SNP on Climate Change

RubixPubes

Think the most infuriating position I could take to annoy my mates is to be a Paul Mason Scottish nationalist. Full blown "let's frack and drill so every Scot can be their own aristocrat." Worst part is there's definitely a current of SNP supporter that will argue exactly for that.

On 4/29/2019 at 05:11, RubixPubes said:

Is Nicola Sturgeon proposing that an independent Scotland is to shut down the North Sea oil fields?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48077802

That's highly unlikely given that Scotland is the only country within the EU that has modern accessible high yield oil reserves.

Romania has reserves but the infrastructure is in a poor state, much like Baku before BP moved in. 

The North Sea and West of Shetland fields will be a good bargaining chip for Scotlands EU entry as an independant country. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

We should be leaving all the fossil fuels where they are. The SNP have made some positive steps with renewables and I hope they continue to do so. But talk a whole load of shite in general surrounding green policies and climate change. Any green principles they have had have been shown to disappear at the sight of big bucks.... i.e the trump golf course in Aberdeenshire, which led to destruction of protected environmental areas.

Not enough done on climate change imo

This recent crop of climate change activists is the worst yet. Do people not realise that leaving all fossil fuels where they are and cutting emissions too far and too soon would destabilise the whole world economy leading to untold levels of famine, war, misery and death in the developing world.

Edited by ForzaDundee

This recent crop of climate change activists is the worst yet. Do people not realise that leaving all fossil fuels where they are and cutting emissions too far and too soon would destabilise the whole world economy leading to untold levels of famine, war, misery and death in the developing world.
If done overnight, on a world scale then yes. A gradual process of moving from fossils fuels to renewables is how we all have to operate. I'd quite like to see scotland at the forefront of countries moving to disassociate ourselves from those practices. My point was more aimed at the SNP apparently basing scotlands future prospects, be it independent (hopefully) or not, entirely on all our oil reserves. When really if they are serious about scotland being a green, sustainable country we should not be promoting the extraction of oil as much.

15 minutes ago, AuAl said:
24 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

the SNP apparently basing scotlands future prospects, be it independent (hopefully) or not, entirely on all our oil reserves. 

Entirely? Really?

Entirely is possibly too strong. Largely maybe more appropriate. Seems to me that most of the conversation about the economy of an independent Scotland features oil oil oil. 
Only because it's running out.

39 minutes ago, AuAl said:
48 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

If done overnight, on a world scale then yes. A gradual process of moving from fossils fuels to renewables is how we all have to operate. I'd quite like to see scotland at the forefront of countries moving to disassociate ourselves from those practices. My point was more aimed at the SNP apparently basing scotlands future prospects, be it independent (hopefully) or not, entirely on all our oil reserves. When really if they are serious about scotland being a green, sustainable country we should not be promoting the extraction of oil as much.

This is already being done on a global scale but it won't be and shouldn't be in our lifetime. I was talkng about the draconian measures that most of the modern activists are calling for would be disastrous. The whole "we're in a climate emergency" thing is nonsense from people with no background in policy or techno-economics.

17 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Entirely is possibly too strong. Largely maybe more appropriate. Seems to me that most of the conversation about the economy of an independent Scotland features oil oil oil.

You're quite correct in what you say but we have to live with that as it is our biggest asset economically and it will be around for many generations to come, the Claire field alone West of Shetland is larger than the whole East Shetland basin put together.

Right now the North Sea/Atlantic has the largest rig/platform activity in the world with 184 rigs.

The demand for oil will continue worldwide for generations until a financially economic substitute becomes marketable, right now we will continue to hammer away on our plastic keyboards.

The majority of Scots mainly in the Central belt are unaware of the revenue income from our oil which is being squandered by Westminster on the likes of London's 15 mile Crossrail project which is now nearing £20billion costs.

We never see that type of money being spent on Scotland.

As for the Firth of Clyde, not far from where AuA1 posts, it is known that there are oil and gas reserves in this area similar to Morecambe Bay, which would have been of great economic benefit to that area of Scotland if Westminster and the MOD hadn't denied drilling exploration due to the imagined detrimental effect it would have had on nuclear submarine access and egress. 

Portavadie was a prime example of the cart before the horse which resulted in failure because of the above.

1 hour ago, ForzaDundee said:

This is already being done on a global scale but it won't be and shouldn't be in our lifetime. I was talkng about the draconian measures that most of the modern activists are calling for would be disastrous. The whole "we're in a climate emergency" thing is nonsense from people with no background in policy or techno-economics.

Given your last foray into this forum was to defend Jordan Peterson I would be interested to know who you're basing this conclusion off of. I don't pretend to understand the details myself but I've read plenty from folk who purport to know that it's getting a bit desperate in terms of making people give a shit before it's too late.

I understand and agree with your part about the drastic measures that some call for not being suitable.  But are you saying that whether there is a climate emergency or not, its nonsense to say there is unless they have background in policy or techno-economics? Are people not able to educate themselves on the topic and have an opinion without being a professional in the industry?

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Given your last foray into this forum was to defend Jordan Peterson I would be interested to know who you're basing this conclusion off of. I don't pretend to understand the details myself but I've read plenty from folk who purport to know that it's getting a bit desperate in terms of making people give a shit before it's too late.

Jacob Wohl, most likely.