gogsy

Berwick Rangers 2019/20 thread

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

There are 2 reserve Saturdays kept... March 14th + March 28th (unless either in EOS Qualifying Cup Final).

Also cup dates should both exit:

South Challenge Cup
October 12th (R3)
November 9th (R4)
March 7th (R5)
April 4th (SFs)

EOS Qualifying Cup
November 30th (R4)
January 18th (SFs)

Do you have a game next Saturday the 17th? We don't have a game scheduled.

Just now, gretnascotty said:

Do you have a game next Saturday the 17th? We don't have a game scheduled.

:unsure2: You're at home to Sauchie, in EOS Qualifying Cup R1.

Mighty Berwick are at home to Spartans: same stage of same competition.

'Shire and Stranraer SOS the only idle southerly clubs.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

:unsure2: You're at home to Sauchie, in EOS Qualifying Cup R1.

Mighty Berwick are at home to Spartans: same stage of same competition.

'Shire and Stranraer SOS the only idle southerly clubs.

To be fair I barely check the website and normally just google the fixtures😂

I'd imagine it will be a midweek fixture at some point then 👍

Are Berwick really in danger of going out the game altogether? The Chairman is calling on local businesses to help https://www.berwickshirenews.co.uk/sport/football/berwick-chairman-s-plea-support-the-club-or-lose-it-1-4982184

To be honest, I think the best way to get the local community on board is to get them all involved by having kids teams from the age of five right through to under twenty's, girls teams, a ladies team etc all under the Berwick Rangers name and there would be no shortage of help. The clubs that have this type of set up are the ones who attract financial support and the clubs who just rely on people handing them cash are the ones going nowhere.   

Edited by old speckled hen

2 hours ago, old speckled hen said:

Are Berwick really in danger of going out the game altogether? The Chairman is calling on local businesses to help https://www.berwickshirenews.co.uk/sport/football/berwick-chairman-s-plea-support-the-club-or-lose-it-1-4982184

To be honest, I think the best way to get the local community on board is to get them all involved by having kids teams from the age of five right through to under twenty's, girls teams, a ladies team etc all under the Berwick Rangers name and there would be no shortage of help. The clubs that have this type of set up are the ones who attract financial support and the clubs who just rely on people handing them cash are the ones going nowhere.   

That’s the route kelty went , community  club set up , everything under one roof 

Berwick Rangers chairman John Bell has voiced his concern that the club faces desperate times if it cannot secure increased support from the local community.

In a statement issued today (Monday), he said the Shielfield side had consistently lost tens of thousands of pounds every year, for a long time now, in trying to maintain a semi-professional football team in the town.

It had been kept going by favourable Scottish Cup ties, such as Celtic in 2011, and the bonus of having Rangers in their league in 2013.

However, that well was running dry and Berwick wanted to avoid any future crisis by getting the issue addressed now. “To do that, we need to increase the attendances at Shielfield and we’d also appeal to local businesses to offer whatever support they can to keep the club viable,” said Mr Bell.

“We have a number of very loyal and extremely supportive contributors – but we’d love to have a few more. Bell is well aware that some supporters would question if he’s the right person for the role, having served as vice-chairman since 2011 and during the disastrous campaign last year, which saw the club relegated from the SPFL to the Lowland League.

“Relegation was a massive blow to the club, and, of course it’s fair to say decisions made in good faith didn’t ultimately work out,” he said. “I was very much a part of that decision-making, as every director should be, and, as such, fully accept my share of responsibility. “I also feel a responsibility to try to put things right and create a platform for the club to bounce back. I’ve recruited some new board members I feel have a lot to offer the club and we’re fortunate to have some great volunteers who are really committed to the cause – without them, we would have folded a long time ago, as we couldn’t stage a game. “It’s been heartening to see former volunteers returning to the Club too but we’d welcome more help, especially on match days.

The infrastructure that runs the club is almost entirely unpaid and, as any club committee will appreciate, various bits of legislation consistently

serve to increase demands on our time and funds.

“On paper, it’s a PLC, a business but, in reality, it’s a community organisation that needs the generosity of the community to make it work. Every penny generated is ploughed back in to keep the club functioning.”

