Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

My joy of seeing Cove going up far exceeds my sorrow for Berwick fans watching their team go down. The days of the glass ceiling are gone and it’s great to see ambitious clubs from the lower leagues make their way into the big leagues. This set up now keeps clubs in League 2 on their toes.

Tatty bye, Berwick

Actually disagree with some of the earlier posts about how well Cove will do next year. I think with a few additions they can do really well and even push for top 4. 
The Cowdenbeaths and the Albion rovers are in real trouble unless they get their acts together, there seems to be some very progressive teams in the lowland and highland league, can only see them following Berwick and east stirling.

Good. Scottish football is evolving into a different animal just now and it’s a good thing. More competitiveness and more progressiveness.

36 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Good. Scottish football is evolving into a different animal just now and it’s a good thing. More competitiveness and more progressiveness.

Sorry for all Berwick fans suffering today and - assuming there's no miracle next week - hope you can regroup, get the right people in the right positions both on and off the field and get yourselves back into the spfl sooner rather than later.

not sure I can agree with jamama tho - I think what we're actually seeing, partic in the Highland League, is a bunch of teams being funded very generously by rich individuals (mostly oil men) whose largesse enables these teams to pay above spfl 2 level wages and in some cases to invest in other areas of the club as well e.g. Stadium and training facilities.

now this is not necessarily a bad thing but it does need to be sustainable otherwise we may end up with a Gretna situation on our hands. Cove should be ok as long as their home games don't clash with the Dons but I do wonder/worry about how long Brora can sustain a team competing at the top of the HL, for instance?  And there are others

4 hours ago, A Believer said:

You're right. It was me. It's my fault. All of it. I have my black and gold sackcloth on, and liberally sprinkled with ashes. I fact, I'm now off to 'have a long hard think about I have probably contributed to what has happened today, and with the others aswell bit I am the obvious one....' I'm running it through my Fergie1 Enigma machine, but when I crack it, I'm all over it.

Now, will you stop peeking over my hedge, you're scaring the cat.

Glad you like to make light heart and a joke of the situation. Speaks volumes of the type of guy you are. In a moment when we are all absolutely gutted, your trying to take the piss as usual. Seriously take a long hard look at yourself and think... I actually backed this shitstorm. 

1 hour ago, Infirmary Street said:

Sorry for all Berwick fans suffering today and - assuming there's no miracle next week - hope you can regroup, get the right people in the right positions both on and off the field and get yourselves back into the spfl sooner rather than later.

not sure I can agree with jamama tho - I think what we're actually seeing, partic in the Highland League, is a bunch of teams being funded very generously by rich individuals (mostly oil men) whose largesse enables these teams to pay above spfl 2 level wages and in some cases to invest in other areas of the club as well e.g. Stadium and training facilities.

now this is not necessarily a bad thing but it does need to be sustainable otherwise we may end up with a Gretna situation on our hands. Cove should be ok as long as their home games don't clash with the Dons but I do wonder/worry about how long Brora can sustain a team competing at the top of the HL, for instance?  And there are others

I know they have been bad in the last 2 seasons, getting relegated to the championship last season and nearly getting relegated to league 1 this season but they are not that shit.

Rumours of Fraser Fyvie going part time with Cove next season. They could be a tasty outfit in L2. Especially if they keep Megginson fit and healthy. 

Glad you like to make light heart and a joke of the situation. Speaks volumes of the type of guy you are. In a moment when we are all absolutely gutted, your trying to take the piss as usual. Seriously take a long hard look at yourself and think... I actually backed this shitstorm. 
Target rich environment Mr 'now we've secured our league status'.

cove evens tae win saturday, given they're a better team and the gloom and doom surrounding berwick, price is very tempting albeit cove probably believe tie is over, another goal would seal it for sure

Speaking as a 40 year gambler. Never bet a team that doesn’t have to win. Over the piece it’s a sure way to lose. I bet Cove -2,-3 yesterday. That’s job done for them. (And me). I’m not saying they can’t win. They’re playing Berwick Rangers who are in the worst state in my lifetime. Even money is terrible value.

Get a grip.
Bad as it's not diving off a cliff . The next day comes and the club goes on albeit at a different level and with different goals. I don't remember 1 Shire fan having this RIP attitude to our misfortune dropping put of the Scottish league 3 seasons ago.
I have huge time and affection for Berwick Rangers, no matters what happens next week the fans have to get behind the club next season. That's what fans are best at are they ? Life doesn't end for the club at the Scottish Leagues.

