Ayrv Inverness / Inverness v Ayr - Play Off Quarter Final

Not sure he is really bothered. He probably just trying to promote a bit of "us and them" trench mentality to try to get an extra 2%  out of his players.

That fact that it is exactly the same for our opponents tonight is maybe irrelevant if he's looking at the big picture. Merits of 3rd or 4th place having a shot of promotion aside, if you are going to have a play off system it should be the same with all the leagues. HL & LL has to be different as they both feed one Division, but even that should be nearer the system  of the SPFL.

Let an equal meritocracy rule! 

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

31 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Yes but not only is it the top tier of Scottish football which would cost the Premiership side (approx) £1.5million if relegated, it is also a larger league with 2 more teams than the division below. 

4th in a league of 10 is not an achievement and shouldn't be rewarded with a shot of promotion to Scotland's best league. 

2 teams down is too many. 

1 down with another with a shot of saving themselves offers more stability for clubs that actually do achieve something and get promoted. 

I do feel the quantity of play off games can be reduced though.

6 games of football for the team that finished 3rd to attempt to get promoted is too many. 

The bottom half of "Scotland's best league" is just as shite as the top half of the league below.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It absolutely should be more difficult for Ayr than for the eleventh team in the Premiership.  It should be more difficult for Inverness than for Dundee United.  Jobby McCall has become wiser and more relaxed in his middle years, but I can't agree with him on that.  There's a case to say that 4th in the Championship isn't really deserving of a place by way of achievement in-and-of-itself, but them's the rules.

I guess it's all about getting his players to fight for the cause though.

Nah, 11th shouldn't even be in with a shout.

What’s up with McCall? He seems really irritable these days and rarely a week goes by without him whining about something.

He’s on Sportsound most weeks and normally says something which pisses off someone.

This is more a siege mentality thing which he’s done a lot at Ayr.

Dreamed that Ayr won this first leg 8-3, so get your fivers on now. 200/1 shot.

In terms of teams being handicapped in the playoffs like Ayr and Inverness are this year - it's patently absurd. By far the best playoffs in football are from the English Championship to the Premier League and it makes no difference whether you finish 3rd or 6th (and 18th in the league above don't get a free shot at the winners).

Last time we played at Ayr in a big match in midweek we lost 5-1.  Ross Tokely got sent off for punching Pat McGinlay and Steve Paterson made him go and sit on the bus for the rest of the game.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Last time we played at Ayr in a big match in midweek we lost 5-1.  Ross Tokely got sent off for punching Pat McGinlay and Steve Paterson made him go and sit on the bus for the rest of the game.

Think I was at this game due to working in Glasgow during the week at that time and taking in a few midweekers here and there - 2002 was it?

Recall Inverness playing some bonnie fitba and contriving to lose 5-1.

Their fans were giving it "soft southern b@stards" with a nice Highland lilt outside the ground after the game. 

Hamilton have won 8 out of 36 games, St Mirren 6 and Dundee 4.
That doesn't suggest that the bottom three out of the bottom six in the PL have had great seasons.
I honestly think the winner of this tie will go up Dundee United will screw it up and I think both Hamilton and St Mirren are on a downward spiral

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Will I tell you about the other few dozen matchups?