Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

4 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Pot calling the kettle black, don't know if you have been there yet or just looked at the highlights, the pellets are quite noticeable but presume this will settle in time & the ball seems to roll across the surface ok unlike certain parks presently in use in League 2. For a potential league ground Coves seems to fit the bill for them at this time its maybe just a bit new & shiny for those more used to a demolition site in the waiting. Someone moaned about the amount of advertising boards around their ground but this should be seen as good commercial sense which some could learn from.

Aye, the same Cowdenbeath fan who slaughtered K Park without a hint of irony when you consider what a sh*thole Central Park is.

51 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

As for what L2 fans can expect, I thought it was a decent little day. It's a bit 'plastic' - goals that were winning them promotion to league football seemed under-celebrated etc, but the folk were sound to speak to. Stonehaven was a great stop en-route and the bar at the ground decent enough too. Perhaps it's just because it's 'something new' but it wasn't as bad as folk made out, and I can only imagine it's shite if you don't take a decent group up - then again, the bus probably helped. We won't miss out though, there'll be plenty of chances for us to see something new next season. 

I'd agree with that, I didn't find it nearly as bad as people said on here. Decent ground, nice bar, the people at Cove I spoke to were friendly enough. It will be interesting to see how they'll cope with the chance, as they won't be a big fish in a small pond anymore.  However, they are clearly ready for the step up and the club will undoubtedly evolve further in the next few years.

Shame to see Berwick go, but that's football. Commiserations & good luck for the future. The LL shouldn't be a death sentence and with ex-juniors coming up it will get better in the next few years as well.

47 minutes ago, Toby said:

Aye, the same Cowdenbeath fan who slaughtered K Park without a hint of irony when you consider what a sh*thole Central Park is.

Not like the shining example of modern football stadia at cappielow ?

at least at Cowden,  it is unlikely that your car will get screwed and you will get stabbed.

Why are folk on here going on like this is Berwick going to be liquidated?  They're literally a league away from the SPFL next season.  You'd think they were getting punted to some 10th tier bush league played on public parks with dugshite everywhere that doubles up as a cricket pitch.

Loss of prize money.
Loss of entry into league cup.
Enter Scottish Cup earlier.
Lack of support in LL. Only Kelty average over 200 with 6 or 7 clubs less than 100.
Loss in match day income between lack of away support and reduced prices. The average is about £8.

The LL will become a stronger league once more of the East and hopefully West juniors join. For teams dropping into it just now its a huge difference from SPFL2.

"You're just a shit Fort William" at 6:03 in the highlights.

16 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Enter Scottish Cup earlier.
Lack of support in LL. Only Kelty average over 200 with 6 or 7 clubs less than 100.

EK are also over 200, Spartans and East Stirlingshire just below. Whichever EoS club wins next season will have over 200 as well.

With no Angus in League 2 there was no chance to watch Berwick live this season, however going by the Cove highlights they really are far more atrocious than I could have imagined.

Going by those highlights that really should have been going on double digits which is a scary thought.   Depending on how Cove approach what is a meaningless second leg then the aggregate score could get very unpleasant indeed.

I feel for the Berwick fans who made the long trip north to witness that abysmal display.   Those in charge at Berwick both at boardroom and dugout level have a lot to answer for over how they have ruined that unfortunate club. 

I really hope Brennan is fully fit for the return leg (he looked like he was still protecting his ankle  in the warm-up). We said on Saturday that Goodfellow should've stopped two or three of the goals. Having watched the horrorlights, I reckon he could've prevented all four! He doesn't command his box enough, and seems reluctant to get in among it: there were at least two or three occasions where he should've clattered through people and punched the ball away. In addition, he lets the ball bounce straight back off him too many times, rather than pushing it away from the danger area. I still can't believe JH brought in Cowden's third choice keeper and made him our first choice. :(

7 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

I really hope Brennan is fully fit for the return leg (he looked like he was still protecting his ankle  in the warm-up). We said on Saturday that Goodfellow should've stopped two or three of the goals. Having watched the horrorlights, I reckon he could've prevented all four! He doesn't command his box enough, and seems reluctant to get in among it: there were at least two or three occasions where he should've clattered through people and punched the ball away. In addition, he lets the ball bounce straight back off him too many times, rather than pushing it away from the danger area. I still can't believe JH brought in Cowden's third choice keeper and made him our first choice. :(

We couldn’t let him start another game. 

1 hour ago, edthebaw said:

They highlights were horrendous for Berwick fans, that really could’ve been 8,9, or 10 nil , Goalie only player to get pass marks , just !!!

And I can confirm those highlights are a fair reflection of the actual game, the only thing I was wondering myself as I left the ground on Saturday was how Cove didn't score more.

30 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

He stopped it from being even more of a rout!!

I was going to type something negative, but I need to heed my own advice here; the time to point fingers and blame and get angry is on the evening of the 18th.

The slimmest of chances remain - a turnaround of massive proportions that you couldn't ever get me to bet on. Yet, we shall see. I wish the boys, John, and Yano all the best.

I would fancy a result, if only to make sure that Johnny Harvey and his gang of Facebook warriors will hold no illusions of doing a better job had they remained in place.

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Not like the shining example of modern football stadia at cappielow ?

at least at Cowden,  it is unlikely that your car will get screwed and you will get stabbed.

Must be changed days in the kingdom since your fall from the Championship then. Have the young team that hung about outside Central Park and tanned the buses all grown out of that now or are they in Polmont?