Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

McCall's comments in that BBC article are absolutely bang-on. Play-Offs should be genuinely exciting for fans whose team have a chance of promotion, but to ask an already injury-ravaged Ayr to play 6 games to get there is just pathetic and for that reason I'm not really feeling the excitement at the moment. Scottish football is, in my opinion, on an upward trajectory but we still have an absolutely shambolic set of people making the big decisions.

1 minute ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

McCall's comments in that BBC article are absolutely bang-on. Play-Offs should be genuinely exciting for fans whose team have a chance of promotion, but to ask an already injury-ravaged Ayr to play 6 games to get there is just pathetic and for that reason I'm not really feeling the excitement at the moment. Scottish football is, in my opinion, on an upward trajectory but we still have an absolutely shambolic set of people making the big decisions.

With a blank slate I'd have 2 legged semi and a single final leg at a neutral stadium. Plenty of stadiums between 10-20k mark that could host depending on the sides involved. 
Would also draw the playoffs randomly instead of seeding so everyone has an equal chance. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Ally said:

It absolutely should be more difficult for Ayr than for the eleventh team in the Premiership.  It should be more difficult for Inverness than for Dundee United.  Jobby McCall has become wiser and more relaxed in his middle years, but I can't agree with him on that.  There's a case to say that 4th in the Championship isn't really deserving of a place by way of achievement in-and-of-itself, but them's the rules.

I guess it's all about getting his players to fight for the cause though.

1 minute ago, Im_Rodger said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48185538

Definitely not 'anti-sport'.

Although it could be improved. 

4th shouldn't qualify for the play offs. 

2nd VS 3rd over 2 legs winner faces Premiership 11th at a neutral 1 off game. 

11th in Premier League should be relegated.

3 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

With a blank slate I'd have 2 legged semi and a single final leg at a neutral stadium. Plenty of stadiums between 10-20k mark that could host depending on the sides involved. 
Would also draw the playoffs randomly instead of seeding so everyone has an equal chance. 

Why should Ayr (or indeed any team finishing fourth) have an equal chance?  Not to diminish the team's efforts this season at all, but as part of a wider view, why should the team finishing second concede any chance to the team finishing fourth?   The playoffs aren't about equality, they're about adding excitement to the end of the season without detracting from league placement.

I don't dispute that 4th place should have a harder task than 2nd place, but what exactly would be wrong with having the exact same format that the Championship and League One Playoffs have? Second Bottom vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. It's common sense.

They really should just get rid of the playoffs.

Top 2 up and bottom 2 down. Playoffs can be exciting but the second bottom team in the Premiership shouldn’t get to stay up.

Yes but not only is it the top tier of Scottish football which would cost the Premiership side (approx) £1.5million if relegated, it is also a larger league with 2 more teams than the division below. 

4th in a league of 10 is not an achievement and shouldn't be rewarded with a shot of promotion to Scotland's best league. 

2 teams down is too many. 

1 down with another with a shot of saving themselves offers more stability for clubs that actually do achieve something and get promoted. 

I do feel the quantity of play off games can be reduced though.

6 games of football for the team that finished 3rd to attempt to get promoted is too many. 

Fair enough thinking that 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league don't deserve to have an easy path through the play-offs. The bit that doesn't really add up is why the system is so different from the play-offs between the Championship + League 1 and League 1 + League 2.

If you have play-offs across the divisions then the formats should be as similar as possible out of fairness. Fair enough the Premiership teams play 2 extra games but that's hardly an insurmountable problem. It's the same with the play-offs from League 2 + Highland/Lowland league: there's only one spot for the winners of HL/LL (and they're bigger leagues so there's next to nothing to play for the vast majority of the teams) and even then they have to play-off against one another before getting a crack at the bottom team from League 2 (who for whatever reason get a second chance to save themselves).

4th in a 10 team league is effectively mid-table.  It's a bit of a farce tbh.  Same with 3rd.  It really should be 2nd v 11th like it used to be.

1 minute ago, Im_Rodger said:

Yes but not only is it the top tier of Scottish football which would cost the Premiership side (approx) £1.5million if relegated, it is also a larger league with 2 more teams than the division below.

If clubs who might the fighting relegation don't factor in the drop in prize money then that's their problem.

And the fact it's a larger league surely makes finishing in the bottom 2 worse than if it was a 10 team league? 

"He claims the rules are a "carve up" to favour the side finishing second bottom of the top flight"

Only an idiot would attempt to argue with that and we all knew that was why it was setup the way that it was. The top tier clubs basically wanted a closed shop and to hell with everyone else.

Personally speaking I believe the team finishing 2nd deserve to either be automatically promoted or at least a straight play off against the team finishing 2nd bottom of the league above.

It's all very well saying the play offs are "exciting", however it kind of makes a mockery of having a league season when a team finishing 4th can potentially get promoted when the team finishing 2nd don't............