The Caledonian Thistles -vs- The Dunfermline Athletics

A lot of people seem to think that Aberdeen is pretty close to Inverness. 

Perth would have been the best choice for the replay. Easy to get to for both sets of fans and would have looked better given it's smaller capacity.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

We’ve had quite a few meaningful games against ICT. 

semi final

they relegated us

playoff extra time game

I also remember a game we were cruising at EEP and they got the softest penalty ever. Quite a few ICT players were laughing.

https://youngpars.co.uk/story.php?ID=2001&CATEGORY=7-Match Reports

Only a couple of months after that semi, the tables were turned as we got our first ever SPL win, 2-0 at Pittodrie. 

The following January the first ever SPL game in the Highlands was a convincing 2-0 win to ICT. 

Also I’m sure you pretty much clinched promotion at ours around 2000.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Only a couple of months after that semi, the tables were turned as we got our first ever SPL win, 2-0 at Pittodrie. 

The following January the first ever SPL game in the Highlands was a convincing 2-0 win to ICT. 

Also I’m sure you pretty much clinched promotion at ours around 2000.

The the middle game there I was at (as was @Stellaboz). It was a pathetic display and one of the most memorably shit. I get annoyed just thinking about it!

Last one was a 1-2 win that did indeed secure us promotion in 2000. I was at the 1-1 draw in Inverness earlier in the season. Really liked the ground then. The crappy stands behind the goals are rubbish.

41 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Last one was a 1-2 win that did indeed secure us promotion in 2000. I was at the 1-1 draw in Inverness earlier in the season. Really liked the ground then. The crappy stands behind the goals are rubbish.

I was at both of those, back in the days when I had a season ticket. The 1-1 game is the only time I’ve persuaded Mrs Mantis along to a home game :lol:

I think it was pretty even until the equaliser, then we started to become the better team. After half time we blew them away, although Stillie made an incredible save not too long in to the second half (can't mind if it was just before or just after Brewster's goal) 

Brewster though :wub:

The the middle game there I was at (as was [mention=27442]Stellaboz[/mention]). It was a pathetic display and one of the most memorably shit. I get annoyed just thinking about it!
One of the worst displays ever. Bunch of utter shitebags on the park. I rather foolishly broke a seat that day and took it home,for it to live under my bed for about 4 years before going in the bin.

15 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

We’ve had quite a few meaningful games against ICT. 

semi final

they relegated us

playoff extra time game

I also remember a game we were cruising at EEP and they got the softest penalty ever. Quite a few ICT players were laughing.

https://youngpars.co.uk/story.php?ID=2001&CATEGORY=7-Match Reports

I remember that night. A normally quite quiet gentleman who sat in front of us in the Norrie had a complete meltdown over Jamie McCunnie's lack of ability to slide tackle.

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What a pass from Bingham for the first from Inverness in the replay. 

Sure I've posted this before but that pass by Bingo is one of the finest passes I've ever seen from an ICT player. Just perfection. What a waste of his talent to head off to slum it in Division 3 with Gretna at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Sure I've posted this before but that pass by Bingo is one of the finest passes I've ever seen from an ICT player. Just perfection. What a waste of his talent to head off to slum it in Division 3 with Gretna at the end of the season.

Exclusive footage of Bingham wishing he'd stayed in the Highlands

bingham.gif

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

21 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I remember someone on the Terrace Podcast saying once that Inverness to Aberdeen must be a 100 mile round trip. It’s more than double that on the A96.

It's effectively triple that.

A 100 mile round trip from either Aberdeen or Inverness would only get you to Keith (I did that commute for a few months), so it's a 200 mile round trip from Inverness to Aberdeen.  However, the A96 is a dreadful mostly single-carriageway road and I think most people presume it's dualled all the way, when the reality is that you'll be stuck doing 30mph behind a horsebox at Pitcaple, a tractor at Keith, shoppers in Elgin and a trail of scone-hunters at Morgan McVeighs.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's effectively triple that.

A 100 mile round trip from either Aberdeen or Inverness would only get you to Keith (I did that commute for a few months), so it's a 200 mile round trip from Inverness to Aberdeen.  However, the A96 is a dreadful mostly single-carriageway road and I think most people presume it's dualled all the way, when the reality is that you'll be stuck doing 30mph behind a horsebox at Pitcaple, a tractor at Keith, shoppers in Elgin and a trail of scone-hunters at Morgan McVeighs.

That's one route as well where taking the train is far quicker.  If you drive from Inverness to Edinburgh or even by bus, the time is always three and a half hours as it is on the train.  Even if you just go to Elgin, the time from Inverness driving is about an hour, while on the train is closer to 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

That's one route as well where taking the train is far quicker.  If you drive from Inverness to Edinburgh or even by bus, the time is always three and a half hours as it is on the train.  Even if you just go to Elgin, the time from Inverness driving is about an hour, while on the train is closer to 40 minutes.

The bus on the other hand takes over 4 hours (yes, FOUR)

That amazingly averages out to <25 mph.