Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

Given that the Dons are continuing our irresistible march to the League Cup group stages on Friday night v Hearts, I'll probably head up to this one. The park is tucked into an industrial estate with only a pishy family restaurant for pints within walking distance but ach well, at least it's actually in Aberdeen.

I was not impressed by Berwick today who were comfortably beaten by a very ordinary Elgin side. Berwick put plenty effort in and are quite physical but  have no penetration at all. One never knows but if Cove cannot beat them over two legs it will be a poor reflection on the lower leagues.

The match preview is up, thank you for bearing with me - it's quite a bit longer than I initially planned and expected, but then there is a lot to talk about and I imagine not everyone interested in this play-off will know the ins and outs of both teams and their seasons. Please consider giving me a greenie for it so I can take at least something from this wretched season.

If Berwick took action RE: Harvey sooner (ie. at least a week) then I'd be a lot more optimistic about an outcome other than my beloveds being blasted over two legs, but a week and a half to turn around the fortunes of a woeful team - never mind a part-time one - is an exceptionally short period of time. If the rumours of new investment are true, though, and Brownlie and Little are in any way useful as a management team, then perhaps a parachute payment-assisted Lowland League assault might just be a possibility next season. 

6 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Conversely, League 2 strugglers of old East Stirlingshire are into their second season in the Lowland League, with a crowd of a 100 odd fans having witnessed midtable mediocrity this season.

Their third, having finished 2nd, 4th, and now 6th; 184 was their attendance this season.

That Blair Yule a cracking player by the way. Have Cove not still got Paul McManus? Sure they have Scott McBride too?

This tie will be over after the first leg

McManus is there and still features on rotation from the bench.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That Blair Yule a cracking player by the way. Have Cove not still got Paul McManus? Sure they have Scott McBride too?

This tie will be over after the first leg

Scott McBride's at Kelty.

Although I think the pyramid is a good thing, I've always found myself siding with the league side in these situations. I think it's the realisation of how horrible a situation it is and the liklihood that it'll be us one day. I'd also rather go to Berwick away than Cove away. 

Scott McBride's at Kelty.

Cove were looking at him. Knew a few boys that had been involved with Cove and they were asked about how he got on at us, he had one good season with us at left back but his problem was he is the slowest winger on the planet. Good left peg though.

Might've made a journey up the A90 to watch the game at Cove but it'll be a non contest, possibly going to Forfar v Raith sounds more tempting