Arbroath vs Dumbarton - Trophy Day

Getting a point against the league Champions after playing with ten men for half-an-hour and moving up to sixth position in the league as a result?

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Two defeats in our last 15 league games now, stretching back to the arrival of Duffy's players in January. That really is outstanding form, and I can't credit him or the team enough for that. Ending the season with two players on 14 goals is not too shabby either.

All the best to the Lichties joining Alloa in flying the part-time flag this season. I hope your poor end of season form doesn't carry into next season, because based on today you'll struggle big time. Dick Campbell will know that though - and I've every confidence he'll know what's required to compete at that level.

Part of me is delighted that, that season is over and done with...and the other part of me wishes it could've gone on for another few months - because we'd have made the playoffs. Always next season though...

Getting a point against the league Champions after playing with ten men for half-an-hour and moving up to sixth position in the league as a result?

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Two defeats in our last 15 league games now, stretching back to the arrival of Duffy's players in January. That really is outstanding form, and I can't credit him or the team enough for that. Ending the season with two players on 14 goals is not too shabby either.

All the best to the Lichties joining Alloa in flying the part-time flag this season. I hope your poor end of season form doesn't carry into next season, because based on today you'll struggle big time. Dick Campbell will know that though - and I've every confidence he'll know what's required to compete at that level.

Part of me is delighted that, that season is over and done with...and the other part of me wishes it could've gone on for another few months - because we'd have made the playoffs. Always next season though...

Nowhere near our strongest team today

I think it was

Gold

Little

Hamilton in a 3

Kader

Whatley

McCord

Swankie

McKenna left wing in a 5

Spence

Donnelly uptop

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nowhere near our strongest team today

I think it was

Gold

Little

Hamilton in a 3

Kader

Whatley

McCord

Swankie

McKenna left wing in a 5

Spence

Donnelly uptop

Even at that - I reckon you guys will need a big clearout of your squad to challenge/stay up. A lot of players who will struggle to make the step up in my opinion. You don't get the same time on the ball in the league above and, with the greatest of respect, Arbroath have won the league this year through a lot of fight, desire and being quite physical at times. In the Championship it's a lot more about footballing ability.

Well done and I hope you guys have a good shot at it because we've been there and it was a brilliant time to be a Dumbarton fan :thumsup2

Edited by squeezeboxson

Even at that - I reckon you guys will need a big clearout of your squad to challenge/stay up. A lot of players who will struggle to make the step up in my opinion. You don't get the same time on the ball in the league above and, with the greatest of respect, Arbroath have won the league this year through a lot of fight, desire and being quite physical at times. In the Championship it's a lot more about footballing ability.
Well done and I hope you guys have a good shot at it because we've been there and it was a brilliant time to be a Dumbarton fan :thumsup2

With respect before then going on to be a cheeky bass

Arbroath were the best part time footballing team I've seen until December, then after we got into that position we done what was needed. Plenty of footballing ability in that team thanks. I remember a few seasons ago Alloa came to us a start of season challenge cup game and turned us over 3-0 at home. Said then it was the best part time team I'd seen, we were better than that

I do agree we will need 4/5 better players with 4/5 going out though and even then it'll be a hard ask fully expect to come back down but looking forward to it all the same Alloa staying up is a boost and another potential part time team in the league might also help

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

With respect before then going on to be a cheeky bass

Arbroath were the best part time footballing team I've seen until December, then after we got into that position we done what was needed. Plenty of footballing ability in that team thanks. I remember a few seasons ago Alloa came to us a start of season challenge cup game and turned us over 3-0 at home. Said then it was the best part time team I'd seen, we were better than that

I do agree we will need 4/5 better players with 4/5 going out though and even then it'll be a hard ask fully expect to come back down but looking forward to it all the same Alloa staying up is a boost and another potential part time team in the league might also help

Got to remember that I'm judging based purely on the meeting between our sides. The first game was pretty even (as was today overall). But I thought we outplayed you in both other games. In the first game in Arbroath you guys done the basics right and put the ball in the net. In the last game at our place you simply didn't turn up.

All the best though!

Got to remember that I'm judging based purely on the meeting between our sides. The first game was pretty even (as was today overall). But I thought we outplayed you in both other games. In the first game in Arbroath you guys done the basics right and put the ball in the net. In the last game at our place you simply didn't turn up.
All the best though!

Not had a good game against you in fairness. Today was pretty awful, the 2-0 a couple of month ago was even worse and the first couple of games were fairly unspectacular but at times in the first 20 games or whatever we were really really good to watch and played some really nice stuff.

The second half of the season in particular after beating Raith we really have put in some dismal performances but got the job done. Overall can't complain don't think it'll ever get as good as what it was up to the new year supporting us. Swotting teams aside scoring goals playing good stuff and being solid at the back in this League. Sheerins team in League 2 played some superb stuff and we scored a shit load of goals but this is a level up against much better opposition. It really has been fantastic and I hope we can be competitive next year

Did the Arbroath fans forget it was trophy day? One chant of championees with 5 minutes to go was all we heard from you all day.

