Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

The majority of them were, and their chairman/owner said they didn’t want to go up.

But aye, they definitely wanted to go up.
Spill the beans then Einstein, which player's were on holiday who would have been in the starting 11?They beat us 1-0 the first leg if they didn't want to go up why did they win that game?

2 hours ago, Dumb yatt said:

In the LL v HL were EK not overwhelming favs, or was that fanatical EK supporters.

Anything can happen. Hope it's still alive after 90mins.

It was fans of all LL clubs.  Both I and Tarmo Kink warned them having having seem both of them v ICT this season (Cove in the LC group stage, so basically pre-season and EK when they were apparently 'flying' after the Christmas in the SC') Cove would be heavy favourites, and so it proved.

Ross Tokely missed the game as he was working in Angola. Grant Munro played the final game, but missed the two prior play-off games, and stated he would leave Brora if they went up.

Craig McKeown, Gavin Morrison and Scott Houston all went on holiday and missed the game.

Scott Graham, James Mackay and Colin Williamson also missed the game.

So that’s 7 (that I can remember) that missed the final game, and one who played but publicly stated he would leave if they were promoted.
Ross Tokely played 40 times for Brora in 5 years he was injured completely goosed!!!And his work calling him in to do his job has nothing to do with the game or brora not wanting to go up, it will be his work rota obviously and he would have to go in work or face the sack for not turning up.
Craig Mckeown was injured ....shock horror he fucked his knee and never played till last year am sure so that's also nonsense.Grant Munro your point is?Played both home and away against Montrose.And the rest not a clue who they are so can't be that good and if they had already booked a holiday so be it.

48 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Ross Tokely missed the game as he was working in Angola. Grant Munro played the final game, but missed the two prior play-off games, and stated he would leave Brora if they went up.

Craig McKeown, Gavin Morrison and Scott Houston all went on holiday and missed the game.

Scott Graham, James Mackay and Colin Williamson also missed the game.

So that’s 7 (that I can remember) that missed the final game, and one who played but publicly stated he would leave if they were promoted.

First leg teams:

Brora Rangers (1) 1

Brora: Malin, Houston, Macdonald, McKeown, Munro, Morrison, M Maclean, Gillespie, Sutherland, Mackay, Richardson

Montrose (0) 0

Second leg teams:

Montrose (1) 3

Brora (0) 1

Brora: Malin, Macdonald, Greig, Maclean, Gillespie, Munro, Richardson, Maclean, Mackay, Kettlewell, Sutherland.

The team that beat us up there was as close as possible to their first team. The boy Houston went on holiday for the second leg, one other did which he got pelters for online. Brora had so many players going on holiday, staying in to work on the garden, going shopping with the Mrs, that a massive two changes were made to the second leg team.

Craig McKeown was such an important player for Brora that season that he spent a whole year at Dudgeon Park in between two very long spells at Formartine. Morrison back then wasn't quite the regular he is now.

That Munro wanted to leave in the event of promotion, and not play league football, is neither here nor there. Are you seriously suggesting he didn't try in these games because of that? Footballers find themselves in that situation quite a bit, leaving either because the legs don't have it anymore (certainly true for Munro in the second half at Links Park), or, in other cases, wanting to keep playing part time when their team gets promoted to a full time league. Hardly uncommon.

Brora lost that day because Mackay got himself sent off for an absolutely ridiculous tackle early in the second half, and their ten men ran out of puff; Garry Wood also scored the worldly of wordlies that day to wrap up the tie when most of us had expected extra time following Marvin Andrews' header. The idea that Brora's players and fans weren't wanting promotion is laughable, whatever petulant statements "Ben" made two months before the game itself.

Sorry to readers expecting analysis of tomorrow's game for the derail. Enough of your nonsense.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

2 hours ago, mo83 said:
5 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The majority of them were, and their chairman/owner said they didn’t want to go up.

But aye, they definitely wanted to go up.

