2019/20 League Cup

The draw for the last couple of seasons(if not since the start of the group stages) has always taken place on the Friday after the Premiership play-off has concluded so I'd expect it to take place on Friday 31st May on BT Sport, probably at 6:30. Fixtures should be out by the following Tuesday, in line with last years timescales, I'd imagine.

It's only "later" than last season because the season finishes a week later.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

League Cup draw on the Friday night and Champions League final on the Saturday. Don't know which I'm most excited about.

The former, if we are indeed going to be chucked into the "South" section.

Nothing better than a relaxing trip to Annan, Dumfries or Stranraer :).

Alloa at home, or Dundee United if they fail to come up, and one other non-seeded team.  Away to Peterhead and Cove please, back to back so Saints fans can go on a 3 day north east seaside boozing extravaganza.  And most importantly I can tick off two new grounds.

3 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I’ve never cared about the league cup as much as the Scottish Cup but the recent changes have basically killed any of the chances the lower league sides had. The group stage makes it hard for us to get out (although we managed it once, and came close the other twice) so I’m honestly not bothered who we get. It’s basically just a glorified pre-season tournament now so I’d like to see us give the youth players more time than usual.

Ayr have been out the group every single time so I disagree. 

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I’ve never cared about the league cup as much as the Scottish Cup but the recent changes have basically killed any of the chances the lower league sides had.

Not sure that's the case - there's been 7, 5, and 5 teams from outside the Premiership in the last 16 since the format changed. In the previous three seasons it's been 8, 4, and 7 - so not much difference.

7 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Is that not the season after

Hmm you're right, the press releases says from 2020 (makes sense as that'll be the end of BT Sport's coverage)

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-secures-ground-breaking-broadcast-deals

https://www.premiersports.com/football/scottish-cup-press-release.html

Edited by Ginaro

The group stages are excellent: you get to see new signings, go to grounds you don't usually get to visit and it's football in the summer. All this while knowing that it doesn't [/i]really[/i] matter, so the games are invariably pleasant experiences.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The group stages are excellent: you get to see new signings, go to grounds you don't usually get to visit and it's football in the summer. All this while knowing that it doesn't [/i]really[/i] matter, so the games are invariably pleasant experiences.

Agree with this. We also have a very decent record in the group stage. Got out the group all three teams and have won every single group game the last two years. 

3 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I’ve never cared about the league cup as much as the Scottish Cup but the recent changes have basically killed any of the chances the lower league sides had. The group stage makes it hard for us to get out (although we managed it once, and came close the other twice) so I’m honestly not bothered who we get. It’s basically just a glorified pre-season tournament now so I’d like to see us give the youth players more time than usual.

The majority of the Championship sides are second seeds in the group stage, and the four best runners-up get through to the next round. So even if you don't cause an upset you have a decent chance of making it through.

9 minutes ago, clyde_1877 said:

So is the draw tonight?

I doubt it as the final team for it was only confirmed yesterday. And it was live on BT last year so assume same again this year unless theyve lost the rights?