Good day out. That lino obviously hadn't read the script for Beanie to get the winner, let the man score. Genuinely never thought I'd say this but our most important piece of business is getting Calum Gallagher signed up. His improvement this year has been great and it's hard to believe he's still only 24, seems like he's been around for donkeys.

Rumour has it (and I stress rumour) that Duffy told players at training that if they didn't want to be here they didn't need to turn up today, so I assume that's bye bye to Paton, Thomson and Melingui.

To be fair we’ve been celebrating for a month, yesterday was just a collection of the trophy. We have absolutely pished all over this league to the extent that it’s actually felt like a bit of an anti climax. 

There will no clear out, as I’ve said 4 or 5 will go and be replaced, this team has gradually improved every year and we’re looking forward to giving it a shot next year just like Alloa have done. 

Going to be very difficult for the part time teams in league 1 next year as Falkirk are down and I think QOTS will come down also. Great time for us to move in the other direction. 

Rumour has it (and I stress rumour) that Duffy told players at training that if they didn't want to be here they didn't need to turn up today, so I assume that's bye bye to Paton, Thomson and Melingui.

I heard similar.

I'm actually quite surprised at Boris, he always seemed keen to impress and put a lot of effort in. No great loss though.

As for Paton and Thomson, I am less surprised. Two absolute jobbers who looked like they couldn't be arsed 90% of the time. Paton in particular is one of the laziest shitebags I've ever seen in a Sons top. I have to disagree with the folk who say he has talent but his legs have gone, he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he has any talent whatsoever.

Did the Arbroath fans forget it was trophy day? One chant of championees with 5 minutes to go was all we heard from you all day.

Good day out. That lino obviously hadn't read the script for Beanie to get the winner, let the man score. Genuinely never thought I'd say this but our most important piece of business is getting Calum Gallagher signed up. His improvement this year has been great and it's hard to believe he's still only 24, seems like he's been around for donkeys.

Sick fed up of seeing our fans get a slagging here. It's been the most underwhelming couple of months you could have for winning a league due to their being absolutely zero competition for most of it.

It peaked at Raith away which is probably the most I've ever enjoyed an Arbroath game and Brechin was also very enjoyable, but even Brechin was a tad underwhelming, if we didn't win it that day it only meant we won it the next week or week after and it already felt like weeks we'd been waiting in the first place

Dc said similar himself in his interview, sounds a bit big time but unless you've been in the position you'll no understand

And without being a pedant there also just wasn't the one song sing all game lol, I was at the far side in the seats close to the Dumbarton fans and heard more than that. Maybe exaggerating slightly

Paton in particular is one of the laziest shitebags I've ever seen in a Sons top. I have to disagree with the folk who say he has talent but his legs have gone, he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he has any talent whatsoever.

Hard to disagree with that assessment. A player I had high hopes for when we signed him but who has contributed next to nothing. Showed very little ability or desire in the games he played. The latter being the one most disappointing.

After watching some of the championship football this season there is no reason we can't be competitive next season. It will obviously be difficult but we have the nucleus of a good side and with a few additions we can make a good go at it next season. One of the reasons we have built up a good team and team spirit is by keeping our best players and adding a bit here and there. I'm looking forward to the bigger test next season.

As a part time team this is the biggest league title that realistically possible to win and we did it at a canter this season. Some superb football particularly in the first half of the season and getting the job done in the second when we went off the boil a bit. Some great memories that will stay with us for a long time.

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sick fed up of seeing our fans get a slagging here. It's been the most underwhelming couple of months you could have for winning a league due to their being absolutely zero competition for most of it.

It peaked at Raith away which is probably the most I've ever enjoyed an Arbroath game and Brechin was also very enjoyable, but even Brechin was a tad underwhelming, if we didn't win it that day it only meant we won it the next week or week after and it already felt like weeks we'd been waiting in the first place

Dc said similar himself in his interview, sounds a bit big time but unless you've been in the position you'll no understand

And without being a pedant there also just wasn't the one song sing all game lol, I was at the far side in the seats close to the Dumbarton fans and heard more than that. Maybe exaggerating slightly

"We're no celebrating because we won it easy" is a fairly baffling logic, but who am I to say you're wrong. Best of luck to you boys next season.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Assuming that is the case then it says an awful lot about why we were in the position we were for so much of the season. I can't imagine any potential future managers looking at that sort of thing too positively either.

Cheerio lads. 

"We're no celebrating because we won it easy" is a fairly baffling logic, but who am I to say you're wrong. Best of luck to you boys next season.
Believe me we are enjoying it honestly! Just have a look at the twitter page. Town was in party mode.