Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

9 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I've lived up in Aberdeen since 2007 and have been waiting rather impatiently for a cup draw against The Dons up here for a home game.  Now I'm less than a fortnight away from 2 games in the city and I'm going along to the match this weekend.

I'll be in the away end though as there's not a chance in hell that I'd ever support Cove. The worst losers Central Park has ever seen and a club that no Highland league sides want in their league and no League 2 sides want in theirs.  A ground in an awkward place in the city with no pubs nearby. 

Cove will win though and thoroughly deserve their place in League 2 unless Berwick seriously up their game.  

Sorry ma man but there's 2 boozers both a 10 min walk from the Balmoral.

Excuse my ignorance just on google maps how do you get to ground is it through industrial estate or up redmoss road just trying to get a handle on where I can book a taxi from after the game

9 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Excuse my ignorance just on google maps how do you get to ground is it through industrial estate or up redmoss road just trying to get a handle on where I can book a taxi from after the game

Aye take a left at the burger king,if your approaching from the south ,drive thru the industrial estate and the Balmoral is at the back end of it.

The boozer across the main road from the burger king in the scheme is half decent.

The Wellington doon the main road from the Balmoral is like a brewer's fare type pub.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

Also worth considering getting the taxi south to Portlethen or Stonehaven (assuming you are heading that direction), to then get the same train but with more time to spare and less traffic to negotiate. This also assumes the train is stopping at either of those stops!

Very good suggestion - a tall order to get back to Aberdeen station for a 1715 train from Wellington Circle.

Very good suggestion - a tall order to get back to Aberdeen station for a 1715 train from Wellington Circle.

Aye train doesn’t stop there unfortunately. I was gonna bail early and get taxi to pick me up somewhere away from ground to avoid match traffic

55 minutes ago, AR851903 said:

Train doesn't stop there so not so good a suggestion.

55 minutes ago, marty_j said:

I’m not parking just trying to get a taxi booked back to station train at 1715 and trying to avoid rush without leaving too early

Redmoss road is a dirt track mate. One way in and out of the ground.

On 06/05/2019 at 10:27, marty_j said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png what utter nonsense. Given residents of Berwick are almost 50:50 split between those who class themselves as “English “ and those that are “Scottish” that is just comical.

Being in a pub with a big St George's flag but near-exclusively EoS accents was an interesting experience the first and last time I went to Shielfield.

If I'm not going back then I'll have a very short trip to Altens instead.  Hopefully the latter for logistical purposes (30+ miles has always been my closest 'home' game, so I'm due some form of luxury), plus it'll hopefully make the HL a bit more competitive (assuming Brora don't run away with it).

7 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Totally disagree with this. If you finish bottom of the league in a pyramid system, you deserve to go down. If you finish top, you deserve to go up. In this case there are two regional leagues so the winners have to play off. If League 2 was a bigger league they’d ideally both go up automatically but right now that’s the best thing to do. The fact the winner of the Highland/Lowland play-off then has to play the bottom side of League 2 is pretty stupid though. A great/shite season can all be undone by a bad day, or a shite refereeing performance.

It's played over two legs. If a side cannot beat the worst performing team, over two legs, then how can they justify a place in that league? Cove will probably do it, but if they don't it won't be down to a bad day, or a dodgy decision, but because they're not good enough. 

6 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

It's played over two legs. If a side cannot beat the worst performing team, over two legs, then how can they justify a place in that league? Cove will probably do it, but if they don't it won't be down to a bad day, or a dodgy decision, but because they're not good enough. 

Better not let the Uber Pyramid Supporters in the lower leagues see this. Trying to sell a pyramid is hard enough without the thought of one team ever making it up once every 5 or 10 years.

The pyramid is a shambles. Bonnyrigg looking like getting denied promotion as they moved the licensing goalposts. People think that SPFL teams should get automatically relegated into a league with those kind of barriers to entry as well! Maxwell not fit for purpose. 

Edited by Muzza81

6 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

No, that’s ridiculous. You should be promoted/relegated based on a 9-month season. You shouldn’t have to win your league, and then play the worst team from the league above to get promoted. Anybody supporting that is quite frankly bizarre IMO.

As much as it pains me to say this, I am inclined to agree. This coming from a country where the second tier even is a closed-up shop (due to ridiculous licensing standard, gee, where have we heard that before?).

As an addendum, however, I would suggest the HL and LL champions have a play-off for a direct promotion spot, with the loser playing the 9th team from League 2 as a second chance - this due to a ten team league being a wee bit small for two direct relegation spots.

7 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

No, that’s ridiculous. You should be promoted/relegated based on a 9-month season. You shouldn’t have to win your league, and then play the worst team from the league above to get promoted. Anybody supporting that is quite frankly bizarre IMO.

The SPFL wouldn't be financially viable for a lot of Highland League clubs for one. Plus it would appear there's a gulf in class between the SPFL and the lower leagues. 

How long has the system been in operation? Five years? Only once has a side been promoted. That vindicates the current system, IMHO. You have 180 minutes to score one more goal than a side being whooped week in and week out. That's not a tall order for a side good enough to grace the SPFL. 

18 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

The SPFL wouldn't be financially viable for a lot of Highland League clubs for one. Plus it would appear there's a gulf in class between the SPFL and the lower leagues. 

How long has the system been in operation? Five years? Only once has a side been promoted. That vindicates the current system, IMHO. You have 180 minutes to score one more goal than a side being whooped week in and week out. That's not a tall order for a side good enough to grace the SPFL. 

Wouldn’t be any chance of you trying to promote that on some of the lower league forums.

Edited by Glenconner

Ok mate I’ll see if I can get picked up at Burger King maybe at 1650 or get lift bacj

I’ll be driving up, your train leaves Dundee at 18:22 and according to sat nav it’s 66 minutes from ground to Dundee station.
Let me know if you want a lift.