Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

12 minutes ago, PELE said:

If they splash the cash, I am sure they can challenge at the top next season, otherwise I would expect them to be in the top half.

Cowdenbeath finished 6th (4 points off the top half) so I guess the same is true for you if you 'splash the cash'?

Just now, The_Judge said:

Cowdenbeath finished 6th (4 points off the top half) so I guess the same is true for you if you 'splash the cash'?

Of course it is. However, we cannot afford to splash the cash. When we do well, it is usually with someone at the start of their managerial career who makes some shrewd signings.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Of course it is. However, we cannot afford to splash the cash. When we do well, it is usually with someone at the start of their managerial career who makes some shrewd signings.

As it should be but you must've banked a few quid from your 4th round Scottish Cup adventure this season?

The big question will be how the rest of the current L2 teams respond. Shire getting relegated woke a few up but always felt there was an underlying feeling that everyone else was better than losing a play off v a non league team. The arguments have always been made by league two fans that no automatic place should be available because of a few teams inability to win the two legged tie.

The absolute bodying of an established league two team (albeit one that were horrific the last two seasons) by a non league team will have to have a few taking notice and bricking it.

Although the flip side is that Berwick are where they are because they failed to take heed of the shire relegation and allowed themselves to slip closer to the abyss. There was even talk that they looked down their nose at the city board the first time they went to Shielfield as being some upstart non league side that would be back to where they came from soon enough.

1 hour ago, surely not! said:

Cove are clearly a very good non league team and based on yesterday they can perform better than a few of the teams in L2. But in the HL they can cruise through about 75% of the games without really having to break sweat and get to dominate possession in most games- this won’t be the same next year.

League 2 is a grind and now that Berwick are gone there won’t be any obviously cheap three points available. Be interesting to see how they cope with the higher standard week in and week out.

Assuming they get promoted, Cove only need to finish 9th next season and kick on from there.

24 minutes ago, surely not! said:

The big question will be how the rest of the current L2 teams respond. Shire getting relegated woke a few up but always felt there was an underlying feeling that everyone else was better than losing a play off v a non league team. The arguments have always been made by league two fans that no automatic place should be available because of a few teams inability to win the two legged tie.

The absolute bodying of an established league two team (albeit one that were horrific the last two seasons) by a non league team will have to have a few taking notice and bricking it.

Although the flip side is that Berwick are where they are because they failed to take heed of the shire relegation and allowed themselves to slip closer to the abyss. There was even talk that they looked down their nose at the city board the first time they went to Shielfield as being some upstart non league side that would be back to where they came from soon enough.

This Berwick side are by some way the shittest SPFL side since the pyramid play-off was introduced.

I don't think Cove humbling them will suddenly make a handful of clubs think 'well, if they can beat Berwick 18/19, they can beat anybody'.

I think the clubs who've ended up as club 42 generally brick it, rather than have this arrogant attitude towards whoever they end up having to play. All the ties before this year have been relatively close.

44 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:
59 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:
Will Berwick play in England or EOSL. They are an English club and should really join some Northern English league. Back amongst there own people if you will.

I'm no even a Berwick fan and this question is tedious now. They'll be in the Lowland League. They'll be in the EOSL if they finish bottom again in the LL

Why aren't they going to the Highland League? :whistle

6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This Berwick side are by some way the shittest SPFL side since the pyramid play-off was introduced.

And they still managed to beat the eventual league champions to nil only 7 weeks ago.

40 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

As it should be but you must've banked a few quid from your 4th round Scottish Cup adventure this season?

Yeah we did, but you need a lot more than that to fund a serious title challenge.

He's maybe like McAllister at Peterhead got a good "real job" and a decent football wage and better off doing that.
Blair Yule would probably be one of the top players in slfl2. Pretty sure any smokies around would concur he was up there with Bobby Linn as one of there top performers last season.

I don't think Cove humbling them will suddenly make a handful of clubs think 'well, if they can beat Berwick 18/19, they can beat anybody'.
I think the clubs who've ended up as club 42 generally brick it, rather than have this arrogant attitude towards whoever they end up having to play. All the ties before this year have been relatively close.

My main point being that when the play offs actually came in, Berwick were miles away from being this bad but have allowed themselves to fall to a standard that probably would struggle in next seasons EoS premier, never mind the Lowland.

50 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:
1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:
Will Berwick play in England or EOSL. They are an English club and should really join some Northern English league. Back amongst there own people if you will.

I'm no even a Berwick fan and this question is tedious now. They'll be in the Lowland League. They'll be in the EOSL if they finish bottom again in the LL

This is the result of the attitude of the SMSM. Anything that happens below the top rung is completely ignore to the point that, to all intents and purposes, it didn't happen at all! To be sure almost anything that happens outwith you-know-who is paid lip service and invariably invokes speculation about a move to you-know-who if it is a positive/succesfull event.

BBC Friday Night Football coverage of the Championship is a step in the right direction but there is no context. 5 minutes of prelude by Steven Thomson and A N Other really doesn't do it. Neither does a couple of throwaway remarks on Sportscene a couple of times a season. Why can't they do a piece about the clubs involved, their current situation, their chances this season, what they're aiming for, the potential ramifications of defeat etc etc and so on.

The story of Berwick Rangers is worth telling. So is the story of Cove Rangers. And Peterhead and Arbroath and Albion Rovers - fox ache it took Sky fucking Sports to pick up on the revival of Albion Rovers and that should register on the Richter Scale. I haven't even seen any clips of Cove-Berwick yet.

The idea there is no interest in the lower leagues is utter rubbish. There is. And the SMSM could drive that forward by giving it decent coverage. If the coverage was there people would take an interest andbullyweehutch and others wouldn't have to continually explain what is going out there beyond "winning the premiership league".

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The current Cove team strolled the Highland League, but they will need another five or six good players to do anything in league 2. They strolled the HL last season too and came up short in the playoffs.

Their support will surely increase and   could well increase even more when Aberdeen move away from the city. Their future looks secure.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Been asked and answered multiple times on this thread alone.

1 hour ago, SJP79 said:

Megginson was wanted by Premier teams last summer but chose to stay at Cove.

:lol:

38 minutes ago, superbigal said:
1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:
He's maybe like McAllister at Peterhead got a good "real job" and a decent football wage and better off doing that.

Blair Yule would probably be one of the top players in slfl2. Pretty sure any smokies around would concur he was up there with Bobby Linn as one of there top performers last season.

Forgot about him.