Bell doesn’t fit the stereotypical image of a football club chairman, having returned to his home town 25 years ago to head up a new charity in Berwick working with teenagers. Berwick Youth Project now employs five full-time staff and is one of the largest youth organisations in the area. “I’m extremely proud of what the Youth Project has achieved,” he added. “We’re placed in a position of trust and work with some of the most vulnerable young people in our community. Individuals and foundations trust us to spend their money wisely and get maximum benefit from it, and that’s the philosophy we have to employ at Berwick Rangers.”

Having supported the club since childhood, Bell would find it difficult to walk away. “I served as chairman of the Supporters’ Trust for 10 years and now for 10 years in my second spell as a director, so it’s difficult to imagine a life without the club being part of it,” he said.

“However, the club has been around for more than 130 years and is bigger than any individual, so if it can progress better without me, I’ll step aside. It’s fair to say there might not be a huge queue to take the job on at present but, hopefully, that won’t always be the case.”

“There’s a lot of emotional connection to the club from a lot of people. People whose parents, grandparents and great-grandparents have watched the club, who’ve bought shares to help build the stadium in the ‘50s, who’ve watched great cup ties and taken pleasure in the attention the club brought to the area.

“But that emotion doesn’t pay the bills and, while people might currently choose to attend games or not, that choice won’t be around in a couple of years unless we turn the tide. I’d love every adult in the Eastern Borders and North Northumberland to pledge to attend jus one game each season – that alone would probably secure our future.”

On the playing side, Bell is optimistic about the coming season: “We’re very much a work in progress. Ian Little started in June with a handful of signed players and has worked tirelessly to bring a squad together that we believe is capable of being among the top sides in the Lowland League. “We had to be realistic in what we could achieve this year and Ian’s brief is to play entertaining football and get into the top four or five, where fixtures are meaningful every week.

“There’s a lot of youthful energy and inexperience in the squad and that might lead to inconsistency as well as excitement, but I’m very content with what I’ve seen so far. Fans want to be entertained and the Lowland League should give us the opportunity to do that.”The continuing development of more local players such as Grant Rose (Jedburgh), Gary Windram (Eyemouth) and Jack Cook (Dunbar) is also a reason for some satisfaction for Bell: “These lads came into the U20s Development Team a couple of years ago and they’ve put a lot of effort into their

football. They’re getting their reward now and I hope this is a continuing trend and we can find more like them.”

Berwick Rangers’ next game is this Saturday, August 17at Shielfield Park, when Spartans of Edinburgh are the visitors in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

1 hour ago, Ducket Lodger said:

Berwick Rangers’ next game is this Saturday, August 17at Shielfield Park, when Spartans of Edinburgh are the visitors in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

The cup Berwick fans,though not HJ, used to take the piss out of us for having to qualify to play them 😂

Edited by newcastle broon

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

That’s the route kelty went , community  club set up , everything under one roof 

Having a lot of kids teams doesn't guarantee increased support, increased help or increased finances for the senior team.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Having a lot of kids teams doesn't guarantee increased support, increased help or increased finances for the senior team.

Didn’t say it did neebs just said that’s the way kelty have gone 

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

No it doesn't guarantee it but having kids teams associated with the club can increase your chances of success when it comes to applying for funding. As for increased support, it may not guarantee an increased support but their chairman is saying that one adult from the area attending one game per season would secure their future so on that basis I'd say the more people they get involved the more likey some of the kids will want to go to some games and their parents would be taking them.

1 hour ago, old speckled hen said:

No it doesn't guarantee it but having kids teams associated with the club can increase your chances of success when it comes to applying for funding. As for increased support, it may not guarantee an increased support but their chairman is saying that one adult from the area attending one game per season would secure their future so on that basis I'd say the more people they get involved the more likey some of the kids will want to go to some games and their parents would be taking them.

That’s what it’s like at kelty , even built a wee Astro pitch inside ground where the bairns play 30 a side 😂 while parents watch the soccer 

“But that emotion doesn’t pay the bills and, while people might currently choose to attend games or not, that choice won’t be around in a couple of years unless we turn the tide. I’d love every adult in the Eastern Borders and North Northumberland to pledge to attend jus one game each season – that alone would probably secure our future.”

