Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

28 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Cove are clearly a very good non league team and based on yesterday they can perform better than a few of the teams in L2. But in the HL they can cruise through about 75% of the games without really having to break sweat and get to dominate possession in most games- this won’t be the same next year.

League 2 is a grind and now that Berwick are gone there won’t be any obviously cheap three points available. Be interesting to see how they cope with the higher standard week in and week out.

Agree. Cove won't find it easy in League 2, assuming it doesn't go pear shaped on Saturday, without spending money on better players.

31 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Cove are clearly a very good non league team and based on yesterday they can perform better than a few of the teams in L2. But in the HL they can cruise through about 75% of the games without really having to break sweat and get to dominate possession in most games- this won’t be the same next year.

League 2 is a grind and now that Berwick are gone there won’t be any obviously cheap three points available. Be interesting to see how they cope with the higher standard week in and week out.

Exactly, it's always interesting to see how a team adjusts to a higher league particularly when they haven't been at that level before (or for a considerable period of time).  I enjoyed watching Livingston's attempts in the Premiership and boy did they do well.

1 hour ago, marello said:

fairly sure I'd pick cove to finish higher than elgin next season...HL will be interesting next year, still not convinced brora want promotion but formartine, buckie and locos will all believe they have a chance of not only winning HL but promotion next time round

Maybe the new bypass around Aberdeen will change perceptions a bit at the Aberdeenshire and Banffshire end of things on how bad the travel would be relative to being in the HL.

If Berwick do go down that also takes away one of the three most extreme journeys lower division clubs from the HL catchment are likely to face assuming QoS are usually going to be in a higher division.

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:

All the talk of Cove mounting a play off challenge in league two next season is surely on the proviso that they sign a shit load of players? I had a look at the line up yesterday and, Megginson aside, it didn't scream league two challengers to me. Jordon Brown has scored about twenty goals for them this season for f**k sake! Maybe the Highland League is actually quite poor.

I had a look at Kilmarnock's squad at the start of the season and it didn't scream Top 3 to me.  I had a look at Falkirk's squad at the start of the season and it didn't scream 10th place in The Championshiop to me.   I even had a look at Tottenham's squad at the start of the season and it didn't scream Champions League finalists to me.

Sometimes football can be a funny game and isn't won on paper or via a spreadsheet.

Guest SJP79
Just now, baillieinleeds said:

Will Berwick play in England or EOSL. They are an English club and should really join some Northern English league. Back amongst there own people if you will.

Logistically there better off in Scotland apparently

2 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

No one finds it easy in League 2.

Teams with money behind them generally do. That was my point. The standard is really poor these days. Some teams can do well without spending too much, but it's quite often the bigger spenders who have the success.

12 minutes ago, PELE said:

Agree. Cove won't find it easy in League 2, assuming it doesn't go pear shaped on Saturday, without spending money on better players.

They will probably be a like for like to replace Peterhead. I imagine they will have a few folk from the oil companies behind them. Don't know how they would do in L2 with their current squad quite a few been there with Peterhead so know what its about I suppose and Megginson will still score a few.

Edited by cowdenbeath

2 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

What sort of money do these part time clubs pay ? 

At the top ie Peterhead quite a lot at the bottom ie Berwick buttons. Its however reckoned that since the relegation play offs came in clubs in L2 on average spend £30k or more than they dide before.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

They will probably be a like for like to replace Peterhead. I imagine they will have a few folk from the oil companies behind them. Don't know how they would do in L2 with their current squad quite a few been there with Peterhead so know what its about I suppose and Megginston will still score a few.

If they splash the cash, I am sure they can challenge at the top next season, otherwise I would expect them to be in the top half.

2 hours ago, tescodave said:

Another one not looking at the stark reality of this.

We don’t get out of the LL by year two then the cash in the bank is gone. We’ll have zero to play with. This is a certainty by year 3. The running costs of our ground alone are huge and our costs by then will be far outstripping our income. It is already and that’s with the payments from the league, we’ll have no parachute payment by then.

This is real and too many supporters aren’t realising the position we are now in. Massively behind the 8 ball to attract players that will be able to get us out. Costs that won’t go away and dwindling income from gates, sponsors and league.

It’s not a mix that points to us being healthy unless we get out of the LL fast. Also remember it’s not just a case of winning the league there’s then 4 matches to get past to get back up.

Let’s be honest, the club has survived over the last 20 years by luck, money from plumb cup ties and tv cash allowing it to keep money in the bank. That opportunity of rolling the dice and getting lucky will also disappear too.

It's only OVER if you let it be OVER.  Reduce your costs where possible, work hard at building an a competitive, attractive team with the funds you have.  Enjoy competing in a league where your main aim isn't just avoiding last place.  See some new grounds, meet some new fans and you'll find there is more to life than league 2.  You might still manage to land some cup ties.

1 minute ago, SJP79 said:

Megginson was wanted by Premier teams last summer but chose to stay at Cove.

He's maybe like McAllister at Peterhead got a good "real job" and a decent football wage and better off doing that.

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

At the top ie Peterhead quite a lot at the bottom ie Berwick buttons. Its however reckoned that since the relegation play offs came in clubs in L2 on average spend £30k or more than they dide before.

I still think it cant be much at the top they are part timers. 

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The excuse of our budget this season is a poor one.  Playing squad costing 120K with a management team of 30k.  Above a few others and competitive with most. Money for transfer fees was also made available in Jan. We blew 5k on players from EOS playing two leagues below us. 

The failure to attract experienced  players and not recognising the Harvey term was sliding out of control soon enough has cost us our league status. 

Will Berwick play in England or EOSL. They are an English club and should really join some Northern English league. Back amongst there own people if you will.
I'm no even a Berwick fan and this question is tedious now. They'll be in the Lowland League. They'll be in the EOSL if they finish bottom again in the LL