Raith Rovers v Forfar/Forfar v Raith Rovers

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Nizzy getting presented with the Tartan Boot award before the game...cue him having a mare/getting injured.

The boot that you saw was a ball, The Tartan Ball which is presented to the top scorer in each division, the SPFL haven't presented the Boot for the top overall scorer yet.

TBH, I don't know if it will be shared with Henderson of Edinburgh City or there is a tie break scenario.

Sort of enjoyed that, strange game. Really quite underwhelmed by the attendance. To only get 1700 home fans is quite a rubbish effort even for a Tuesday night. Only about 400 up on a usual home game. Forfar travelled in good numbers and I’m sure they’ll feel as though they’re well in the tie.

Really quite a strange formation and it took us about 65 minutes to get to grips with it. That 5-3-2/3-5-2 only really works when 1) we have two natural wing backs and 2) at least 2 of the midfield 3 have good legs and are able to get forward to support. Crane had his best game in fucking ages and McKay did his best but he’s never a wing back in a month of Sunday’s. Matthews did well enough in the middle but he’s literally doing the running for three men alongside Nat and Barjonas, the latter being absolutely reeking until he was hooked.

Gullan coming on really worked. He’s much more mobile than Buchanan and it means that we could go a bit more direct into the channels. Took his goal really well, bullet into the corner. Nisbet did what Nisbet does. Generated such power on the header from almost a standing start.

Forfar did well with the ball and were really tidy in possession without ever looking too dangerous. Baird’s goal was a beaut but interested to see if Lyness should have got a stronger hand on it. Lyness did pull off a really strong save towards the end when it looked like the boy just had to go round him so hard to be too critical.

All to play for, bring on Saturday.
Attendance surprised me too. At £10 thought home fans would have turned out. All to play for at fortress Station Park. Few twists yet I reckon.

1 minute ago, Loondave1 said:
6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:
Sort of enjoyed that, strange game. Really quite underwhelmed by the attendance. To only get 1700 home fans is quite a rubbish effort even for a Tuesday night. Only about 400 up on a usual home game. Forfar travelled in good numbers and I’m sure they’ll feel as though they’re well in the tie.

Really quite a strange formation and it took us about 65 minutes to get to grips with it. That 5-3-2/3-5-2 only really works when 1) we have two natural wing backs and 2) at least 2 of the midfield 3 have good legs and are able to get forward to support. Crane had his best game in fucking ages and McKay did his best but he’s never a wing back in a month of Sunday’s. Matthews did well enough in the middle but he’s literally doing the running for three men alongside Nat and Barjonas, the latter being absolutely reeking until he was hooked.

Gullan coming on really worked. He’s much more mobile than Buchanan and it means that we could go a bit more direct into the channels. Took his goal really well, bullet into the corner. Nisbet did what Nisbet does. Generated such power on the header from almost a standing start.

Forfar did well with the ball and were really tidy in possession without ever looking too dangerous. Baird’s goal was a beaut but interested to see if Lyness should have got a stronger hand on it. Lyness did pull off a really strong save towards the end when it looked like the boy just had to go round him so hard to be too critical.

All to play for, bring on Saturday.

Attendance surprised me too. At £10 thought home fans would have turned out. All to play for at fortress Station Park. Few twists yet I reckon.

If my pals are a representative group, one was working overseas, one was working down in London, one in Manchester, one watching Liverpool game, one was at a gig. Two of us turned up.

I’d imagine we’ll take a decent travelling support to Forfar on Saturday.

If my pals are a representative group, one was working overseas, one was working down in London, one in Manchester, one watching Liverpool game, one was at a gig. Two of us turned up.
I’d imagine we’ll take a decent travelling support to Forfar on Saturday.
Hope so. Deserves a decent turn out on Sat could be interesting. I would have taken a one goal defeat before the game but a wee bit dissapointed not to get the draw. I have been thinking how amusing it will be if Montrose go up while everyone's looking elsewhere for the winner.

The attendance is a fair reflection of where most Rovers fans are at, in that there is very little belief we can win these play offs.

As for the game, I thought it was a pretty grim spectacle. Two poor sides on the whole.

Really disappointed by the line up McGlynn put out and the fact we were a bit too willing to settle for a one goal lead. I think we may end up with cause to regret that come full time on Saturday.

Hilson better not kick anyone else, or McGlynn might change his mind about signing him!

Was that him that put in that really bad tackle before there was a bit of a stramash near the centre circle? That was a real bad one.

Also what happened when Gillespie got booked? I thought I had a really good view of it, and I was absolutely certain at the time that the Forfar boy kicked him and when the ref came running over I was 100% sure he was coming to book the full back.

The attendance is a fair reflection of where most Rovers fans are at, in that there is very little belief we can win these play offs.

As for the game, I thought it was a pretty grim spectacle. Two poor sides on the whole.

Really disappointed by the line up McGlynn put out and the fact we were a bit too willing to settle for a one goal lead. I think we may end up with cause to regret that come full time on Saturday.
You realise this is Div1 not Liverpool v Barca. I thought it was an entertaining 90 mins if niggly at times.

Was that him that put in that really bad tackle before there was a bit of a stramash near the centre circle? That was a real bad one.

Also what happened when Gillespie got booked? I thought I had a really good view of it, and I was absolutely certain at the time that the Forfar boy kicked him and when the ref came running over I was 100% sure he was coming to book the full back.
Yes. That was Hilson.

As for Gillespie, he barged into the back of Spencer off the ball so I think the ref got that right.

I was a bit surprised at Raith settling for 2-1 as we were on the ropes a bit. I hope McGlynn tries to sit in on Saturday

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

The determination and fight in this Forfar team is quite something. Fair result (grudgingly!) but that poor Raith defence should have been tested more often. All to play for on Saturday. 

If Coupe doesn't start then i will not be renewing my season ticket next season in the Championship...

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not going to the biggest game of the season for the team you claim to support because you’re watching a game on the tele. Tell your pal he’s a VL.

He’s more into the Flyers than the Rovers. Last game he was at was Pars in the cup. Thought he might go tonight, but he’s waiting to see if we make the play-off final. He’s got two kids and been married twice, so not quite the VL.

Out the regulars of our group most were working.

Edited by Scary Bear

You realise this is Div1 not Liverpool v Barca. I thought it was an entertaining 90 mins if niggly at times.
You're easily pleased then. Maybe it was different from a Forfar viewpoint but from my perspective as a Rovers fan I found that a hard watch.

I should also add that I was delighted with the level of fight in the team tonight, much better than in previous weeks. Very keen to accentuate the positives rather than looking at the negatives over the next 1/3 games. I’ve had enough of being negative, it’s gets us nowhere. Let’s get behind the team.