The big semi final play off extravaganza - Edinburgh vs Clyde, Clyde vs Edinburgh

Clyde had the the bulk of the crowd. Thought it was more myself. If it is 600 must have been 350clyde. Shocking set up there. No where to park a bus at a football ground. Hope we finish it on Saturday early doors. 

Missed the game as I’m in Ireland at the moment. Glued to the phone all night. Delighted with the result. Was really worried after Saturday that we seemed to be running out of steam, which we probably are. Good that we could bring in Syvertsen and for him to score again at Edinburgh. Need to dig deep for Saturday and hopefully next week. Annan in pole position in the other tie. Think they’re through. 

1st half we could have had tie out of sight...Possession stakes. Pressing and several chances missed...

2nd Half. Goodwillie swung and missed early on but from then onwards we seemed to get deeper as the game went on, Could have easily finished a 2nd goal swing for either team on the back of the two halfs,Chances created and missed & were fortunate to come away with a slim lead going into sat..

Agreed Duffie had a very good game and our Motm. Balontoni still their best player every time ive saw him and we really need to stop allowing him so much time at the back to create things espicially if Henderson back for return Leg??!

Fingers crossed we score first on sat and we have a stronger ref as some of the fouls he was awarding them were very soft and im never one to complain about officials.

Foreva n eva

I went and sat with the Edinburgh fans, not that you could tell considering they barely moved or made a sound. Many more interested in the Liverpool game than what was in front of them. A bit depressing for a playoff game.

Thought Clyde were the far better team throughout and beyond a few long punts Edinburgh didn’t do much, though they were unlucky to hit the bar. It was interesting to see a competitive game at this level.

1 hour ago, BerwickMad said:

I went and sat with the Edinburgh fans, not that you could tell considering they barely moved or made a sound. Many more interested in the Liverpool game than what was in front of them. A bit depressing for a playoff game.

Thought Clyde were the far better team throughout and beyond a few long punts Edinburgh didn’t do much, though they were unlucky to hit the bar. It was interesting to see a competitive game at this level.

I also went to the game and stood with some Edinburgh fans.  I'm not sure that I agree with you about the game though.  Clyde were dominant in the first half with the only chance for Edinburgh being the Balatoni header off the bar right at the start.  Love was dominating Thomson who was playing quite high and being bypassed with balls over the top.

So Edinburgh were lucky to go in at half time with only a single goal deficit and Clyde continued the second half as they were in the first but only for about 5 minutes.  From that point Edinburgh more than held their own with a string of chances missed and Thomson playing a little deeper and handling Love quite easily.  Goodwillie missing the ball twice in the box was the only time I can think that Clyde had a clear cut chance in the second half whilst Edinburgh hit the woodwork twice including the miss of the open goal when the guy could have taken the ball down, done 10 Keepy-ups and still had time to slot the ball into the net.

In response to those criticising the officials, it was interesting watching the game as a neutral as I didn't think they was any bias in the officiating of the game.  The only comment I would make is that the 4th official should keep put of the decision making process unless he is going to do it consistently.  Twice the ref gave free-kicks on the direction of the 4th official whilst there were two blatant fouls (one for either team) right in front of him and nothing given.  He also prevented  from a quick throw with a spare ball that had already been used in the game.

All in all, a decent but not classic game between two teams who on this performance will struggle to get through the play-offs.  Edinburgh appeared to have a good few missing from the last time I saw them and the Clyde team were a shadow of the team that battered us 3-3 at Broadwood.

Good luck to both teams on Saturday.

Edited by strichener

29 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Were Edinburgh (and Annan) able to rest a load of players at the weekend? 

I was speaking to a director of ECFC at the game and he told me that the missing players were injured rather than rested.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Were Edinburgh (and Annan) able to rest a load of players at the weekend? 

Annan have been working with a small squad all year and Murphy has interchanged the team quite well in recent weeks giving all the players some game time after we had qualified.

Clyde were missing Cuddihy and Rankin our player of the year and runner up player of the year. Anyone know if Cuddihy is back for Saturday? Thought Duffie done well and would keep him there and move Cuddihy into midfield.

Thought the ref was fine.

7 hours ago, Bullyme said:

Clyde had the the bulk of the crowd. Thought it was more myself. If it is 600 must have been 350clyde. Shocking set up there. No where to park a bus at a football ground. Hope we finish it on Saturday early doors. 

Kilmarnock used to have a perfectly good car park that they wouldn't let away fans buses into with the result that Meadowbank fans had to walk half a mile into Rugby Park for games.

Given the obesity epidemic in Scotland a wee bit of exercise will do you good. Suck it in.

Hopefully the team can continue their tremendous effort for another week and a half, only half-time v Embra, however back at Broadwood should give us that advantage, an early goal should settle the nerves.......not even going to speculate further............. We have injuries, however this is a collective team spirit and we all battle together (inspirational Lennon & Moore), just like Liverpool last night who were missing a few key stars, however they managed to gain a historic victory...............both Liverpool and Clyde playing in all red!!!........just saying 

14 hours ago, elgin proud said:

600 at a play off semi is simply embarrassing presuming clyde had a decent support there too. What is the actual point of Edinburgh city

What is the point of Elgin City apart from giving the Scorries something to shite on and the local sheep a well deserved rest between 3pm and 5 pm every other Saturday?

Barry was limping slightly last night. If he misses Saturday with view to being fit for any final I’d take that. Duffie was superb last night and if he replicated that on Saturday that would lessen his loss.

The last 30 minutes were far from smooth but we got the job done. Edinburgh are one of few teams in the league that can match our fitness levels late in a match and think that showed. We got lucky with some abysmal finishing from Shepherd but we’ve earned that luck in my opinion.

I’m not certain the other match is dead yet but we can only think about who we’re playing if we get the job done. Edinburgh will need to come at us so hopefully Goody will get more space in behind their back line to work with.

Duffie did really well last season it has just been unfortunate for him that we tried Cuddihy at right back and he has been one of our top performers all season. Stirling away midweek Duffie came into the side & again performed well. Different type of player but even with Cuddihy fit i reckon both will start. Cuddihy replacing Rankin in the midfield with his energy & running.

Overall i think Edinburgh deserved a draw - still dont know how their forward managed to hit the bar when he had the whole of the goal to put the ball in!

Delighted to be going into the 2nd leg at home with a scoreline of 1-0 though. Looking forward to it on Saturday!

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

What is the point of Elgin City apart from giving the Scorries something to shite on and the local sheep a well deserved rest between 3pm and 5 pm every other Saturday?

The 12 points that they provide to Peterhead each year is the point.  Therefore next season they will be pointless.