Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

1 hour ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Any way of finding out what the average attendance was for RC  for their last 30 years in the HFL, as I dont remember them being particularly well supported .

I didnt miss a PFC match , home or away for about 20 years, and RC never seemed to have anything more than 200-300 at Victoria Park for a league game.

They weren't a particularly successful outfit in the HFL until very late on. One league win until the 90's, and possibly a cup or two?

Ross County were up-and-down over their history but yeah, there was at least one year in the 80s when they finished bottom, and a few years they were behind Fort William. But they had a few decent Scottish Cup scalps and drew big crowds for higher-profile matches. Their record crowd is 8,000 for a last 16 Scottish Cup tie v Rangers in 1966, very long time ago obviously.

I was at Cove-Hearts in the League Cup at the start of this season, one of Cove's biggest-ever matches, and there's no way there was more than 300 home fans.

FWIW I'm not indulging in crowdwanking or anything, I'm just doubtful about Cove's ability to grow much beyond where they are.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ross County were up-and-down over their history but yeah, there was at least one year in the 80s when they finished bottom, and a few years they were behind Fort William. But they had a few decent Scottish Cup scalps and drew big crowds for higher-profile matches. Their record crowd is 8,000 for a last 16 Scottish Cup tie v Rangers in 1966, very long time ago obviously.

I was at Cove-Hearts in the League Cup at the start of this season, one of Cove's biggest-ever matches, and there's no way there was more than 300 home fans.

FWIW I'm not indulging in crowdwanking or anything, I'm just doubtful about Cove's ability to grow much beyond where they are.

I'd agree with County having a core crowd of 250ish back in the day, but we were always a club that would pull in fans for the big games. There's a cracking video on YouTube of the 11-0 cup humping of St Cuthbert Wanderers in the year before we moved to the SFL.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I wasnt having a go, it was simply they were never a big factor in the highland league .

Cove, unlike County ....who have a big catchment area....wont grow too much.

A knockabout group stage game v Hearts is not one of Cove’s biggest ever games. As a stand-alone tie on a Saturday in the Scottish Cup it might have been.

Today’s crowd is 1,955.

You'd think Cove would be more similar to Edinburgh City.

I think it's a bit fanciful to imagine these sides can attract lots of supporters, go full time etc. But as smaller part time sides in bigger cities, they can use that to their advantage. Edinburgh, possibly more so than Cove, but they'll have a big population to pull from in terms of part-time players.