Queen's Park V Peterheid

2 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

I think the biggest surprise was how badly Edinburgh City fell away. They looked a decent outfit with a good goalscorer.

Defo. They beat us 4 out of 4 although the two games at Ainsley Park were abetted by curious sending offs against us. But the games at Hampden, especially the first one, they were a slick passing team and lethal finishers. Yet Berwick and Cowdenbeath could match them better.

If they don't get promoted it'll be interesting to see if the men behind it will up their budget again. One of the problems with building a team on money alone is that some bigger shark might easily come along and the mercenaries won't pause to "try something new" for a bigger wad. Without Henderson they're not likely to compete for the title next year. 

34 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Defo. They beat us 4 out of 4 although the two games at Ainsley Park were abetted by curious sending offs against us. But the games at Hampden, especially the first one, they were a slick passing team and lethal finishers. Yet Berwick and Cowdenbeath could match them better.

If they don't get promoted it'll be interesting to see if the men behind it will up their budget again. One of the problems with building a team on money alone is that some bigger shark might easily come along and the mercenaries won't pause to "try something new" for a bigger wad. Without Henderson they're not likely to compete for the title next year. 

Therein lies the problem. PFC have quite a few players on good money, but they're at the end of their careers. Gibson. Stevenson, Dunlop and a few others. 

Can they still perform at the higher level? 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them with League 2 clubs next season. 

It doesn't look like a big step up, but it's very difficult to stay in league one long enough to make an impression.

3 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Therein lies the problem. PFC have quite a few players on good money, but they're at the end of their careers. Gibson. Stevenson, Dunlop and a few others. 

Can they still perform at the higher level? 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them with League 2 clubs next season. 

It doesn't look like a big step up, but it's very difficult to stay in league one long enough to make an impression.

For me, it's time you ditched McAllister. A pale shadow of the player he was. With the money you pay him you could have any part-time player in Scotland. 

Never been a McInally fan. Thought he was a poor manager at Morton and it's a joke that Peterhead were in the bottom league with their resources. Bag him and I believe you could easily challenge for the title next season.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

For me, it's time you ditched McAllister. A pale shadow of the player he was. With the money you pay him you could have any part-time player in Scotland. 

Never been a McInally fan. Thought he was a poor manager at Morton and it's a joke that Peterhead were in the bottom league with their resources. Bag him and I believe you could easily challenge for the title next season.

I think McAllister is waiting for an operation. Hes had back trouble for a while now. I would like to see how he goes after that is done.

The McInally situation has been a bone of contention with much of the support for a couple of seasons now. Most want shot of him.

The perennial question is who replaces him. I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for. And financial resources doesn't guarantee a thing.

7 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Totally get why fans  wouldn’t want to prematurely celebrate, but there weren’t even even any songs of support either. Very bizarre.  Took until the 89th  minute to get any sort of song going. Fair play to the one guy singing ‘a little respect’ and attempting to wake up the support though. Good effort 

While always good to win a title yesterday was a bit of a anti-climax after struggling for a month to get the job done. Hampden is a different beast when filled with 50,000 fans but with around 1000 there its not the same. Think our supporters would have had enjoyed it more if it had been at Balmoor last week or even Elgin the week before. After losing a few late goals to deny us think most folk did not want to let their emotions go until the final whistle yesterday. Nice now being able to sit back & watch other teams supporters bite finger nails for a few weeks in the play-offs

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

While always good to win a title yesterday was a bit of a anti-climax after struggling for a month to get the job done. Hampden is a different beast when filled with 50,000 fans but with around 1000 there its not the same. Think our supporters would have had enjoyed it more if it had been at Balmoor last week or even Elgin the week before. After losing a few late goals to deny us think most folk did not want to let their emotions go until the final whistle yesterday. Nice now being able to sit back & watch other teams supporters bite finger nails for a few weeks in the play-offs

That's almost certainly Peterhead's last visit to the third Hampden. Expect it to be cosier next time we meet at the fourth Hampden.

17 hours ago, peternapper said:

I remember visiting Hampden with cousins of my wife. The old Hampden.

I'm sure it was a new years day game. Ayr were the visitors.

The attendance was somewhere around 500. The suits were in the main stand, and us plebs were straight across from them.

Strange atmosphere. Very strange.

Would be about 30 ish years ago. I forget the result.

35 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

I remember visiting Hampden with cousins of my wife. The old Hampden.

I'm sure it was a new years day game. Ayr were the visitors.

The attendance was somewhere around 500. The suits were in the main stand, and us plebs were straight across from them.

Strange atmosphere. Very strange.

Would be about 30 ish years ago. I forget the result.

The old North Terracing is just before my time. One of my earliest recollections is of being there and playing about with a toy tractor. The atmosphere must have been even more surreal with 500 folk spread about the place. Wish I'd brought my old toy tractor to distract me on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Davie Anderson retired at the weekend. Marko, get down to Ayrshire with a contract and pen.

Simply the best player I've ever seen play for Queen's. Very rare that you get undoubted talent combined with desire just to play football without the need to prove yourself at a higher level. 

The highest compliment you can pay him is that the season we had Rangers in our league paying full-time players and internationalists a small fortune, he was still a class above them.

Is the date of  Queens  moving out been settled. Be interesting to see how they develop once the Hampden tie is cut.  Would imagine if Lesser is developed properly it should suit their needs fine, will they retain their amateur status in the future or go pro.

7 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Is the date of  Queens  moving out been settled. Be interesting to see how they develop once the Hampden tie is cut.  Would imagine if Lesser is developed properly it should suit their needs fine, will they retain their amateur status in the future or go pro.

The answer is blowing in the wind!

Date of departure should be the end of next season but it's not settled yet. The SFA are utter arses, so who knows? I will haunt the p***ks that have kippered us and I've one foot in the grave so that might not be that long away.

Lesser will have to do but we will own it which gives a bit of scope for generating income. Personally, my heart would sink if we went semi-pro.

17 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Date of departure should be the end of next season but it's not settled yet. The SFA are utter arses, so who knows? I will haunt the p***ks that have kippered us and I've one foot in the grave so that might not be that long away.

Lesser will have to do but we will own it which gives a bit of scope for generating income. Personally, my heart would sink if we went semi-pro.

Have there been plans for the development of Lesser, would you be  restricted to the current footprint or could it be expanded a bit if required. What sort of capacity is being thought of. Anyway hope it all works out

I think without the draw of playing at hampden I think you will have to go part time, seriously what is the attraction for playing amatuer at lesser hampden . if you get good load of money then lesser hampden coukd be a cracking wee ground
But I do realise that losing hampden and all the tradition that goes with it is blow
as we well know having moved from shawfiield

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Thanks; current footprint only. It'll be about 2000.

While 2000 would be ok for most games could be a bit tight for some cup games & of course when the Clyde Massive come calling.  Obviously when having the chance to start from scratch with plenty funding available you would hope they get it right first time.

While 2000 would be ok for most games could be a bit tight for some cup games & of course when the Clyde Massive come calling.  Obviously when having the chance to start from scratch with plenty funding available you would hope they get it right first time.
queens park thread if you want to talk about Clyde away support come along to our club thread

mind you peterhead don't have an away support so it's a bit of a moot point