Ayr vs Alloa

7 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Ayr can and should do whatever suits us best. The idea that we should somehow care about other sides is bizarre given it’s their own fault (like us last season) that after 35 games it all comes down to 1 game.

As for the game itself, I believe Hilton is back at Hurlford so won’t be involved. Other than McCowan and Ecrepont the most likely would be Hewitt, Thorburn and McKenzie given they played in the friendly last month against BSC Glasgow.

Is there no rules in Scotland that say you can't play  a young weak team .

Surely you should be made to play your best team why should Ayr get away with playing a young team not fair on the other clubs .

Surely you should be made to play your best team why should Ayr get away with playing a young team not fair on the other clubs .

Maybe if you weren’t so shite you wouldn’t be in a position to finish in the play offs.

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Just win your game m8. 

IMG_20190428_205309.jpg

Why would we disadvantage ourselves to save another team? The context being we have a small injury ravaged squad who have near enough played 1/3 of the season in the last month.

We also have a shot at going up via playoffs which is potentially a further 6 games. We will need our youth players so giving them a run out and building fitness of others is important.

To put it in a short way, don't be shite on Saturday and worry about what your own team is doing.

29 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Deary me.

Ayr will do what is best for Ayr. I'd expect us to do exactly the same if we were in their position.

They have players who need a rest,  others who need game time and some out injured.

They'll still put a decent team on the pitch.

If we aren't safe by Saturday evening we should be looking closer to home for the reasons for that.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Deary me.

Ayr will do what is best for Ayr. I'd expect us to do exactly the same if we were in their position.

They have players who need a rest,  others who need game time and some out injured.

They'll still put a decent team on the pitch.

If we aren't safe by Saturday evening we should be looking closer to home for the reasons for that.

Yep, under normal circumstances the best 11 available should play, in our current situation I feel we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot playing our best 11, I'm sure McCall will field a decent enough side and I certainly don't want/expect them to lie down, as much as I'd like to see Alloa staying up after last season, it's really down to Alloa, Partick & yourself to retain your place in the Championship, all 3 have it in your own hands, no excuses.

Edited by ayrmad

McCall won't play more than one debutante maximum - he is a firm believer in blending in youth slowly. Too slowly for some.

We'll field a strong enough side Saturday to win the match, maybe not as strong as we could if we needed a win to get in the play-offs but it will feature at least seven regular starters, probably eight or nine, and all bar one maybe will be players that have been regulars on the bench.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

Looking at how much everyone’s played the past month or so, I’d say Smith and Harvie definitley need rested - along with Crawford and Murdoch. Probably wouldn’t be the worst idea to rest Rose either and I wouldn’t be risking Geggan even if his injury isn’t serious at all. Moffat shouldn’t be playing the whole match either.

Realistically though, Rose along with one of Smith or Harvie will almost certainly play as we don’t have the depth in defence to rest any more than one at a time (unless McCall brings in a number of the youth players but he’s hardly been known to do that over the past 4 and a bit years). Crawford and Murdoch could easily be dropped for Docherty and Kerr though and it should be easy enough to rest Moff and Geggan given our now relative abundance of midfielders.

Does anyone know much about the right back and centre halves for the youth team? We might need them.

After yesterday, I'm wondering if we could employ the guy who looks after that Firhill pitch. Ours, in sharp contrast, hasn't been good recently and may go some way to explaining some poor performances at home. Discuss.

After yesterday, I'm wondering if we could employ the guy who looks after that Firhill pitch. Ours, in sharp contrast, hasn't been good recently and may go some way to explaining some poor performances at home. Discuss.
Do we even employ someone the now? I thought the guy doing it was a volunteer

Agreed, plus the narrow pitch doesn't help our style of play either.

3 minutes ago, Bromley Trialist said:

Hi,

Following the relegation rumble from Down South...does anyone know if there's an (internet) radio station covering the game at Somerset this Saturday (and/or any of the other key games)?

TIA. 

AU media cover games for £5. You will get a link on the main Ayr United page. You will need to listen to their drivel about who is eating what kind of pie and what type of curry they had the night before the match though.

15 hours ago, Jazzar said:

I'm unsure who our groundsman is currently or whether or not he's even employed but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get advice / assistance from local greenkeepers at the likes of St Cuthberts / St Nicks etc.

I know that in my own hometown Ian Barr who's the head greenkeeper at Largs GC has been dealing with Valefield (Ladeside's ground) and it's made an absolutely enormous difference.

I hope that all Bairns and Queens fans are happy to accept the outcome of this game regardless of how it falls. Ayr are entitled to field whichever signed players they choose. Ayr owe us no favours having already giving us six points. We can ask or expect nothing more from them.

On 28/04/2019 at 12:08, AyrExile said:

IIRC Alloa were still playing for something last season so hardly a noble act. Rest and squad size are more important than momentum for these particular play offs. Not sure the team finishing 3rd or 4th has ever been successful and by the fourth game missing players takes its toll. We need to look after ourselves and not worry about other teams who’ve shitfested their way through a piss poor season 

We were already in the play-offs before those two games against Ayr and Raith. I actually felt it was a questionable policy from Goodwin to put so much into the two games. It paid off beautifully in the end as the momentum built up over the two games - and the mental blow we gave Raith on the last day - saw us surge past them in the play-off semi. We looked tired in the final though and a few key men were carrying injuries after 4 big games in the previous few weeks. I think we were helped by Steve Aitken being such a shitbag and trying to defend a lead for 175 minutes. Had Dumbarton actually gone for us I think they could have delivered a knock out blow. They didn't and Jim Goodwin can justifiably say he got it bang on. With Ayr potentially having 6 games though I certainly wouldn't play the strongest team here. 

That doesn't mean they won't win anyway. We already lost to an ICT side in a fairly similar situation. Also recall Hartley playing loads of kids in our last league game before the play-offs a few years back and one of them, a 15 year old, scoring the winner to deny Arbroath a play-off place :lol:

Anyway, have to say I worry we have blown it by throwing away leads in our last two games. I always felt we could lose the last three and that Somerset was the least likely place for a win. The danger of 10th is real. But this Alloa side will give it a good shot and we'll see where we end up. 

Just for the record here, we owe absolutely nothing to Alloa. Aye they held Raith to a draw on the last day however beat us the week before.

That being said I do hope they stay up so there’s at least two PT teams in the league next season.