Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

26 minutes ago, Marten said:

It's very unlikely, but the game still has to be played. If the players think "ah well, we're stuffed anyway", then you might as well not show up. They simply have to go for the tiny chance there is left and go all out attack from the start. That will probably result in them getting a 2nd stuffing by Cove and there is no way I can see Berwick saving themselves, but they must at least try...

No one's saying they shouldn't try.

Cove did concede 4 goals once this season, 2-4 against Formartine in the Aberdeenshire Shield back in November. So...y'know...

What was my point again?

Edited by EdTheDuck
can't spell Cove

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Berwick have to score 4, without reply, to take the game to penalties. Why does anyone think that's in any way likely? 

Saying 'if they go all out attack' is complete nonsense and laughably simplistic. So what if they did? It's no guarantee they'd get any goals and doing so would leave them exposed at the back. What if Cove went 'all out attack'? Presumably they'd win 5 nil?

Cove are more than a one man team, so even if Megginson is out it won't matter.

Folk are having a laugh or are at the wind up if they think Berwick will do it. I doubt they'll even come close to doing it. Saying 'they have a chance' is meaningless; Berwick had a chance to win League 2 but didn't, and they won't escape relegation.

Cove have one good player, the rest are journeymen. The problem for Berwick is that Cove’s journeymen are better than theirs and their keeper doesn’t inspire much confidence.  

So you think Berwick should play for a draw??? For goodness sake.

Occasions on which Cove have conceded four or more in the past however many seasons...

2018-11-07 - Cove Rangers 2-4 Formartine United (Shire Shield; AET; 2-2 after 90 mimutes)
2016-08-16 - Brechin City 4-1 Cove Rangers (Irn-Bru Cup)
2016-07-30 - Ross County 7-0 Cove Rangers (League Cup group stage)
2016-07-19 - Alloa Athletic 4-0 Cove Rangers (League Cup group stage)
2016-01-09 - Motherwell 5-0 Cove Rangers (Scottish Cup)
2016-01-03 - Cove Rangers 3-4 Inverurie Loco Works (SHFL; played at Spain Park, Aberdeen)
2015-12-27 - Fraserburgh 4-2 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-10-11 - Inverurie Loco Works 4-5 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-08-06 - Cove Rangers 3-4 Turriff United (SHFL)
2014-04-09 - Keith 4-1 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-03-19 - Fraserburgh 5-1 Cove Rangers (SHFL)

So it's not unpossible. If Berwick can get tore into them early on, they might lose the head. The game at the top of the list above saw them finish with nine men. However, based on Berwick's shift on Saturday I doubt they've the capabilities to get tore into a fish supper, so it's all immaterial. 

26 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Cove have one good player, the rest are journeymen. The problem for Berwick is that Cove’s journeymen are better than theirs and their keeper doesn’t inspire much confidence.  

So you think Berwick should play for a draw??? For goodness sake.

Where did I say that? Point out a single post where I've said Berwick should play for a draw, or that they shouldn't bother.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Occasions on which Cove have conceded four or more in the past however many seasons...

2018-11-07 - Cove Rangers 2-4 Formartine United (Shire Shield; AET; 2-2 after 90 mimutes)
2016-08-16 - Brechin City 4-1 Cove Rangers (Irn-Bru Cup)
2016-07-30 - Ross County 7-0 Cove Rangers (League Cup group stage)
2016-07-19 - Alloa Athletic 4-0 Cove Rangers (League Cup group stage)
2016-01-09 - Motherwell 5-0 Cove Rangers (Scottish Cup)
2016-01-03 - Cove Rangers 3-4 Inverurie Loco Works (SHFL; played at Spain Park, Aberdeen)
2015-12-27 - Fraserburgh 4-2 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-10-11 - Inverurie Loco Works 4-5 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-08-06 - Cove Rangers 3-4 Turriff United (SHFL)
2014-04-09 - Keith 4-1 Cove Rangers (SHFL)
2014-03-19 - Fraserburgh 5-1 Cove Rangers (SHFL)

So it's not unpossible. If Berwick can get tore into them early on, they might lose the head. The game at the top of the list above saw them finish with nine men. However, based on Berwick's shift on Saturday I doubt they've the capabilities to get tore into a fish supper, so it's all immaterial. 

