Relegation Play-offs; Cove v. Berwick

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

I have definitely heard/read that. Never been, so cannot comment on its veracity. 

Interesting wee report on the club:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/columnists/mikeamos/backtrack/17613941.borderline-case-the-column-joins-anxious-fans-at-the-north-easts-favourite-scottish-league-club/

Utter drivel on the "neds" stuff. Average age of the fans is 108.

As for the Northern Echo article, Amos seems to have written this before he set off on his expenses paid jolly. 

4 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Utter drivel on the "neds" stuff. Average age of the fans is 108.

As for the Northern Echo article, Amos seems to have written this before he set off on his expenses paid jolly. 

I cannot remember where I read it, but from what I recall it was neds in the town of Berwick, and not supporters of the club. But, as I have already made clear, I can't comment from personal experience. 

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

I have also heard there are neds in Berwick who enjoy attacking "Jocks", as they make their way from the stadium to the station. 

:lol::lol: 

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

I have also heard there are neds in Berwick who enjoy attacking "Jocks", as they make their way from the stadium to the station. 

They're called seagulls and they're after your chips

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

Ahh, but have you ever actually been to Berwick, Northumbria?! I have never seen any trouble in Tijuana, but that's because I have never been there. ;)

Course I have. Been down lots of times at Cowden games. Will go down for the second leg of the play-off and cheer on Berwick if they are not well beaten in the first match.

8 minutes ago, dougster said:

They're called seagulls and they're after your chips

Ach, well never mind. I actually didn't read that, but just fabricated it because I like to tell pointless lies on lower league Scottish message boards. :whistle

Why? Hampden Diehard's made a good case, but why do you want Cove to miss out? 
Personally I like the idea of an SPFL Rangers team from Aberdeen playing in blue. I have also heard there are neds in Berwick who enjoy attacking "Jocks", as they make their way from the stadium to the station. 
However, if Cove cannot beat a side with such a poor record, then they don't deserve to be in the league. 

Being a multi time traveller to berwick by train I can say you heard wrong

1 minute ago, Chris_the_rover said:
6 hours ago, G_&_T said:
Why? Hampden Diehard's made a good case, but why do you want Cove to miss out? 
Personally I like the idea of an SPFL Rangers team from Aberdeen playing in blue. I have also heard there are neds in Berwick who enjoy attacking "Jocks", as they make their way from the stadium to the station. 
However, if Cove cannot beat a side with such a poor record, then they don't deserve to be in the league. 

Being a multi time traveller to berwick by train I can say you heard wrong

That's certainly the consensus on here. Maybe the author had just had a bad experience, or perhaps he had some gripe against Berwick. 

Still would rather Cove win, but the best team will surely prevail. :)

Berwick was an excellent away day last season but that alone is not a good enough reason to stay in the national leagues tbh. They've brought this mess on through their own stunning incompetence; if they can improve to win the play-off games then that would be a big achievement but it's hard to see a relegation that would be more deserved right now, other than Falkirk's of course.

I cannot remember where I read it, but from what I recall it was neds in the town of Berwick, and not supporters of the club. But, as I have already made clear, I can't comment from personal experience. 

It starts when you roll into the station and see the welcome to hell banner. Ultras everywhere, black and gold scarfs over their faces. If you are unlucky enough to be separated from your own crew then you are as good as dead. Run the gauntlet to the ground, a deadly route where stabbings and buttock slashings happen on a weekly basis. Once inside you are greeted with a cacophony of noise and will be lucky to see the pitch from the smoke of thousands of flares and smoke bombs.

It is hands down the most intimidating away trip I have ever been on and I’m still amazed we managed to stroll the game 3-0 going on 8-0.

2 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

It starts when you roll into the station and see the welcome to hell banner. Ultras everywhere, black and gold scarfs over their faces. If you are unlucky enough to be separated from your own crew then you are as good as dead. Run the gauntlet to the ground, a deadly route where stabbings and buttock slashings happen on a weekly basis. Once inside you are greeted with a cacophony of noise and will be lucky to see the pitch from the smoke of thousands of flares and smoke bombs.

It is hands down the most intimidating away trip I have ever been on and I’m still amazed we managed to stroll the game 3-0 going on 8-0.

There we go...vindicated! :thumsup2

On 5/4/2019 at 19:55, resk said:

Given that the Dons are continuing our irresistible march to the League Cup group stages on Friday night v Hearts, I'll probably head up to this one. The park is tucked into an industrial estate with only a pishy family restaurant for pints within walking distance but ach well, at least it's actually in Aberdeen.

Went to the Cove v Talbot game earlier this season. They have a portacabin with a 'fanzone' outside next to the stand. Sat out in the sun and had a couple of cold tins. May be worth checking if that will be open for this if it a nice day.

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Totally disagree with this. If you finish bottom of the league in a pyramid system, you deserve to go down. If you finish top, you deserve to go up. In this case there are two regional leagues so the winners have to play off. If League 2 was a bigger league they’d ideally both go up automatically but right now that’s the best thing to do. The fact the winner of the Highland/Lowland play-off then has to play the bottom side of League 2 is pretty stupid though. A great/shite season can all be undone by a bad day, or a shite refereeing performance.

Indeed.  Cove have proved over the season  that they deserve to play at the next level above them.  Conversely Berwick deserve to be relegated to the LL.  Any team/player/referee can have a nuke on the day, it's very shite that 9 months of consistency can all be for fuck all because of 1 little mistake from someone.

I've lived up in Aberdeen since 2007 and have been waiting rather impatiently for a cup draw against The Dons up here for a home game.  Now I'm less than a fortnight away from 2 games in the city and I'm going along to the match this weekend.

I'll be in the away end though as there's not a chance in hell that I'd ever support Cove. The worst losers Central Park has ever seen and a club that no Highland league sides want in their league and no League 2 sides want in theirs.  A ground in an awkward place in the city with no pubs nearby. 

Cove will win though and thoroughly deserve their place in League 2 unless Berwick seriously up their game.