Arbroath vs Dumbarton - Trophy Day

Final day of the season down at the Stadium of Licht. Hopefully a big crowd to see the champions being presented with the League 1 trophy. Don’t care about the starting XI but I do hope it’s the last time we see the likes of Hill, Denholm and Donnelly.

Final day of the season down at the Stadium of Licht. Hopefully a big crowd to see the champions being presented with the League 1 trophy. Don’t care about the starting XI but I do hope it’s the last time we see the likes of Hill, Denholm and Donnelly.

Danny Denholm played a big part in winning the League 2 title. Hill has been what you need in a reserve keeper - ok and inexpensive.

Danny Denholm played a big part in winning the League 2 title. Hill has been what you need in a reserve keeper - ok and inexpensive.

Danny played for Forfar that season, but then again in some ways you could be right about him playing a big part in us winning league 2 [emoji848]

DD wasn't with us the season we won the league 2 title, but he was very good last season and has been ok this season. Hill is a number 2 goalie ffs who has been brilliant for Arbroath. Been there to help out DJ and won the league with us before.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Has Denholm been that bad?  A player I've always liked and if he's free in the summer I wouldn't mind us shoving a deal his way.
Was going to ask the same thing. There's a few players in that Arbroath team that would probably struggle to make the step up but would be ideal for ourselves next season. How has Greig Spence looked? I know he hasn't scored many (has he even scored at all?) but his record at this level speaks for itself.

Was going to ask the same thing. There's a few players in that Arbroath team that would probably struggle to make the step up but would be ideal for ourselves next season. How has Greig Spence looked? I know he hasn't scored many (has he even scored at all?) but his record at this level speaks for itself.

Greig has struggled to settle in. I feel a goal and his confidence will go up. Him and Donnelly have not exactly hit the ground running at Gayfield

I'm very glad that we go into this game not needing a result. That would've been horribly tense.

Since January Arbroath seem to have taken their foot off the gas a wee bit - doing enough to keep their comfortable lead at the top, but without being anywhere near as red hot as they were earlier in the season. Combine that with our recent form and getting a result doesn't seem anywhere near as impossible as it did when we went up in October having only just punted Aitken.

It'll be the last chance we get to see a few members of this squad in a Sons shirt and, whilst I'm going to treasure every moment of watching DT in action, I really hope Beany gets a decent run out. He's been some player even though things haven't worked out second time around,  is a model pro and a guy who really understands what playing for DFC means to the fans. If he could mark what, I would assume, will be his final appearance for us with another goal against the Lichties (and what would be his 200th in senior football) then I'd be over the moon for him. 

Depending on results elsewhere a draw could see us finish fifth. Which would be utterly remarkable given the season we've had. That has to be the incentive for the players in this one - because the extra prize money could make a huge difference.

First game was a 1-1 draw - https://www.skysports.com/football/dumbarton-vs-arbroath/391526

Second game we beat you 3-1  https://www.skysports.com/football/arbroath-vs-dumbarton/391561

Third game we had two defenders playing 

Fourth game we have two defenders available! 

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

A win here  and we'll have won the head-to-heads v Arbroath this term. What a weird season :huh:  

Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps

11 minutes ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

First game was a 1-1 draw - https://www.skysports.com/football/dumbarton-vs-arbroath/391526

Second game we beat you 3-1  https://www.skysports.com/football/arbroath-vs-dumbarton/391561

Third game we had two defenders playing 

That 3-1 game you won we had Robbie Mutch in goals, a defence consisting of Andy Dowie (who would retire some weeks later), Ross Perry (permacrock and not very good footballer), our best central midfielder (and Player of the Year) at left back and no manager.  It's rather embarrassing that you only notched 3 goals and even managed to concede one.

I think if we win on Saturday it's clear that the true champions have not been crowned this year.

Danny played for Forfar that season, but then again in some ways you could be right about him playing a big part in us winning league 2 [emoji848]

🤦‍♂️ Doh, you’re right. What I meant was he chipped in with plenty of goals last season.

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Arbroath fans have been incredibly negative at times this season considering it's one of the best years in your history.

1 hour ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Third game we lost 2-0

So if we win this then we'll have won the head-to-head with Arbroath? Glad you cleared that up ;)

I actually took a look at the team which lost 3-1 at Gayfield under Ian Durrant and Jamie Ewings when I was working on the infographic this morning - and my goodness it was a mess.

Robbie Mutch

Cammy Ballantyne Andy Dowie Ross Perry Scott Allardice

Bobby Barr Kyle Hutton Stuart Carswell Brad Spencer Dom Thomas

Iain Russell

Calum Gallagher was an unused sub(!) and Ross Forbes only came on with 20 minutes remaining for Bobby Barr. After 74 minutes it was 1-1 and we effectively started playing without a striker because Beany was replaced by Michael Paton. After 77 minutes we were 3-1 down :lol:

I actually forgot Scott Allardice even existed, let alone played at left-back :lol:

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had in my head that Allardice played in midfield with Carswell at left back?

Nope, I remember him selling the equaliser after being robbed of possession by the by-line. Gave it a watch back just there on SonsTV too - and he was definitely at left-back :lol:

We missed some amount of chances that day. I had forgotten about the one Beany hit straight at Jamieson from about two yards.

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Arbroath fans have been incredibly negative at times this season considering it's one of the best years in your history.

It's because we scooshed the league in the first half of the season. The league was practically won by January when Raith didn't sign anyone.

Compare to winning the League 2 years ago when we only went top on the 2nd last game of the season, there was a much bigger buzz.