Another one not looking at the stark reality of this.

We don’t get out of the LL by year two then the cash in the bank is gone. We’ll have zero to play with. This is a certainty by year 3. The running costs of our ground alone are huge and our costs by then will be far outstripping our income. It is already and that’s with the payments from the league, we’ll have no parachute payment by then.

This is real and too many supporters aren’t realising the position we are now in. Massively behind the 8 ball to attract players that will be able to get us out. Costs that won’t go away and dwindling income from gates, sponsors and league.

It’s not a mix that points to us being healthy unless we get out of the LL fast. Also remember it’s not just a case of winning the league there’s then 4 matches to get past to get back up.

Let’s be honest, the club has survived over the last 20 years by luck, money from plumb cup ties and tv cash allowing it to keep money in the bank. That opportunity of rolling the dice and getting lucky will also disappear too.

3 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Was thinking the same myself. The word progressive is being thrown about but the question to be asked are these clubs sustainable who sugar daddied up to the eyeballs. Look at EK where the money to fund them is allegedly qustionable. They may have less support than the likes of Rovers , Cowdens and the Berwicks but financially they will run over the top of these teams in the league.

All the talk of Cove mounting a play off challenge in league two next season is surely on the proviso that they sign a shit load of players? I had a look at the line up yesterday and, Megginson aside, it didn't scream league two challengers to me. Jordon Brown has scored about twenty goals for them this season for f**k sake! Maybe the Highland League is actually quite poor.

fairly sure I'd pick cove to finish higher than elgin next season...HL will be interesting next year, still not convinced brora want promotion but formartine, buckie and locos will all believe they have a chance of not only winning HL but promotion next time round

1 hour ago, tescodave said:

Another one not looking at the stark reality of this.

Sure, but doesn't Dead have more experience of this than most, considering he's an East Stirlingshire supporter, and going into his fourth season in the LL?

All the talk of Cove mounting a play off challenge in league two next season is surely on the proviso that they sign a shit load of players? I had a look at the line up yesterday and, Megginson aside, it didn't scream league two challengers to me. Jordon Brown has scored about twenty goals for them this season for f**k sake! Maybe the Highland League is actually quite poor.

Cove are clearly a very good non league team and based on yesterday they can perform better than a few of the teams in L2. But in the HL they can cruise through about 75% of the games without really having to break sweat and get to dominate possession in most games- this won’t be the same next year.

League 2 is a grind and now that Berwick are gone there won’t be any obviously cheap three points available. Be interesting to see how they cope with the higher standard week in and week out.

4 minutes ago, surely not! said:

League 2 is a grind and now that Berwick are gone there won’t be any obviously cheap three points available. Be interesting to see how they cope with the higher standard week in and week out.

they wont be able to bully the league management committee or refs like they do in the HFL either

1 hour ago, marello said:

fairly sure I'd pick cove to finish higher than elgin next season...HL will be interesting next year, still not convinced brora want promotion but formartine, buckie and locos will all believe they have a chance of not only winning HL but promotion next time round

the bottling b*****ds of Formartine and Inverurie would need to get over the not inconsiderable hurdle of actually winning a league title for the first time.Formartine have flattered to deceive the entire time they've been in the highland league despite having lots of cash,inverurie have done nothing since shitting the bed on the final day of the 06/07 season,a game I had the pleasure of being at

5 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

I think what we're actually seeing, partic in the Highland League, is a bunch of teams being funded very generously by rich individuals (mostly oil men) whose largesse enables these teams to pay above spfl 2 level wages and in some cases to invest in other areas of the club as well e.g. Stadium and training facilities.

now this is not necessarily a bad thing but it does need to be sustainable otherwise we may end up with a Gretna situation on our hands. 

It doesn't look like what you are describing has had much effect on the league system with, so far, NO highland league teams having made the step up.  Cove are now in a good position to do so but as has been stated on other posts here they're squad is not currently made up of former Premiership or even Championship players.

A few Berwick fans are already predicting armageddon if they don't get promoted quickly.  Are we to assume they will adjust their costs in relation to their new environment OR will they pay unsustainable wages in the hope of getting promoted?  If it's the latter then they're more likely to become the latest 'Gretna'.

Edited by The_Judge