Motherwell vs St Mirren, 3pm, 04/05/19

FT 1-1

Pretty much the same game as last week.

Playing against a team with nothing to play for. We huff and puff and deservedly fall behind.

We then pull a worldly last minute equaliser out our arse. Mullen last week, Magennis this.

I think St Mirren just about deserved a point in the end. It was quite a disappointing game with not many scoring opportunities. In the second half all that seemed to happen was St Mirren taking down Gboly. Two excellent goals and Frear should have done much better near the end.

We were pretty mince. Too defensive and sat off Well in midfield with nothing sticking with the long ball. Wells goal was coming all day long. 

Out of our hands now, so we just have to hope we beat Accies and get a favour. 

In the end a draw was probably the right result. 

A well taken goal from Turnbull put us ahead and I think the wrong decision to hook him for Semple when we did. By the look of his body language as he went off, I think Turnbull thought the same. The equaliser was  very poorly defended by us and well taken by them, but we're in the fortunate position where dropping points doesn't really matter in the bigger picture.

On a side note, if Ariyibi had a bit more physicality about him we would have some player on our hands.

First half was terrible, classic end of season stuff. Fair enough from Motherwell, not from us.

We started the second half a lot better but some of our decision making in the final third was awful - not singling anyone out as they were pretty much all at it. Turning point of the game was when Popescu gifted the ball away and Hladky recovered. After that Motherwell were the better team. Disappointing response from us after they scored - think we had one chance before stoppage time.  Would have chucked Cooke on a lot sooner and gone for it. Went nuts at that Magennis goal but doesn't change that much in the grand scheme of things.

Some interesting refereeing decisions. Lyons (who was awful) could well have been sent off in the first few minutes yet doesn't even get booked. Gary Mac could also have been sent off late on. Meanwhile, Motherwell get away with kicking lumps out of Mullen.

Barring something dramatic happening I think we'll be play-off bound.

Edited by Stu

I would be very disappointed if I was a St Mirren fan after that. I thought with a good travelling support behind them they would absolutely go for it, my god they sat back as though a point would be wonderful even though Hamilton were odds on to get a result against Dundee and that’s probably going to end up costing them?  Poor game in truth where we dominated possession without creating too much. The ref was as useless as they usually are but I actually thought we got a few decisions on our favour with Dunn getting away with at least two rash tackles. I would rather St Mirren stayed up than Hamilton but you just know Accies will end up getting what they need, they always do. However I fancy St Mirren in the play offs.

Pretty much a shrug of a game. Fair fucks to St Mirren for the late equaliser.

Some good bits for us, some less good. Not to sound like a dick but in a very specific sense this was like a training game, we seemed to be focused on trying to play through St Mirren and were taking a touch too many or making the wrong decision in the final third *looks intently at Elliott Frear*.

Tough shift for James Scott, at times he was almost playing as a *ahem* false 9 given how deep he was coming to collect the ball. Pleased to see him getting credited with the assist for the goal. Honestly thought he might have hit that chance he had with the short pass back first time though.

Gboly's a lot of fun when he's in full flow but in honesty I'm just paying my money to see Div Turnbull and Allan Campbell at the moment.

On 4/30/2019 at 19:53, capt_oats said:

Gillespie
Grimshaw Aldred Dunne Tait
Campbell McHugh Turnbull
Cadden Scott Ariyibi

Semple and Livingstone on the bench please.

1-1 IMO.

Called it tbf.

Edited by capt_oats

Oran got it all wrong today, we were truly awful in a game we had to win. First half we just sat back and invited Motherwell on to us

Second half was a slight improvement but it has to be said that we lack some quality in key positions, Kyle Magennis gives us something others just can’t produce, his goal was a thing of beauty. But overall I thought we were very poor today. 

Can’t see us catching Hamilton now, but considering what it was like when Stubbs fucked us over then I would take the play off spot.

We fell to bits when Turnbull went off. Not really going to criticise that since it gave Semple a chance in his more natural role. I think James Scott is still a fair bit away from being good enough at this level. His touch wasn't great and he was pulling out wide far too often for a lone striker. Could have done with Main coming to see out the game.

Really sloppy defending for both goals. Poor defensive headers and covering midfielders. We were the better side but St Mirren were in the game enough to deserve a point especially given the chances we wasted.

We need to go and beat St Johnstone now. See if we can put together an away performance which has been missing.

Thought we were rotten today and extremely lucky to get a point, so disappointing.

Kearney made a complete arse of it. God knows why Jackson was playing on the left wing, and was actually our deepest player quite a few times, and Lyons was playing just off Mullen. Lyons was rotten, don’t think he completed a pass in the second half but he wasn’t hooked. Mullen shouldn’t have gone off for Nazon and Cooke should have been on much earlier.

On the plus side, I thought Stephen McGinn had a much better game today and Magennis showed some quality without much support around him. Muzak was playing very well but I think he shipped the goal with a bad clearance. I hope Flynn is ok because he would be a big loss.

I don't think we intended playing so deep today but some players in midfield were total passengers and let the Well midfield dictate play.  Defence was good. McAllister is nowhere near fit enough and far too greedy. His contribution was minimal. Lyons doesn't even need to wash his shirt as he chased nothing all game - jogged about a wee bit that was it. Flynn and McGinn were carrying the other two and Flynn going off was a big blow. Magennis is still trying to regain match fitness after being out most of the season but salvaged a great equaliser. Felt sorry for Jackson and Mullen as they saw little of the ball. And Danny is a decent player so please Danny stop falling about and complaining - it does you no favours - just get on with it. That being said it was a stonewaller on him in the first half. Draw a fair result and may still be a crucial point for us.

Thought McHugh was very good today. 

Apart from that we were much of a muchness. Scott's definitely not ready to play in the first team and probably bringing Main on for the chaos factor would have seen us hang on.

Elliot Frear's passback was fucking abysmal.

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Thought McHugh was very good today. 

Apart from that we were much of a muchness. Scott's definitely not ready to play in the first team and probably bringing Main on for the chaos factor would have seen us hang on.

Elliot Frear's passback was fucking abysmal.

DITTO on all the above points. 

All for giving youth a chance but felt Scott should have been subbed with 20 mins or so to go. 

Dominated the game without creating much and St Mirren seemed content to let have possession into their half. 

Probably makes no difference to St Mirren but after anger subsided I felt the equaliser was almost just rewards for a very decent away support. Glad they had something to cheer unlike the few hundred Hamilton bring to Fir Park. 

Probably blown 7th with that late goal but we go again next week and we need to stop being so slack and more clinical away in Perth. 

Point apiece a fair enough reflection of the game, we had plenty possession without creating too much in the way of clear cut chances, and Saints were never out of it. 

Poor decision making from Frear has cost us a couple of points in the end, basically a passback to the keeper when he had plenty options inside, then they go up the other end in injury time to snatch the equaliser. Slack defending, but a good hit from the boy. 

No real complaints and 7th still in our own hands. 

1600+ in the away end was a good effort and they were pretty vocal all day. Good luck to them if they end up in the play off, don't mind a wee away day to Paisley at all. 

Is it me or do we conceded quite a lot of goals from long throw ins? I can certainly remember Livi, Aberdeen and Hearts scoring from them against us in the last few years. The only one I remember us scoring was the open the gate goal that had Killie players crying.