Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk expecting referees, who are humans, to get every single decision correct when they have varying angles to see incidents and have to make a decision in real time :lol:

Folk thinking it's in any way strange or odd that a ref doesn't get every decision correct :lol:

Imagine being annoyed at a big decision or two going against your team in a big game. Christ.

Do you ever make worthwhile posts or is it all just passive aggressive shite?

Just now, eez-eh said:

Imagine being annoyed at a big decision or two going against your team in a big game. Christ.

Do you ever make worthwhile posts or is it all just passive aggressive shite?

I never said there was anything wrong with being annoyed with it. There were folk saying they couldn't understand how some decisions were given whilst others weren't. That was where my post was directed. I don't think that was difficult to comprehend.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This thread is shite tbf.

Ref made 2 errors. The goal was offside and it wasn’t a penalty imo. I’ll give the ref stick during the game but ultimately he can’t see everything that happens and in fact one of those errors is down to the linesman but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that his view is somewhat obscured. Other than that I thought we played ok but not enough to win the game. We had 3 chances that should have been goals. The one we scored with, McDaids that he put over the bar and McCowans chance just after coming on. I can’t really remember Doohan having to do too much tonight. The first two goals are easily avoidable and the 3rd is never a penalty. It’s shite I know but that’s what happens sometimes.

Secondly, I don’t like the play offs. I’m pleased Ayr have a chance to go up but it’s a bit stupid that a 4th placer team out of 10 can get promoted. It’d make more sense to have bottom 2 down and top 2 up. You’d get more variety in the league as well.

Yeah this thread has turned into a bit of a shitfest, roll on Saturday and no more dodgy referreing decisions for crying out loud.

I suppose it doesn't matter now, but I've become obsessed with this.  One last attempt to convince ICT fans that their second goal was offside. They are being hair tearingly obtuse about this, whether deliberately because they know it was offside, or just because their thick. I'll shout this next bit. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CAMERA ANGLES. As myself and others have pointed out, you have a big white line on the pitch which shows, without possibility of contradiction, that White is inside the box and no Ayr player is when the ball is passed to him.   QED.  What more evidence do you need. The linesman may have been unsighted by Harvey I agree, but the ref was close enough to have seen this for himself. 

And, once more, your penalty was of the supersoft variety. Your guys' collapse to the turf was superbly done. 10 out of 10 for artistic impression.  I'm surprised more Ayr fans have not pointed out the assault on Shankland at 6.10 in the highlights. Your number 29 has no chance of getting to the ball before Shankland, so just launches himself at him.  If Kerr's "assault" (otherwise known as a gentle touch in the back) was worth a pen, then so was this much more robust effort. In truth, I don't think either was a penalty, but there you go. 

Easy enough for ICT fans to suggest we should stop whinging about these decisions. They have more or less handed you a semi against DU on a platter and ended our season and somehow we shouldn't be upset about it.  I suppose in true Corinthian spirit you lot would just have accepted these decisions without complaint and with a cast iron upper lip if they had been the other way round. To redress the balance, I would expect a few favours from Mr McLean on Saturday as Killie fans are desperate to have us promoted. 

Good lord, some of this stuff is embarrassing. ICT's second goal may or may not have been offside. Who cares. The ref and linesman get to view it once, in real time, from their angle, under pressure and make the call as they see it. Sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes these decisions go for you, sometimes against. It's how football has been since day dot.

As someone else said, comebacks are in vogue this week. These types of things can be infectious and the Ayr boys will have watched the Liverpool and Spurs games and it may have given them a wee bit of inspiration and confidence. With our usual noisy away support we are still in with a shout here.  Come on ye Ayr!

9 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

White has one foot over the white line and the rest of his body, including his other leg, looks to be about on the line. There is another Ayr player standing on that white line, between White and the linesman, which would suggest White is marginally offside, but is blocked out from the linesmans view. From the angle in the video it’s obviously inconclusive though, and I think there is some amount of reaching by Ayr fans, given that they are criticising the ref for giving a pretty obvious penalty.

Aye. Regardless of whether anyone sees the video as conclusive or not, the linesman is watching that in real time. The idea that - in real time, also having to look at the moment the ball is played - any linesman could possibly be described as incompetent, disgraceful and so on for getting something so marginal as a player having just one foot offside wrong is what’s really ridiculous here, on the line of the box or not.

20 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Here's a still for our ICT friends going on about the angle.

FireShot Capture 002 - SPFL Premiership Playoff QF Leg 1_ Ayr United v Inverness Caledonian _ - www.youtube.com.png

I can't quite see the ball in this shot and it certainly doesn't seem to be instantaneously attached to the attacker's foot. This infers that the image captures a place in time shortly after the pass was released and therefore of no consequence to the actuality of the contention.

Quod erat demonstrandum, nah, not quite riiiite enuu-uuff.

Good statement by Inverness, it's madness that the SPFL hoover up the majority of the cash for the parachute payment, frankly there is no way that relegated clubs need £700k it rewards poor financial planning. Every player in the premier League should have relegation clauses in their contract and the buisnesses really ought to have some money in reserve for relegation. It would be more appropriate to have £400k given in 2 payments to clubs, otherwise the temptation is for clubs to spunk the extra cash on buying their way out the league.

5 hours ago, jm86 said:

Easy enough for ICT fans to suggest we should stop whinging about these decisions. They have more or less handed you a semi against DU on a platter and ended our season and somehow we shouldn't be upset about it. 