And yet only 2 such scorelines would see Berwick through, with all the rest seeing Cove through, save two which would take the game to extra time.

Does anyone seriously believe Berwick will score a minimum of 4 without reply?

The noises come out of cove, with or without megginson, is that they're not going to sit back and contain ..best price cove for the 2nd leg was evens, best now is 10/11 so either the money is coming or the bookies also watched the highlights...i think majority if not all of BRFC fans have accepted their fate, it's mostly cowden who are hoping for a turnround..

The noises come out of cove, with or without megginson, is that they're not going to sit back and contain ..best price cove for the 2nd leg was evens, best now is 10/11 so either the money is coming or the bookies also watched the highlights...i think majority if not all of BRFC fans have accepted their fate, it's mostly cowden who are hoping for a turnround..

It doesn’t matter what anyone hopes for. The tie is done. Cove just need to sit in, catch on the break and they will prevail.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Exceptionally unlikely. Not impossible, but neither is winning the lottery. If they go all out attack they could be picked off on the counter with ease and get another hiding.

True, but Berwick have no option now.

They tried to be more cautious in the first leg (or, were just too poor) and it failed miserably. People can look at other games over recent years and say it is not going to happen because they did not put in a performance in that time which would have reversed a 4-0 deficit. However, those matches do not compare to what is at stake now. If they don't go full on attack from the start, then they may as well not turn up. It might go pear shaped again, but that's the risk they have to take. For that reason I believe they can do it. Their players need to play as if their own life depends on the result.

3 minutes ago, PELE said:

True, but Berwick have no option now.

They tried to be more cautious in the first leg (or, were just too poor) and it failed miserably. People can look at other games over recent years and say it is not going to happen because they did not put in a performance in that time which would have reversed a 4-0 deficit. However, those matches do not compare to what is at stake now. If they don't go full on attack from the start, then they may as well not turn up. It might go pear shaped again, but that's the risk they have to take. For that reason I believe they can do it. Their players need to play as if their own life depends on the result.

Cove have loads at stake as well though. Just because Berwick decide to go all out attack doesn't mean they'll win the game. They might, but they certainly won't win the tie.

Genuinely can't believe that anyone thinks Berwick will stay up.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Cove have loads at stake as well though. Just because Berwick decide to go all out attack doesn't mean they'll win the game. They might, but they certainly won't win the tie.

It’s not what we, the “experts” think. Anyone who suggests giving it a go isn’t a simpleton.

Berwick have nothing to lose now. They HAVE to and least try otherwise there is no point in turning up.

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

It’s not what we, the “experts” think. Anyone who suggests giving it a go isn’t a simpleton.

Berwick have nothing to lose now. They HAVE to and least try otherwise there is no point in turning up.

Yes. Who is saying otherwise?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Of course, it might go disastrously wrong for Berwick. However, they can still turn it around. It's 4 goals, not 7 or 8.

Liverpool turned over Barcelona and you could say Berwick are no Liverpool, but equally Cove are no Barcelona.

They probably aren't going to succeed, but I definitely think they can. 

21 minutes ago, PELE said:

Of course, it might go disastrously wrong for Berwick. However, they can still turn it around. It's 4 goals, not 7 or 8.

Liverpool turned over Barcelona and you could say Berwick are no Liverpool, but equally Cove are no Barcelona.

They probably aren't going to succeed, but I definitely think they can. 

Actually it's 5 goals. 4, without reply, will only get them to extra time and penalties at best.

The Liverpool/Barcelona stuff is an irrelevance here, as that was two great teams, in form, who had won loads of goals over the season and who had scored loads of goals over the season. There's only one team in this tie who have won loads of games and scored loads of goals over the season. Also Liverpool played pretty well in the first game and were unfortunate to be 3 nil down. Berwick are fortunate to only be 4 down by all accounts.

They absolutely won't do it. I doubt they'll even win the game let alone the tie.