. 🙂

On 26/08/2019 at 11:34, gogsy said:

Love the dougster guy asking if there wasn't a team playing seven games in may last season, still cant figure out what league Berwick are in. :lol: Like the claims of scheduling games early in case of  heavy backlog of  games in case there is a bad winter and the claim there isn't a structured format to the season.

obsessed

5 minutes ago, gogsy said:

^^ absolutely rattled:)

rattled enough to be trolling on the facebook page eh gobsy

Edited by dougster

3 minutes ago, dougster said:

rattled enough to be trolling on the facebook page eh gobsy

Are you saying the facebook page shouldn't be viewable to non Berwick supporters tweedledug?

7 minutes ago, dougster said:

Who says you're not a berwick supporter  Gobsy?

Aye ok .;)

🤔

7 hours ago, Pugsley said:

I wasn't impressed with the playing surface, the grass was far too short like a bowling green

First time I've heard someone complain that the playing surface was like a "bowling green"!