Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

Just now, TheScarf said:

i think most people (including the ICT fans I've seen commenting on it) agree that the current set up intentionally hinders the sides finishing 3rd and 4th.  Indeed, ICT and Ayr shouldn't even be in the play offs at all.  It should be 2nd v 11th over 2 legs.

We both should be in the play offs as that was the rules when we started, however I agree that teams finishing 3rd and 4th probably don't deserve to be there as that's the whole point in having a league season in the first place, ie, in order to determine who is the best / most consistent team over the course of a season.

In a situation in any league in any country where a team finishing 4th can potentially get promoted after finishing well behind a team finishing 2nd who then fail to get promoted just doesn't sit right for me.

Anyway, I think most of us agree to be honest.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We both should be in the play offs as that was the rules when we started, however I agree that teams finishing 3rd and 4th probably don't deserve to be there as that's the whole point in having a league season in the first place, ie, in order to determine who is the best / most consistent team over the course of a season.

In a situation in any league in any country where a team finishing 4th can potentially get promoted after finishing well behind a team finishing 2nd who then fail to get promoted just doesn't sit right for me.

Anyway, I think most of us agree to be honest.

Indeed.  I think Brechin finished 4th in League One and went up via the play-offs in 2016-2017.  Then subsequently signed no one and got fucking murdered most weeks.  There's no way Brechin should've been in the Championship last season.  They were mid table.  

Just checking.  They did indeed finish 4th, 12 points behind 2nd placed Raith, with a goal difference of -6, and they got promoted. :lol:

Edit - They were closer to bottom of the table Stenhousemiur (11 points) than Raith.

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed.  I think Brechin finished 4th in League One and went up via the play-offs in 2016-2017.  Then subsequently signed no one and got fucking murdered most weeks.  There's no way Brechin should've been in the Championship last season.  They were mid table.  

Just checking.  They did indeed finish 4th, 12 points behind 2nd placed Raith, with a goal difference of -6, and they got promoted. :lol:

Edit - They were closer to bottom of the table Stenhousemiur (11 points) than Raith.

That's a good example and confirms exactly why it's a bad idea.

I'm not even sure how it works from a financial perspective ?

Do teams gain anything extra in prize money etc for making the play offs ? and do we share gate receipts or just keep our own home gates after costs ?

On 5/8/2019 at 17:06, RiG said:

Interesting read this. ICT basically saying that playing this game on Saturday will cost them money given how much of the ticket sales the SPFL hoover up.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's a good example and confirms exactly why it's a bad idea.

I'm not even sure how it works from a financial perspective ?

Do teams gain anything extra in prize money etc for making the play offs ? and do we share gate receipts or just keep our own home gates after costs ?

See my post above where ICT explain just how little money we take from these games.

11 minutes ago, RiG said:

See my post above where ICT explain just how little money we take from these games.

At those gate prices to the club it is clear  after deducting operating costs for the day, staff wages, policing and security, utilities etc then  the game would see the club  losing financially.

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

Cheers, that's pretty poor especially given that we're also being shafted by the TV deal and the latest BBC 7.05pm Friday kick offs.

I don't think we have any new injury worries so I suspect we will go with the same starting XI as Tuesday. Are Ayr likely to be taking a decent number up for this one?

I don't think we have any new injury worries so I suspect we will go with the same starting XI as Tuesday. Are Ayr likely to be taking a decent number up for this one?
My guess would be between 300/400.

52 minutes ago, AuAl said:
2 hours ago, RiG said:

My guess would be between 300/400.

I wasn't for going but this team deserves all the support they can get after the season we have had. So it's up to Inverness I go, 9 hour return journey.

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

I wasn't for going but this team deserves all the support they can get after the season we have had. So it's up to Inverness I go, 9 hour return journey.

Crikey, 9 hours on the road!

That's a huge commitment for sure.

I had no idea it takes that amount of time to get up and down the A9 etc

Baws oot for this one, has to be.

Need to blow Invernessshirecountycaleythistleness out the park.

Only way we can get through, leave it all out on the pitch, from the first minute - no point in any cagey stuff. Think we might need to score 3 here at least as I think the highlanders will nick a goal at some point.

We need to harness the Big Jamie spirit.

Shankland needs to get angry, but not Hulk angry, just enough pissed-off-ness to run through the defenders like he can do.

9 hours return ayr to inverness, are you going via carlisle??? hope all those travelling get home safely, that A9 is a monster...
Well it's 4 hours up so an 8 hour return journey to be spot on, however if you were to stop for a break either way it'll be nearer 9 hours.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:
29 minutes ago, marello said:
9 hours return ayr to inverness, are you going via carlisle??? hope all those travelling get home safely, that A9 is a monster...

Well it's 4 hours up so an 8 hour return journey to be spot on, however if you were to stop for a break either way it'll be nearer 9 hours.

I don't think @marello is of age to have a driving licence. Either that or cannot read a map.

3 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Baws oot for this one, has to be.

Need to blow Invernessshirecountycaleythistleness out the park.

Only way we can get through, leave it all out on the pitch, from the first minute - no point in any cagey stuff. Think we might need to score 3 here at least as I think the highlanders will nick a goal at some point.

We need to harness the Big Jamie spirit.

Shankland needs to get angry, but not Hulk angry, just enough pissed-off-ness to run through the defenders like he can do.

Fucking right.

Get stuck right in lads......:thumsup2

14106354.jpeg