Brechin City -vs- Stenhousemuir - The Bout to Knock the Other Guy Out

Just now, Mon_The_Fife said:

I can only imagine your smugness on the telly box on Friday once you guys are discussing the relegation of Falkirk, shame you might not be around to take the ‘Navy Blue pound’ though.

Hard to call which team will win the play-offs though, but I would think a Stenny v Clyde final on recent form.

I haven't been able to fully bathe in Falkirk's relegation just yet; should Stenhousemuir come through the play-off games, I'll be bounding about like a dog with two dicks.

Nice to see Brechin back to their natural level. Since the benefactor left they have struggled I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Lowland league shortly.
Couldn't beat us when we had nine men and now ten men. A pathetic outfit.
I would be since they wouldn't qualify to be in the lowland league through the pyramid system.

I can only imagine your smugness on the telly box on Friday once you guys are discussing the relegation of Falkirk, shame you might not be around to take the ‘Navy Blue pound’ though.

Hard to call which team will win the play-offs though, but I would think a Stenny v Clyde final on recent form.
f**k me I just now realised the possibility of sharing a league with Clyde next season.

Going to have to root for.... Well everyone else in the playoffs, including our angry wee ginger stepbrother Stenny.

Mon Stenny.

14 hours ago, Neilly said:

Nice to see Brechin back to their natural level. Since the benefactor left they have struggled I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Lowland league shortly.

Being north of the Tay, it would be the classier Highland League for us, thank you very much.

17 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
14 hours ago, Neilly said:

I would be since they wouldn't qualify to be in the lowland league through the pyramid system.

This boy knows his onions.

5 hours ago, Christophe said:

Haha pished after what felt like a win! You’ll maybe experience that again someday against the tripe you’ll be amongst next season.

Don't count your chickens.  Clyde are a completely different animal .  Goodwillie scoring goals for fun. 

Probably see you amongst the tripe . ;)

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

f**k me I just now realised the possibility of sharing a league with Clyde next season.

Going to have to root for.... Well everyone else in the playoffs, including our angry wee ginger stepbrother Stenny.

Mon Stenny.

A sad sight seeing you post on this forum m8 but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

:(

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

20 hours ago, Neilly said:

Can guarantee that however bad we get, we'll never reach the lowland league

(Edit) as others have already pointed out. I guess it was a pretty glaring error

Edited by Infirmary Street

7 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That was an absolutely horrendous game of football but weirdly entertaining all the same. I was very impressed with our players' second-half performance and if we can show that application and effort over the play-off contest, we have an excellent chance of staying up. A lot of credit must go to Colin McMenamin too - his substitutions were 100 per spot on for the circumstances and helped us bring the game back under control. Given the chances we passed up at the death, with three good counter attacks all squandered, I'm actually disappointed not to have won the match.

Brechin City were rubbish, again. Other than a Callum Tapping free-kick that forced Graeme Smith into a good save and Andy Jackson's well-taken goal, I don't think they created anything of note. There was the period immediately after Conor McBrearty's red card where we under pressure but, as usual, Brechin did nothing with their advantage and we calmed down and started playing on the counter. I thought Tapping looked good when he was on the ball but they're a poor, poor side. A special mention to Tam Scobbie who really seemed to be riled when someone in the away support called him a "Falkirk reject"; his comeback about using Slimfast was a topper!

Can't really argue with any of this. We got what we deserved, today and across the season as a whole. Scobbie would have done better to concentrate on the game and on improving his rotten final ball as well as maybe looking like he was halfway bothered about the final result - in stoppage time he was strolling around to take a throw from the other side as if he had an hour to kill.  Compare that to Jordan Tapping who was throwing himself at everything - Scobbie looked like a guy who knew the game was likely  up for him as a professional footballer and didn't honestly give a flying one about the fans on the cemetery end who were about to see a second relegation in 12 months. Very disappointing. Smith's United  signings have in general failed - Toshney has been the best for me (injured yesterday) although even he has had a few aberrations. I am assured by others that Scott Robertson has put in good performances but I must have missed those. 

Thomson had a great chance in the first ten mins that if he puts away, maybe makes it a different game. But as someone said earlier, at 1-1, needing to make a breakthrough at all costs, we are reduced to punting long in jacko's direction. For all his strength, he's not going to win too many headers against big CHs. Like for like change in bringing on Euan Smith for Robertson when there was the option of the more creative Sinclair, and Orsi wasn't even on the bench as an option. Surely facing 10 men a better option would have been to go wide, try to stretch and tire them?

Incidentally the red looked soft from where I was?

But as above, generally can't complain. If we consistently fail to beat the next-worst team in the division with at least one extra man, there's only likely to be one outcome. Squad needs completely renewed; whether Smith & co should get the opportunity to do that, I remain to be convinced. We should never have started the season with Darren Dods in charge but in fairness to him, Smith has been little better, arguably worse. And, his teams have been almost as dismal to watch as they slid down the table. His only real possible excuse is injuries to key players, of whom the two Tappings were probably our best players yesterday.

We should be competitive in L2 but we'll need a few more folk to buy season tickets or walk up regularly in order to fund that, and that won't happen if more defensive drudgery is going to be the order of the day. 

And finally.... was nice to see the 1993 promotion winning team enjoying a stroll around the pitch. Let's hope we can be talking about the 2020 team in a similar vein in years to come.

Not sure much more to add.

The game was terrible with us being the slightly worst, no idea what will happen next year. Would keep both Tappings, Hill, Jacko, Spark, O.Neil, Thomson - two or three others up for debate and the rest not too bothered.

After the game all players looked unhappy -  a good thing if not a bit late in the day. I went to speak to Barry, he was not for it, struggled to say hello. Something else was said in other chats that it is not a shoe in he will be about next year. Hopefully a clause in his contract about relegation. Sure we will find out in the fullness of time but he has not changed anything about the team. The 92/93 guys commented it was no great, I let them know we have been watching that for four years.

As for Stenny, see you next year.

10 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Don't count your chickens.  Clyde are a completely different animal .  Goodwillie scoring goals for fun. 

Probably see you amongst the tripe . ;)

John Rankin is/ was a far more influential player for Clyde this season...

John Rankin is/ was a far more influential player for Clyde this season...

Rankin was phenomenal for us this season and will be a key miss in the playoffs but Goodwillie is by far our most influential player. Even on a bad day he tends to get at least an assist. 21 goals and 11 assists this season and it’s only half the story. He does so much more for our team in terms of opening up space, making runs, bringing our midfield into the game etc...

19 hours ago, virginton said:

Good to see these Tory-voting, farmer bumpkins sent spinning down once again. Don’t stop until you’re in the North Caledonian League where you belong.

adb25213-4784-48eb-b967-2fd1ce083ddb.thumb.jpg.49c4415efa5eef3ac33a159c42b8f1e4.jpg

First time down here in 18 years.    Will make a pleasant change I suppose .   Recharge the batteries and hopefully  we will meet up again  in League 2 next season ;)................ that is of course if  the basket case which is Greenock Morton can find a manager stupid enough to believe any of Rae's bullshit. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

On 04/05/2019 at 23:19, Christophe said:

Take the playoff contenders out the equation for now and I make your nearest “derby” next season Albion Rovers. Relevance quest failed, unlucky champ!

Best of luck to Stenny in the playoffs think you will need  it. Annan will be difficult to get past and then  you face the winners of Clyde/Edinburgh City tie. Tough games ahead for the Stenny.