Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

The problem is the fact it’s a relatively small league. I do agree that 4th place shouldn’t expect any favours but it should be consistent.

The play offs were only ever going to be introduced if they were weighted in favour of the premiership clubs - otherwise they would never have voted for them (turkeys at Christmas and all that...). Ideally, 11th would automatically be relegated and then it should be a straight shoot out between 2nd,3rd and 4th through a semi and a final.

Again, however, due to the small league that means mid table could gain promotion and I do accept the argument that why should mid table be rewarded. However that’s how it has to be until we have a bigger league.

McCall’s point is that both Inverness or Ayr have to play significantly more games to reach the play offs and at this stage of the season, that’s a tall ask.

My main grump from the other night was that there didn’t seem to be much between the two teams but that Inverness benefited from some contentious officiating.

That said, we could have avoided the first goal with better organisation and the 2nd by playing to the whistle. The penalty was very soft, and inconsistent with other pushes and shoves that were going on in the game; I’ve seen those both given and not given but in the context of how other decisions went Ayr fans feel aggrieved.

The second half of our season has been largely pish. I’ve said before that I think this has come from player burnout (a small squad whose season starts in mid-July will invariably pick up injuries) and our lack of physicality. I know that McCall likes attacking football, but we also need to take steps to counter oppositions strengths - Inverness played to theirs on Tuesday.

If we can’t mount a comeback, I have no qualms with hoping Inverness go up.

We should use the same format as England, 3th v 4th in a semi final and then the winner plays 2nd in the final for promotion.

Bottom two should get relegated automatically from premiership, if you've been shit all season and finish second bottom you don't deserve a second chance chance to stay up imo.

That format should be used in all the leagues in Scotland.

Again I can see both arguments, however as we have a league season with only 10 teams involved then  quite frankly everyone has had their chance and to give teams who finish 4th and even 3rd a chance to progress over a team finishing 2nd is pretty crazy in my opinion and makes a mockery of having the league season in the first place.

2 up, 2 down, or alternatively 2nd in Championship plays 2nd bottom in Premier in a straight play off match.

36 minutes ago, super_carson said:

McCall’s point is that both Inverness or Ayr have to play significantly more games to reach the play offs and at this stage of the season, that’s a tall ask.

TBF we haven't heard Robbo moaning about it and ICT have played more games recently by not bowing out of the SC at the diddy rounds.

Everyone knows the set up and number of games, so no idea why so many moan at the end of the season, clearly if McCall isn't happy he should have ensured his team either won the league, finished second if that's a more acceptable number of play-off games or thrown the towel in wks ago to drop out of the top 4. No point getting there and claiming it as an achievement then moaning like f**k cos its a bit harder work when you had a chance to avoid the situation but couldn't. This really is a 2nd bite at it for Championship teams who really over the course of a season don't deserve it. Should be a simple 2 up & 2 down with none of this play-off pish - you're good enough over 36/38 games or you're not.

5 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

TBF we haven't heard Robbo moaning about it and ICT have played more games recently by not bowing out of the SC at the diddy rounds.

Everyone knows the set up and number of games, so no idea why so many moan at the end of the season, clearly if McCall isn't happy he should have ensured his team either won the league, finished second if that's a more acceptable number of play-off games or thrown the towel in wks ago to drop out of the top 4. No point getting there and claiming it as an achievement then moaning like f**k cos its a bit harder work when you had a chance to avoid the situation but couldn't. This really is a 2nd bite at it for Championship teams who really over the course of a season don't deserve it. Should be a simple 2 up & 2 down with none of this play-off pish - you're good enough over 36/38 games or you're not.

Again, I can see both sides of this argument.

McCall though is 100% correct, the play offs are designed so that potentially the team finishing 3rd / 4th overcomes the team finishing 2nd in the 2 legged affair, as such by the time they come to play the team finishing 2nd bottom of the Premier they've already played 4 matches in quick succession with yellow and red cards also having an impact but of course the Premier team is going straight in fresh with just the one 2 legged match to deal with.

Like I've said though, same as you, I'd prefer the 2 up 2 down or 2nd place plays 2nd bottom and that's it.

56 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Correct.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

How are the play-offs stacked in favour of the Premiership team? 

It’s the 4th place team that causes issues. Remove them, a straight 2 leg play off between 2nd and 3rd - then the winner plays 11th. The two “finalists” play 40 games. 

If you’re finishing midtable then you don’t merit a place in the Premiership.

This, we shouldn't even be on these playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

All ticket game for Saturday, can you get a ticket up there? 

I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Just give yourself a bit of time to pick up one from the front of the main stand before going in to the away section. We don't do tickets at the turnstyle.

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Just give yourself a bit of time to pick up one from the front of the main stand before going in to the away section. We don't do tickets at the turnstyle.

And don't forget to enjoy our bar at the side of the main stand before the game, all are welcome with a ticket for the game.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Looks like number 3 is very close to playing him onside.

It's very close.  It's clearly offside but not the 'yard' McCall says which makes him just sound daft.  Linesman should still see it though.  Can't really tell from highlights re the penalty.  Dont think it is one - but we had a similar one at the same end v someone (County maybe) when Rose gets a push and goes flying.  

Really dont get the ICT fans getting touchy when Ayr fans point out that their team bullied Ayr at the back and up front.   It's just a fact that Ayr at the moment with the squad we have and the likes of Adams out injured can't cope with that.   Teams like Partick play the exact same - the difference is that their big guys arent good enough to deal with our wee guys, whereas Inverness quite clearly can.  

I don't think anyone is getting touchy. I'm absolutely delighted Robbo knows how to beat Ayr,  by going direct against them. 

I, among others, take umbrage with the notion that we only won because of the referee.  Which is utter pish. 

I don't think anyone is getting touchy. I'm absolutely delighted Robbo knows how to beat Ayr,  by going direct against them. 
I, among others, take umbrage with the notion that we only won because of the referee.  Which is utter pish. 

You clearly never won because of the referee, however the winning margin was bigger and the tie not as tight because of the referee/linesman.

I find the reaction to the McCall interview rather astounding as quite obviously he was asked the question about the play offs which he answered truthfully where as Robertson wasn't asked about this so didn't comment. Maybe if Robertson was asked for his views on whether he thought the play offs were stacked in favour of the SPL clubs he'd answer in exactly the same way, in fact I'd be shocked if he didn't.

Surely people must understand by now how the media twist things in order to get a headline / story etc ??

i think most people (including the ICT fans I've seen commenting on it) agree that the current set up intentionally hinders the sides finishing 3rd and 4th.  Indeed, ICT and Ayr shouldn't even be in the play offs at all.  It should be 2nd v 11th over 2 legs.

McCalls post match comments about the officials is just another deflection tactic in a long line of them under him in his tenure. He’ll never hold his hands up and say another team deserved to win/his selection or tactics were at fault etc. Referees, fans, the weather or the pitch is his trump cards.