Am I massively overestimating how many people he’s referring too here he’s talking about ? Or does that sound unbelievably unrealistic.

Even so it seems a bizarre market to go for. Many won’t even like football, and most of those that do will have their interest limited to putting a coupon on, watching some TV games and taking a vague interest in how well the OF/Hibs/hearts/Newcastle do. These guys aren’t interested in the slighted in watching LL football.

Getting your 1 game a season guys turning up to 5/6 games, your 5/6 games being regulars, your regulars as ST holders and your ST holders using hospitality, in a monthly draw etc is a far easier sell.

On a related note, Berwick considering themselves as a regional team might have held some weight in the spfl, but as a LL side can they be considered the same?

On 11/08/2019 at 22:30, gretnascotty said:

To be fair I barely check the website and normally just google the fixtures😂

I'd imagine it will be a midweek fixture at some point then 👍

You were getting me worried there Big Lad,  i'm coming over on Saturday for the game.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Am I massively overestimating how many people he’s referring too here he’s talking about ? Or does that sound unbelievably unrealistic.

Even so it seems a bizarre market to go for. Many won’t even like football, and most of those that do will have their interest limited to putting a coupon on, watching some TV games and taking a vague interest in how well the OF/Hibs/hearts/Newcastle do. These guys aren’t interested in the slighted in watching LL football.

Getting your 1 game a season guys turning up to 5/6 games, your 5/6 games being regulars, your regulars as ST holders and your ST holders using hospitality, in a monthly draw etc is a far easier sell.

Berwickshire had a population of about 22,000 back in 2001 (that's for roughly the old local authority district not larger historic county)... Berwick-upon-Tweed Borough & District had a population of about 26,000... both will now have grown slightly so call it a round 50,000. Obviously if they all each came to one game it would be great: you'd add over 3,000 to every gate! If you could get 10% (300) of them you'd double normal gates. I'm thinking 1% (30) is probably more realistic.

That applies across the whole country of course: there are over 5,000,000 people in Scotland but only about 125,000 will be at football this weekend. In a month perhaps 250,000 different will people attend a game? Maybe 300,000 if there's more irregular fans than I'm thinking. That's only 1 in 20 people.

I think you should take the sentiment symbolically rather than literally.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

On a related note, Berwick considering themselves as a regional team might have held some weight in the spfl, but as a LL side can they be considered the same?

Regionally there still isn't any competition for a club at this level. You have to reach the Lothians, Galashiels or Morpeth. I think the notion that we've already reached the stage where your floating supporter, family moved into the area, teen who's passed his driving test, etc. see us in the same bracket as Coldstream, Tweedmouth, Spittal, etc. is far fetched. I do not buy that.

Edited by HibeeJibee

13 hours ago, old speckled hen said:

I understand all that, I merely speak from experience.  Kids "wanting" to go and dragging their dad along is largely a myth, maybe one or two but it doesn't change things to a great extent.

I'm not saying it's bad thing, far from it, but don't see it as a solution to increasing interest in the senior team.

12 hours ago, Kelheart said:

That’s what it’s like at kelty , even built a wee Astro pitch inside ground where the bairns play 30 a side 😂 while parents watch the soccer 

Take that away and will the kids still want to go?  It's a great idea of course but very few clubs have that luxury.

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Regionally there still isn't any competition for a club at this level. You have to reach the Lothians, Galashiels or Morpeth. I think the notion that we've already reached the stage where your floating supporter, family moved into the area, teen who's passed his driving test, etc. see us in the same bracket as Coldstream, Tweedmouth, Spittal, etc. is far fetched. I do not buy that.

The floating supporter won't have a clue what level Berwick are playing at, certainly not after getting papped out of the national league setup entirely. You've got delusions of relevance given your club's current status. 

BTU come out come out wherever you are....? Where is this trumpet these days folks #FindBTU

On 13/08/2019 at 23:43, HibeeJibee said:

I think you should take the sentiment symbolically rather than literally.

Symbolism won't pay the bills, the 'literally' will. Let's operate in that. 

22 hours ago, mo83 said:

BTU come out come out wherever you are....? Where is this trumpet these days folks #FindBTU

Absolutley loving that I've still got you wrapped round my little finger. Every post, every mention fills me with joy. Don't forget me, ever x