Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

Are people watching a different clip to me? On my phone it looks impossible to tell whether he’s on or of but a lot of people seem convinced? 

There’s no way you can tell from the angle in the video in this thread, I agree. I also can’t see an obvious red card offence near the end, again purely from that video.

But I’m guessing people were at the game and saw it differently.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There’s no way you can tell from the angle in the video in this thread, I agree. I also can’t see an obvious red card offence near the end, again purely from that video.

But I’m guessing people were at the game and saw it differently.

Agree with that too. White came out and said he was kicking free to release his legs from Muirhead’s as he felt Muirhead was trying to break his ankle. 

Looks like White might just be offside but I can see why the linesman didn't flag. The Ayr player just on the edge of the box might be blocking his view. The camera angle isn't great.

If I was an Ayr fan I'd be more annoyed at the players all stopping and appealing for offside instead of, you know, playing to the whistle. We had a similar incident with McMullan the other week where he clearly handled the ball and all of our defenders stopped and appealed letting him waltz through and score. Frustrating but if they kept at it they might have cleared the danger.

Anyway, 3 - 1 is a great result for us but it's not over yet. At home we are rank and an early goal for Ayr might see the fans get on the players backs. It's still anyone's game.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

We get it, we have 3 or 4 guys over 6 foot.  

Its sign of a good manager when he plays the tactics best suited to the players he has. And the sign of a bad one who has no plan B..... 

Aye, if you dont like a style, learn how to combat it.

We used to have Dundee/Aberdeen fans mewling about our "style". McInnes learned to combat at it and they finally beat us, McCann/McIntyre moaned about it, and we won every game against them this season without conceding a goal.

I'd suggest Ayrs problems sit in the dugout.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Glad to see we've gone back to being hammer throwing Highland thugs after a few years of tippy-tappy rubbish.

There is no doubt it’s effective but imo talented ball players like Dorans and Walsh miss out as they are constantly trying to feed off second balls from knockdowns from White. 

12 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

There is no doubt it’s effective but imo talented ball players like Dorans and Walsh miss out as they are constantly trying to feed off second balls from knockdowns from White. 

Walsh and Doran both won player of the season awards for us and Doran got in the Championship team of the year so they've hardly been bypassed by our constant stream of long balls.

Keep the faith Ayr,  remember bouncing back from that horrendous Auchinleck result to beating the tangerines six days later....so you never know....

As someone once said....it's a funny old game..... 

I wasn't overly surprised or even overly disappointed by how things went last night. We played pretty much the way we've been playing for the 2nd half of the season with just no cutting edge and creating very little. Inverness on the other hand played to their strengths, they out muscled us and they were far stronger in all areas of the field. Having said that I don't believe there were 2 goals between the teams on performance but I can have no complaints as ultimately we created the problems for ourselves with both the penalty and possible offside goal.

The main piece of optimism for me was our 10 - 15 min burst after we scored our goal with Forrest and McCowan adding that much needed pace and energy to our attack, both of them are also very good footballers and you could see an immediate impact when both were introduced, so for me having them signed up for next season gives me real hope that we can have another good season ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I've not totally written off our chances on Saturday but it will be extremely difficult against a very professional and well organised Inverness side.

As for the discussion on McDaid, I'm in the "not too bothered if he leaves" camp as when he's good he's very good but sadly he's so inconsistent and at times he's a waste of a jersey, I also hate to say it but I think Moffat's level has dropped terribly since the away game at Alloa and he looks totally done in, who knows maybe he could come back after a good break and I'd certainly give him that chance. Muirhead is what he is, he's a siege type defender but his distribution is poor to say the least and I'm not convinced that he fits in to our way of playing.

All said though, it's still been a fantastic season for us with lots of great memories and I believe we've already got the nucleus of a decent squad signed up for next season, the main priority now, has to be to attempt to get Doohan back for another year and I'd also be offering an extension to Bell, but all in all things are still looking good down the Somerset road..............

6 hours ago, jm86 said:

Having had my rant against the ref, there is also the uncomfortable fact that we just can't seem to handle ICT's style of play which is crude but very effective. Fill your team with giants and simply keep hoofing the ball up front and hope to get something from the second balls. Works a treat, but reduces football to a rather basic level.  Ross county use similar tactics at times, and I can't remember the last time we beat them either. I've never seen two teams with so many huge players. Where do they get all these giants ? Is it mandatory that you have to be over 6 ft to get on the books of highland teams?  And why is it other teams seem capable of handling this style of play but we can't.  Answers on a postcard. 

If by basic it means winning then I'm all for it.

That's the fourth or fifth time we've met this season,  I would think by now that your management team would have developed a game strategy to combat our play but they haven't.

Just as well we don’t play a lot of long balls every game.

Robbo has clearly highlighted playing direct physical football as a weakness of Ayr and, shockingly, this is how we play against you.

Most of the time we do try to keep the ball on the deck and get Doran, Polworth and Walsh on the ball.

Always good to have the option of playing balls into white and feeding off second balls as well.

Yep, Robbo clearly knows the Ayr players are weak in the air and teams will get a lot of joy playing directly against them.  He's great at adapting our style of play and he definitely knows how to do a number on Ayr.

Edited by TheScarf

The majority of teams in this league are more physical than us which wouldn’t be difficult since we’re a team of midgets. Our season turned in the second half of the 3-3 Ross County game when they started pumping the ball forward for their little and large act to cause havoc and it’s as if our defence have been completely scarred since.

The infuriating thing is that we still play some lovely football when we keep it on the deck, but we seem to get roped into playing long balls and I can’t understand why. I wonder if the players have lost the confidence to play the ball out in the same way as they were in the first half of the season, but f**k me you’d think they’d catch on that high balls aren’t fucking working.