Spill the beans then Einstein, which player's were on holiday who would have been in the starting 11?They beat us 1-0 the first leg if they didn't want to go up why did they win that game?

I don't subscribe to the view Brora threw it - they were winning with 15mins left! - but several players did miss parts of the playoffs.

Famously one of their experienced CBs was at his mothers birthday party instead, IIRC.

EDIT: To be precise Grant Munro missed the Edinburgh City 2nd leg for his parents ruby wedding anniversary :lol:. Zander Sutherland was at a stag party in Hamburg.

For the Montrose 2nd leg Craig McKeown was on holiday, Scott Houston was at a friend's wedding, and Scott Graham emigrated to Australia the week before. Ross Tokely had been called-away to Angola.

Edited by HibeeJibee

The facts are 7 Brora players missed the final match, and several others missed prior play-offs games. Their owner and at least one player stated they did not want to go up.

My entire family isn’t far from Brora, and the fanbase/players were pretty much split on whether they wanted to go up.

The Montrose (and other League Two diddies) fans obviously aren’t going to be convinced, so they can hold on to the belief that Brora really really wanted to go up, but deep down, they and everybody else know the truth.

If they didn't want to go up then why were they only 13 mins away from winning the play off?

If they all wanted to piss off on holiday then why did they beat Edinburgh in the semi final thereby causing another 2 games against Montrose?

I'm not sure why we are even discussing this, bit pointless and everything's been said a fair few times over previously. Brora lost, for whatever reason, Montrose stayed up and are now a shining example of what Berwick Rangers should aspire to.

Getting back to the thread...

I really hope we can pull this off. If we can come away from tomorrow with at least a draw, and no injuries to worry about, I'll be very happy.

As well as all the players, I hope *all* the BRFC directors will show up, for once. If ever there was a time we all need to pull together, this is it.

Not sure if serious

More games played = more money for Brora

Pretty simple
More money!!Come on now your having a laugh,Brora to Edinburgh ,crowd off about 500 theirs no money to be made their.

Anyway good luck to both team's....Mon the Rangers

Will be accommodating plenty of bell-ends if Berwick take any sort of a support tomorrow (however unlikely that is). Get doon.
Thank you for another of your widely anticipated pearls Mr Wee; and, as one of these welcome quirks of coincidence, that's just a perfect description of what you talk. I most reverently hope your next sh!t's a hedgehog. Mr Pride of the Clyde however is a credit to your club and society, which IMHO, you are not. You dick.

Always had a soft spot for Berwick since I had a holiday down there many moons ago.  Great away day, and great fans who have really been through the mill.  Hope you guys pull this off.  Great club with a great history.  The SPFL would be poorer without you guys.  So pull this off and have a fresh start in the league next season.  You can do it!

No disrespect to Cove but I’m rooting for Berwick here. Difficult to predict how it might go. I worried for Cowdenbeath when they were in the same position as Berwick but they managed to do it so it can be done. Good luck. 

I've been sitting awhile by the fire this evening, leafing through the club centenary history - which I confess hasn't been off the shelf for some time. Its author Tony Langmack died in February.

This week will rank with the defining days of 140yrs. Founding fathers. Joining the Border and EOS leagues; Scottish Cup; entering SFL. Building the ground with the sweat and toil of the fans - carting up turf from Goswick, bringing a stand by train. Fighting off Rangers attempt to expel us. League Cup SF in 1964. Of course 1967 - always 1967. Dave Smith and glory. Ian Cashmore.

It stops in 1981. Since then there's been highs and lows: reviving under Jeffries, the trials of the late 1980s, almost going bust in the early 1990s. Those cup-ties with Hearts and Rangers. Paul Smith and gunning for promotion to the First Division. 'That Diack Goal'; going down again. All are the mists of the past. All the present can try to do is emulate the passion, the pride... and the performances.

'Mon the Gers.

'Mon the Dream Team.