Irish sitcom - title please?

GordonD

Does anybody remember an Irish sitcom from, I think, the 1980s? It was set in Belfast and the lead characters were a local Protestant guy and his fiancée, a Catholic nurse originally from the South. His best mate was a bit thick, and hers was a staunch Republican, so naturally these two hated each other. Think Gavin and Stacey, though AFAIR this pair never came remotely close to shagging, unlike Smithy and Nesta.

The only thing I can remember about the lead actor is that he was one of the people who did voiceovers for Gerry Adams and his colleagues, at the time when Adams' own voice was banned from broadcast. When he appeared on TV as himself they had to put a caption up advising people that he was just reading from a script and not expressing his own views!

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Does anybody remember an Irish sitcom from, I think, the 1980s? It was set in Belfast and the lead characters were a local Protestant guy and his fiancée, a Catholic nurse originally from the South. His best mate was a bit thick, and hers was a staunch Republican, so naturally these two hated each other. Think Gavin and Stacey, though AFAIR this pair never came remotely close to shagging, unlike Smithy and Nesta.

The only thing I can remember about the lead actor is that he was one of the people who did voiceovers for Gerry Adams and his colleagues, at the time when Adams' own voice was banned from broadcast. When he appeared on TV as himself they had to put a caption up advising people that he was just reading from a script and not expressing his own views!

I'm intrigued - the name I found for the actor is Conor Grimes. 

Edit: could it be Foreign Bodies? 

Edited by paranoid android

37 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Edit: could it be Foreign Bodies? 

It wasn't Conor Grimes (though he did do Sinn Fein voiceovers) but the show was indeed Foreign Bodies. Dan Gordon was the man I had in mind. His wikipedia entry doesn't say he did them but I'm sure I remember him being interviewed about it.

Thanks for the show title though!

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Edit: could it be Foreign Bodies

That show completely passed me by, must have been pretty atrocious even by BBC NI "comedy" standards.

I have a similar question.

There's a show with a priest who stays in a rural parish. He seems to be quite apathetic towards religion and gets in to all manner of situations and hijinks. He lives with a younger priest who is quite dim and who doesn't really believe the whole religion thing, and an older priest who is a drunk and shouts a limited selection of words when not passed out in his seat in the corner.

They have a housemaid who is very keen on tea.

Can't remember the name of the show...

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

There's a show with a priest who stays in a rural parish. He seems to be quite apathetic towards religion and gets in to all manner of situations and hijinks. He lives with a younger priest who is quite dim and who doesn't really believe the whole religion thing, and an older priest who is a drunk and shouts a limited selection of words when not passed out in his seat in the corner.

Dangermouse

Father Ben

Only Fools And Horses, you plonker.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I was trying to remember this the other day. I know the lead character is a Father called Ted, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the programme.

On 28/04/2019 at 19:50, DA Baracus said:

All Gas & Gaiters, with Derek Nimmo.

On 4/28/2019 at 19:50, DA Baracus said:

River City.

• 2 weeks later...