Abbey park end of an era

wow-wee

During the 98/99 season I saw a superb heads-gone from a player with the away side.  His team were getting lashed about 7 or 8-0 (midweek game towards the end of the season, possibly a cup) and one of the Buffs fans was giving him and his team a fair bit of a slagging.  This was right in front of the changing rooms area of the pitch.
Anyways the opposition player was taking a throw in and instead of throwing the ball and carrying on with the game he threw the ball and then proceeded to turn round and start swinging at the Buffs fan.  Red card followed and I think the fan ended up following him into the changing room.

Ian dick (ex buffs player)remember it well[emoji23][emoji23]

28 minutes ago, The'FORD said:

I remember a cup game at Abbey Park (late 1980’s).
I think it was the West.
It was 2-2 going into the closing stages and the then Hurlford keeper (Jack Steel from Larkhall) had been taking pelters from the home fans in the shed behind the goal end. Buffs got a late penalty and big Jack saved it and proceeded to turn and cross himself much to the annoyance of the locals.
The shed emptied onto the pitch and bedlam ensued.

Being from Larkhall Jack was as blue nosed as they came and I may be corrected but I think he later went on to play for the buffs.
All the best at your new place.

Remember it well I was right behind the goal when it happened the full back also got down on his knees and crossed himself too then all you heard was get the xxxxxxxxs . At the replay there were about 5 of 6 buses went to Blair park and met with about 20 polis . Can't remember who won the reply but during the game we were winding up Boyd sneddon who was a kilwinning  guy playing with ford and he was winding up the buffs fans then at full time the cops were going to arrest him until the buffs fans explained who he was .

I think it was the West.
It was 2-2 going into the closing stages and the then Hurlford keeper (Jack Steel from Larkhall) had been taking pelters from the home fans in the shed behind the goal end. Buffs got a late penalty and big Jack saved it and proceeded to turn and cross himself much to the annoyance of the locals.

Being from Larkhall Jack was as blue nosed as they came and I may be corrected but I think he later went on to play for the buffs.
Didn't know Jack played for Hurlford

24 minutes ago, buffy1899 said:

My best memories were great goals, the best being Gerry Pelinie against Partick thistle in a friendly and Mick Wardropes from the half way line.Nearly 3 thousand crammed in against Camelon in the Scottish ,late 80s I think

Remember the game against the medda when there was a 22 man brawal on the pitch then when the ref got it under control he sent of big broon the medda goalie and drew Walsh along with Gerry pelinie  when they got behind the old club and out of site from the ref Gerry and drew were rolling around on the ground knocking lumps out of each other. Another famous scrap with medda was when the buffs physio punched Gary faulds and knocked several of his teeth out and Gary later became buffs manager on two occasions.

3 minutes ago, larky9 said:
1 hour ago, The said:
I think it was the West.

Didn't know Jack played for Hurlford

Yes we signed him the following season after the incident with hurlford

Remember the game against the medda when there was a 22 man brawal on the pitch then when the ref got it under control he sent of big broon the medda goalie and drew Walsh along with Gerry pelinie  when they got behind the old club and out of site from the ref Gerry and drew were rolling around on the ground knocking lumps out of each other. Another famous scrap with medda was when the buffs physio punched Gary faulds and knocked several of his teeth out and Gary later became buffs manager on two occasions.

Dont remember the scrap with Drew n Gerry,wish I had,as had a drink with both of them in the last few months.Was hard 4 Faulds 2 b accepted by the Tuffs,as they never forgot those derbies.

it was a place i kinda hoped the winton would lose at, it increased my survival chances, mind once giving allan mcluckie jnr pelters and he flattened me, then my mother picked us up after the match and the genteel buffs fans were trying to haul me out of the car to give me more tea and biscuits, got in locked doors and told mum to get the effin foot down

did get a bit of revenge a few years later when i was with beith on the day they won the superleague at buffs park, the bellsdale soccer crew didnt piss about.... the kosh got well koshed

it was a place i kinda hoped the winton would lose at, it increased my survival chances, mind once giving allan mcluckie jnr pelters and he flattened me, then my mother picked us up after the match and the genteel buffs fans were trying to haul me out of the car to give me more tea and biscuits, got in locked doors and told mum to get the effin foot down
did get a bit of revenge a few years later when i was with beith on the day they won the superleague at buffs park, the bellsdale soccer crew didnt piss about.... the kosh got well koshed

I'm no having that last bit,the Kosh were undefeated in their own backyard [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

For me it’s where my dad took me to see my first game of football, and where I stood at the same spot with him watching games for the next 40 years. He’s no longer here but I still stand at the same spot and that’s what I will miss. Sure a few will have the same sort of memories and I will go for one final time next week.

Always remember a game, must of been late 80’s, Buffs v Meadow I think between Xmas and new year, pouring rain, end to end stuff with Buffs winning 5-4.

1 hour ago, wintonfan said:

Beith have never won a super league in our history at buffs Park, so no doubt your other nonsense about soccer crews beating other soccer crews is nonsense too, I think you've been watching too much Danny dyer football factory stuff mate. 

On 25/04/2019 at 21:27, wow-wee said:

On May 8th Abbey park will host it's last ever game against auckinleck talbot you could not get a better team to give the old ground a proper send off. The buffs have played there for 90 years and have seen many ups and downs it will be a sad end to the old place but we move on and create new history at the new ground.

What's your greatest memories of the place ?

As a fan I have many over the years from the 1999 Scottish cup run , winning the adl under George greirson when troon were the big spenders that season recently hammering a strong linlithgow rose team in the last 8 of the Scottish

My one and only visit and probably the biggest doing I have ever seen us receive. Glad its shutting doon :-)