Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

12 minutes ago, onecowden said:

You need to cut out the shite m9. You’ll end up getting humiliated. You’re welcome.

I would have thought that was unlikely but I guess Rory McAllister has shown that it is not impossible either.  

I am sure McAllister has turned down a move to higher division full time clubs United and St Mirren spring to mind, given the money he was making in his non football job and Peterhead wages combined was as good or better than what would have been received going to a full time club apparently. 

That Cove team will finish in the promotion play offs I reckon. 

Surely they’ll also strengthen during the summer too? Look I know we are dire but they looked a very decent outfit yesterday. They were head and shoulders above us and looked very composed and I’d argue that they possibly had another gear left. Yes away from home they’ll struggle at times I’m sure if that however I really think that side of yesterday will be no worse than 7th next season and could do very well if the team is strengthened.

The cove team next season will be substantially different from yesterday’s team.

they will also have a seasoned spfl manager in charge so have to be a challenger for the play offs if not the title itself.

still a bunch of arrogant wankers tho.

Guest SJP79
30 minutes ago, onecowden said:

You need to cut out the shite m9. You’ll end up getting humiliated. You’re welcome.

What Shite ? 

I posted that because i found it bizarre that he wouldnt step up when he had the chance. 

On the financial point: compared to rest of LL we'll start with nearly £70,000 in additional central income next season from the parachute payment, League Cup groupstage slot (assuming we finish bottom of the section btw), Challenge Cup slot, and starting in Scottish Cup R2? Could be slightly more as my cup prizemoney figures are a couple of years old.

It is an interesting question - floated above - as to whether that will be spent in an arms race trying to return to SPFL2 ASAP, or used to assist in transitioning to LL.

32 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

The cove team next season will be substantially different from yesterday’s team.

they will also have a seasoned spfl manager in charge so have to be a challenger for the play offs if not the title itself.

still a bunch of arrogant wankers tho.

Will it be? I can’t imagine they will bring in too many players. Megginson, Yule, Strachan, Ross, Masson, Park, Scully, Milne and Brown are all good players that they won’t need to replace. 

Guest SJP79
8 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Megginson is good at a certain level. Premier league level. No way. So shite.

I agree, but financially for him it would surely have been better.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

On the financial point: compared to rest of LL we'll start with nearly £70,000 in additional central income next season from the parachute payment, League Cup groupstage slot (assuming we finish bottom of the section btw), Challenge Cup slot, and starting in Scottish Cup R2? Could be slightly more as my cup prizemoney figures are a couple of years old.

It is an interesting question - floated above - as to whether that will be spent in an arms race trying to return to SPFL2 ASAP, or used to assist in transitioning to LL.

Given the way your season went it looks a complete rebuild required, need a board that supporters can trust & can keep/build on the commercial side of things growing. A manager that knows how to build a team as many of your present team would possibly struggle at LL level or mistakenly think they are better than that & not want to stay. Berwick has the potential to be a decent set up for a league club but then again they have had that for a long time & let it slip through their fingers. Enjoyed visiting Berwick as usually made it in to a overnight stay either in the town or nearby . Who owns the ground the football club or speedway or neither there certainly needs to be a pooling of recourses for the benefit of both. 

If you go with option A and fail to get promoted, to then option B in season 2, or even 3 doesn’t become a transition, it’s a sharp drop.

You’d be wiser to accept LL will be your reality for at least a couple of seasons IMO. Turning this squad into one that can hit the ground running come late July(presuming the start is the same time this year) is a very difficult task. Building on that and being able to win 2 play-offs even if you come top when you haven’t been able to compete with this years HL champions or your fellow League 2 sides will be an incredible achievement and not a realistic aim.

21 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Will it be? I can’t imagine they will bring in too many players. Megginson, Yule, Strachan, Ross, Masson, Park, Scully, Milne and Brown are all good players that they won’t need to replace. 

Most of the above were at spfl clubs and couldn't  get a regular game hence they ended up at cove. 

Jimmy scott walked into the cove team. Don’t think he is good enough having seen him for us.

Paul  Hartley will have a shopping list. Fraser Fyfie already been mentioned for cove.

7 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

Depends if he has another decent proper job. Remember with Rory Mac according to the papers he was being offered about £750 a week full time at St Mirren & when United were involved it was meant to be a one year deal. Having had the sense to serve his time in a job that will keep him in work probably as long as he wants why would he probably lose money have less chance of success simply because folk think you should be playing at a higher level. In this country very few even in the Premier League are on huge money so if a player finds niche that suits him why not make the best of it.

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Depends if he has another decent proper job. Remember with Rory Mac according to the papers he was being offered about £750 a week full time at St Mirren & when United were involved it was meant to be a one year deal. Having had the sense to serve his time in a job that will keep him in work probably as long as he wants why would he probably lose money have less chance of success simply because folk think you should be playing at a higher level. In this country very few even in the Premier League are on huge money so if a player finds niche that suits him why not make the best of it.

Rory was one of the wise ones. A decent job and a part time deal is always going to be better than a full time deal at teams like St Mirren and United. Most players don’t have very long careers anyway.

Good. Scottish football is evolving into a different animal just now and it’s a good thing. More competitiveness and more progressiveness.
Indeed. Celtic going for 20 titles in a row very soon and all Scottish teams crashing out of Europe to teams without a vowel in their name ... ..... but Cove are in. Not really very much change or evidence of evolving into something better. Sorry to be so downbeat.

37 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Who owns the ground the football club or speedway or neither there certainly needs to be a pooling of recourses for the benefit of both. 

The council owns the ground, but the Supporters Club (rather than the football club) hold the lease.

1 minute ago, Alpha Gordini said:

The council owns the ground, but the Supporters Club (rather than the football club) hold the lease.

It would certainly appear there needs to be someone that steps up to the plate that can get all parties to pull together,  it looks as if it would be a big ask as divisions seem to have opened up over a period of time, maybe too many cooks have been the problem.

My understanding is Premier sides did look at Megginson - but his father was a Cove legend and he was a Cove supporter and is happy playing for his local team that wins almost every week. He is on a big wage at Cove