Ayr haven't laid a glove on ICT all season.  I'd say that's down to the manager and the players, rather than a disputable penalty.

Apart from all that goes out of the window once the regular season has ended and you are facing two-legged knock outs. The last two nights of European football should tell us that - Liverpool finished 3-0-3 in their Group stage, Spurs 2-2-2 in theirs and they have both made the final. 

Absolutely ICT have had the best of it so far, but the difference is a clearly offsite goal  and a disputable penalty. The penalty isn't is the same category  as the second goal, it's how the ref sees it and we've all seen them given. The offside is about as obvious a mistake as you will find, but the not atypical outcome of the woeful standard of our officials up here. 

We need to use it as a motivation for Saturday. It's half time and we're two down. Need to channel our day away at Brechin a few years ago now, roar the lads on so that they leave it all on the pitch and what will be will be. COYA!

With all due respect I think the real frustration with Ayr fans is that after flying high and with all the media attention that deserved in the first half of the season the disappointing second half has  fallen flat with too many losses, what is behind this collapse may be due to injuries or that other teams have contained them, who knows, they may turn things around come Saturday but..................

39 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Apart from all that goes out of the window once the regular season has ended and you are facing two-legged knock outs. The last two nights of European football should tell us that - Liverpool finished 3-0-3 in their Group stage, Spurs 2-2-2 in theirs and they have both made the final. 

Absolutely ICT have had the best of it so far, but the difference is a clearly offsite goal  and a disputable penalty. The penalty isn't is the same category  as the second goal, it's how the ref sees it and we've all seen them given. The offside is about as obvious a mistake as you will find, but the not atypical outcome of the woeful standard of our officials up here. 

We need to use it as a motivation for Saturday. It's half time and we're two down. Need to channel our day away at Brechin a few years ago now, roar the lads on so that they leave it all on the pitch and what will be will be. COYA!

It really isn't.

All this talk of blaming the ref is absolute loser chat. Offside or not, Ayr have to defend better for the second. Regarding the penalty it wasn't the ref who stupidly shoved the Inverness player in the back. It also wasn't the ref who let the Inverness have a free header at goal for the first. It wasn't the ref who missed the Ayr chances.

10 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

This is utter nonsense.

You finished 3rd in a 10 team league and don’t deserve promotion or special treatment etc. Much like ourselves last season.

Can’t believe a side gets a shot at promotion and whines and complains about a few extra matches, when they knew it would be the case for months and said nothing.

It's really not nonsense at all. The Playoffs to get into the Premiership should be the same format as the other divisions, which is not 'special treatment', it's just the way it should be. I agree that 4th in a 10 team league isn't a major achievement but that is besides the point. If we are going to have Playoffs, then do it right.

Also, why would any club have said anything months ago? That would have been 'utter nonsense'.

21 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

With all due respect I think the real frustration with Ayr fans is that after flying high and with all the media attention that deserved in the first half of the season the disappointing second half has  fallen flat with too many losses, what is behind this collapse may be due to injuries or that other teams have contained them, who knows, they may turn things around come Saturday but..................

We're not all feeling like that, I've already stated that we were beaten fair and square the other night, irrespective of whether one of the goals and the penalty could be perceived as dodgy.

That's football, it happens all the time, however the bottom line for me is that we failed to cope with the physicality of Inverness even though we all knew it was how you would play, that's nothing against yourselves and more a criticism of our own failings.

I do still believe we're capable of turning it around on Saturday, however whatever happens I'm still counting this as one of the most enjoyable and indeed successful seasons in our recent history, so all good for me.............

20 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

It's really not nonsense at all. The Playoffs to get into the Premiership should be the same format as the other divisions, which is not 'special treatment', it's just the way it should be. I agree that 4th in a 10 team league isn't a major achievement but that is besides the point. If we are going to have Playoffs, then do it right.

Also, why would any club have said anything months ago? That would have been 'utter nonsense'.

100% this.

I don’t have a problem with 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league having a hard route through the play-offs but the inconsistency is that the format is so different from the Championship and League 1 play-offs. It should be consistent across the pyramid - the fact that the Premiership team play 2 more games shouldn’t be used as a means to stack the play-offs in favour of them.

How are the play-offs stacked in favour of the Premiership team? 

It’s the 4th place team that causes issues. Remove them, a straight 2 leg play off between 2nd and 3rd - then the winner plays 11th. The two “finalists” play 40 games. 

If you’re finishing midtable then you don’t merit a place in the Premiership.

23 minutes ago, yoda said:

It’s the 4th place team that causes issues. Remove them, a straight 2 leg play off between 2nd and 3rd - then the winner plays 11th. The two “finalists” play 40 games. 

Why should the premier team not be involved at the same stage as everyone else like the championship and league 1 clubs are?

Why should the team that finish second have to play and extra round of games?

I don’t agree with 4 place being worth a play off but that’s what it is in every other league so why not the championship.

lets just bring the premier team in to play 4th place and 2nd V 3rd from the outset.

24 minutes ago, yoda said:

If you’d actually read my post you’d see I’m not particularly disagreeing with that.

For last time the point I’m making is that there is no consistency across the play-offs. Few people seem to have a problem with fourth in League 1 or League 2 getting a crack at the play-offs but all of a sudden when it’s the Premiership/Championship involved people start finding excuses for the difference in format.