Arbroath vs Dumbarton - Trophy Day

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Nope, I remember him selling the equaliser after being robbed of possession by the by-line. Gave it a watch back just there on SonsTV too - and he was definitely at left-back :lol:

We missed some amount of chances that day. I had forgotten about the one Beany hit straight at Jamieson from about two yards.

Dom ran Arbroath ragged that day. But overall our finishing was poor (as it has been for large spells this season) and Arbroath' s wasn't. 

Jazza told us that Mango was named on the bench so he could "be an extra pair of eyes" that day.

I was approached that day by another Dumbarton fan asking if I was the guy causing all the trouble on Facebook in the wake of Aitken getting sacked. I knew exactly who he meant but I was on the opposite side of the Aitken fence from him. It did make me laugh a bit about the brass neck of the questioner to just come straight out with it to someone he doesn't know!

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I was approached that day by another Dumbarton fan asking if I was the guy causing all the trouble on Facebook in the wake of Aitken getting sacked. I knew exactly who he meant but I was on the opposite side of the Aitken fence from him. It did make me laugh a bit about the brass neck of the questioner to just come straight out with it to someone he doesn't know!

Aye, we believe you, troublemaker ;)

I seriously hope Arbroath are taking the game itself seriously as befits a professional club. Dick’s interview after the Airdrie game implied that attitudes may not be right since the final placing are settled. But he restated that we are professional (or ‘semi professional’ some circles) so the paying public should demand full effort and focus. Only after 90 minutes can we indulge ourselves. I’d travel up anyway but it would be nice to finish off on a high

Also with a view to the record books/history, hoping we can reach/exceed the 70 point threshold. It’s been a fabulous effort this year but wins have been scarce second half. For comparison checking back to a couple of other promotion years 50 years ago, I was surprised to find we’ve picked up fewer points this time round.

on an interview last weekend, Bobby Linn indicated he could be back playing before the end of the season. If the game/his fitness allows it, even a brief cameo appearance would be fitting.

When Arbroath won promotion last day of the season in 1971-72, Dumbarton were the team that overtook us to claim the title on goal difference (we’d drawn, they won the final games). That, plus unjust outcomes in two playoffs in recent years plus two away defeats this season - surely these are grounds enough to motivate the Lichties for this weekends encounter? Maybe not

2 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

That, plus unjust outcomes in two playoffs in recent years plus two away defeats this season - surely these are grounds enough to motivate the Lichties for this weekends encounter? Maybe not

I'm afraid that there is nothing unjust about being unable to beat Stevie Aitken's Dumbarton in the playoffs. That's just plain embarrassing.

Dick Campbell did a great job to get his troops lifted for this season after what must go down as one of the most mortifying results in the history of Arbroath FC.

I was all for giving a guard of honour on Saturday but the blatant rewriting of history from farflung lichtie has soured my feelings.  Hope Dom Thomas sneaks into the home dressing room and takes a shite in DJ's goalie glove.

I was all for giving a guard of honour on Saturday but the blatant rewriting of history from farflung lichtie has soured my feelings.  Hope Dom Thomas sneaks into the home dressing room and takes a shite in DJ's goalie glove.
...... this would be the first such incident in Tayside football since Ian McCall allegedly keiched in Simon Stainrod's shoe at Dens Park.

Which particular actual fact has offended your delicate sensibilities or is it just the whole futile tone of trying to inject a smidgeon of meaning into a dead rubber (nothing to with unsanitary defecation arrangements proposed) ?

Arbroath have been sleepwalking since they effectively won the league months ago.
Nothing to suggest that they’re going to suddenly switch on and entertain the paying public.
They’re going to get the trophy and then celebrate by getting on the piss and good on them.
The preceding football match is meaningless to them.

Arbroath have been sleepwalking since they effectively won the league months ago.
Nothing to suggest that they’re going to suddenly switch on and entertain the paying public.
They’re going to get the trophy and then celebrate by getting on the piss and good on them.
The preceding football match is meaningless to them.

I’d have liked to have seen the club drop the prices for Saturday, get a few extra body’s in

18 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’d have liked to have seen the club drop the prices for Saturday, get a few extra body’s in

Surely you won't have an issue getting bodies in for presentation day. If fairweather fans don't turn up for that then they'll never turn up.

Surely you won't have an issue getting bodies in for presentation day. If fairweather fans don't turn up for that then they'll never turn up.

IMO our fairweather fans are more likely to turn up for a big game when it is away from home. They all love the day out aspect but getting them down to Gayfield seems to be harder.

IMO our fairweather fans are more likely to turn up for a big game when it is away from home. They all love the day out aspect but getting them down to Gayfield seems to be harder.

80% of the folk at Glebe are people Iv never seen at Gayfield